Bth67

Dolphin rig?

Looking around I haven't seen much about dolphin rigs. Im in the market to get my own and am looking for a quality free fly friendly rig. Ive heard of the popular vector and javelin but not too much about the dolphin rigs and would love more information, or thoughts about the quality of the brand.

Hi,

Of all the Dolphin rigs i have see i would not say or recommend that they are Free Fly Ready or Friendly (they have a lot of Velcro and not enough free fly protection bits) . they are however a Cheap rig, ideal for people who want a a cheap rig early in there Skydiving career. in my opinion they are only suited for Belly Flying.
as for a build Quality i have no issues with them as they have a very simple design.
they are a a cheaper version of a Javelin container and if my memories serves correctly, the same guy invented both.

unless they have made improvements to the rig i would not get one for Free Fyinng,

My opinion and 2 cents only

Irish

I had my dolphin modified by Altico to have a bridle cover to make it free fry friendlier. It still popped out in a sitfly

https://www.facebook.com/mike.derge/videos/vb.100001530256245/918677044859962/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

I stopped sit flying until I bought a free fly friendly rig. Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't freefly a dolphin even if it has been modified to be free fly friendly.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

The Dolphin as built by Altico is not ideal for freeflying. If you want new gear at lower prices-look at the Triton from PMI. It is the update to the Dolphin and is based off the original TSO. I haven't jumped the rig personally-but I know that Aggie and Dave have included several updates to improve the security of the container.

Another option: consider looking at the classifieds/facebook gear page for something used first. Many modern, freefly friendly containers can be found for very good prices if you shop around a bit. An early/mid 2000's rig with a few hundred jumps on it will serve you well for less and be safer than pushing limits in a Dolphin.

Consult with your rigger on gear, have him/her receive the rig from the seller with a condition of buying the gear requiring an inspection by your rigger.

Cheers,

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

I have been looking around for awhile and found a dolphin rig that looked promising and thats why I was interested in more info. I appreciate everything, I still have yet to be able to get on the facebook page and am unsure how. I have been looking around classifieds for about a month now looking for the right rig.

I have a Dolphin from 2000 and have never had any issues sitflying with it. Your mileage may vary, but I would be careful about opinions from people who have never owned and/or jumped one. Yes, they have a lot of velcro which must be maintained, but that doesn't make them inherently unsafe. I will say that the only time I ever had a problem with mine was when I paid someone else to pack it and they did not follow the recommended pilot chute packing procedure which allowed the PC to start working its way out a little (maybe an inch) on a jump from 23k.

ppolstra

I have a Dolphin from 2000 and have never had any issues sitflying with it. Your mileage may vary, but I would be careful about opinions from people who have never owned and/or jumped one. Yes, they have a lot of velcro which must be maintained, but that doesn't make them inherently unsafe. I will say that the only time I ever had a problem with mine was when I paid someone else to pack it and they did not follow the recommended pilot chute packing procedure which allowed the PC to start working its way out a little (maybe an inch) on a jump from 23k.

I do not know what you are a professor of. But your sample size of one is not adequate to rate the free fly performance of a Dolphin. Dophins are not considered FF friendly. Period. They in fact ARE inherently unsafe for ff skydiving.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***I have a Dolphin from 2000 and have never had any issues sitflying with it. Your mileage may vary, but I would be careful about opinions from people who have never owned and/or jumped one. Yes, they have a lot of velcro which must be maintained, but that doesn't make them inherently unsafe. I will say that the only time I ever had a problem with mine was when I paid someone else to pack it and they did not follow the recommended pilot chute packing procedure which allowed the PC to start working its way out a little (maybe an inch) on a jump from 23k.

I do not know what you are a professor of. But your sample size of one is not adequate to rate the free fly performance of a Dolphin. Dophins are not considered FF friendly. Period. They in fact ARE inherently unsafe for ff skydiving.

Why are they inherently unsafe? What scientific study have you done to reach that conclusion? Do you have any personal experience with them? I'm just saying that in the world of aviation (not just skydiving) there are many opinions that are based on absolutely nothing. No exposed bridle on the Dolphin and a good patch of velcro holding it in place.

Just sharing my personal experience, not just random wisdom with no basis on facts.

Why are they inherently unsafe? What scientific study have you done to reach that conclusion? Do you have any personal experience with them? I'm just saying that in the world of aviation (not just skydiving) there are many opinions that are based on absolutely nothing. No exposed bridle on the Dolphin and a good patch of velcro holding it in place.

I've had lots of experience buying, selling and using Dolphins. They changed somewhat over the years. Newer ones at least have bridle cover flaps, but they still lack handle security. FF friendly containers have much more secure pin protection and much better riser covers. The lack of these protections make Dolphins unsafe for FF.

I'm not telling you not to try sit jumps with yours. I'm merely trying to make sure that the OP or anyone searching the topic in the future does not rely on your advice. Many of these lessons were learned they hard way. I really hope that does not happen to you.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The dolphin has been suggested to me semi-jokingly for two things: CRW and as a throwaway rig for jumping into water. It seems to not be very highly regarded for any kind of serious freefall, but I'm going to echo the others in this thread who have said to ask your rigger.
I'm not a lady, I'm a skydiver.

FlyLikeARaven

The dolphin has been suggested to me semi-jokingly for two things: CRW and as a throwaway rig for jumping into water. It seems to not be very highly regarded for any kind of serious freefall, but I'm going to echo the others in this thread who have said to ask your rigger.

I will repeat "ask you EXPERIENCED rigger". While someone through Handsome Dave's course this year has a rigging ticket they may not have the experience of judging gear for appropriate uses. A 10 day course does NOT impart infinite wisdom. It gives a license to learn.

The Dolphin is a perfectly fine rig for belly flying. I know several professional jumpers doing AFF or other student work who choose a Dolphin for it's economy. If you not into KEWL, it's fine. But it is not designed for serious freeflying. Can you get away with it? Sure, lots of us got away with it for years. Until we didn't have to anymore.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

gowlerk

I've had lots of experience buying, selling and using Dolphins. They changed somewhat over the years. Newer ones at least have bridle cover flaps, but they still lack handle security. FF friendly containers have much more secure pin protection and much better riser covers. The lack of these protections make Dolphins unsafe for FF.

I'm not telling you not to try sit jumps with yours. I'm merely trying to make sure that the OP or anyone searching the topic in the future does not rely on your advice. Many of these lessons were learned they hard way. I really hope that does not happen to you.

I would agree that if you are going to do any serious head down flying a FF handle for the PC is a must modification. I would point out that none of the more expensive "mainstream" containers ship with a FF handle by default. If you are doing some sit flying and your rig (including the Velcro) is in good condition the protection offered by the newer Dolphins seems about the same as that offered by the other containers that don't have the FF handle modification.

ppolstra

I can say from personal experience that the reserve deployments on the Dolphin works just fine. No experience with the Wings.

I'm sure there is at least one person in this world that has had a "just fine" reserve deployment on a Wings. Therefore I don't think there can be any problem whatsoever with reserve deployments on Wings either.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

ppolstra

I would agree that if you are going to do any serious head down flying a FF handle for the PC is a must modification. I would point out that none of the more expensive "mainstream" containers ship with a FF handle by default. If you are doing some sit flying and your rig (including the Velcro) is in good condition the protection offered by the newer Dolphins seems about the same as that offered by the other containers that don't have the FF handle modification.

Being freefly-friendly is about so many more things than just FF handle (or lack of it), it's about pin coverage, bridle coverage, how well the flaps fit and so on...