alexey

Metall from Bourdon Force

Recently I've ordered a bunch of hardware from them, and was shocked with finishing.
Metall seems rought, like after sandblasting.
Look on the photo, ring on the left

On the right - ring that I can order from DJ, Para-Gear or about any reseller of the world.
It is nice and smooth, and very different then ring on the left (BF)

What do you think about that?
Lexa

I believe your comparing two different finishes, products. You may not have ordered what you wanted.

Is this what you ordered?
http://catalog.bourdonforge.com/item/forged-metal-safety-o-rings/2005-o-ring-parachute-ring-2/2005

Look through their rings and you'll find different finishes, all PIA-H-7195 rings.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I wrote a letter to BF with photos.

And they answered that:

After review of Your photos, I don’t see any problems with the metallic hardware shipped to You, with surface finish as You describe. All metallic hardware made with Low Alloy 4140 is heat treated to Rc 38 – 42. During cooling cycle, there is De-carburization which is very hard up to Rc 50, and needs to be removed with appropriate media. There is two reasons: 1) to remove hard de-carb. 2) to roughen-up the surface before Cad Plating. The result is what You see on the part in Your possession. BFI has been manufacturing these parts for over 40 Years. And, again we follow the instructions from our Plating Vendor, since the days when DEP allowed, to use different process and add Brighteners to get better surfaces, now they don’t , as a result more aggressive shot blast is used, for above referenced reason. The same parts that You have, BFI is supplying to All of our customers with the same appearance . In addition we don’t have any other replacement, and our Plating Vendor is not planning to change their process. I don’t think You will have problems with the ribbons failing, no one has.

So - they dont have any other plating for their metall.

2. Quit chasing the price. I learned a long time ago ( and the hard way ) that you should go after quality only.

I didnt know that Bourdon Forge considered as "cheap" or "substandard" :)
Lexa