Dancingfisch

Bikini add on for Container?

Hey there,

I've seen a device (pretty sure it's called a bikini or something like that), that attaches to a standard sports rig and can allow you to put a much larger main canopy in the back of it. For instance your rig takes a 150 main but you want to jump a foil without getting a whole other rig just for it.

Anyone heard of these also or know where I can get one from?

As a rigger I just built one myself after seeing the Aussie style & accuracy team using them at the Worlds in 2003. They had more professionally built ones and looked good (although inevitably lumpy with a big main and small reserve).

Don't know the name for it. Three flaps and a back piece fit on top of the existing main container flaps (that are just tucked away underneath), and the original top flap and pin cover flap are used. The whole assembly velcros in some manner around the backpad and laterals in order to stay in position.

I had posted about it before on dz a couple times, when people asked about accommodating bigger canopies, but I never saw anyone else post, who had experience with such things. I use it to get a Paracommander into an already large accuracy rig.

Looking back at the Australian photos, I see they seem to have wrapped the new 3-flap container around from the backpad, leaving the existing flaps apparently just sitting around inside the new larger container space. I didn't like that so on my version, slapped the new backpad surface down on top of the old 3 flaps, avoiding any snag potential.

(I made mine pretty crude as it isn't needed for many jumps a year. It could have a more solid backpad against the user's back, but just has 3 strips of velcro on webbing. To keep the new container from sliding around, I also have a couple spots along the top edge where it ties off to tacked loops on the existing container.)

Dancingfisch

Awesome thanks for that mate. Exactly what I was talking about. Anyone have any idea of anyone selling them?

I guess these were made to order. Maybe you can ask the accuracy team about the jumpers that used them or which rigger made these?

I'm interested as well as it would solve a few problems for me. (No seperate rig to buy and maintain for those few accuracy and PC jumps I make).
Peter, as you have experience with this container extension, do you see any safety concerns? E.g. impeding the opening of the reserve container when it shifts around?

Cloggy

Peter, as you have experience with this container extension, do you see any safety concerns? E.g. impeding the opening of the reserve container when it shifts around?

As I said I didn't like the way it was that in the one picture of the Aussie rig, the original flaps are just left "inside" the new container. Looks like a line snag hazard.

Riser covers are somewhat messed up at the transition between the original container and the new add on (if doing in my way, not the Aussie way), where the original ones get squished down under the new add on - but it isn't like this mod is intended for freeflying.

As for shifting, my add-on container might slide down an inch since there is some flex with webbing and fabric, unless one built things really thick and solid. To prevent the new container from say sliding down an inch, I made it so one could tie the top edge of the add-on to points along that line between the main and reserve containers, at the backpad.

I could have made my add-on more sophisticated with thicker, stiffer, nicely tapered flaps, like most modern rigs, which reduces line snag potential.

Other than having a big bulky rig that hangs down lower, I don't see other major problems.

Thanks Peter. I hadn't seen the tie down loops at first in your picture, looking more closely now I see how it works.
I was also a bit concerned about the riser covers, I think I'll have to fold them down from the point where they taper to the original left and right flaps.