bodypilot90

Gay month at Philly schools

Schools are drifting way too far from their charters of existence. Math, Science, History, English/Literature, and Phys Ed, should be a absolute foundation.

Would it not be good to add geography in there too?

Oh wait, you're American - disregard!:P

LOL:D:D:D
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Phys ed is definitely as optional as, say, art, shop or home ec.

Are you sure about that?

Y'know, what with the huge wave of childhood obesity sweeping America (and most of the western world) right now is it wise to take phy ed so lightly?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

> Parents have given the education system too much rope and need to reign it in.

I think there's a misunderstanding about what's going on in this case. No one's teaching "gay studies" or "gay history." They're calling a month a name. No funding, or courses, or student time, or mandatory essays. There's nothing to "reign in."

>Math, Science, History, English/Literature, and Phys Ed, should be a absolute foundation.

Except that if you pushed that, someone would claim "school's for ritin. readin and rithmetic! I can make my kid do pushups myself; why do I have to get taxed to make kids do pushups!" Phys ed is definitely as optional as, say, art, shop or home ec.

If you take the position that school is for the purpose of producing competent little functionaries to toil away in the interests of corporations, then such things are indeed optional. If you take the position (which I do) that schools are to educate the citizens of tomorrow, then art, music, shop... are indispensible components of said education.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

> I have to disagree on this point. Parents have given the education system too much rope and need to reign it in.

I would have to say Private Schools and Home Schooling are beginning to be the only places a parent can insure their children get a good education without the crap.

>what with the huge wave of childhood obesity sweeping America (and
>most of the western world) right now is it wise to take phy ed so lightly?

Perhaps not.

But with the AIDS and e. coli epidemics, is it wise to cancel health class? Kids are dying!

And about that obesity epidemic - wouldn't home ec be a good idea? People who can cook are much less likely to get fat than people who eat at McDonald's regularly. (Would also help reduce e. coli deaths!)

That's the problem. Once you get away from the basics (i.e. english, math, science, history) there are a lot of things that would be "nice to know." Hence the debate. What ends up getting taught is usually a compromise between teaching them the basics and teaching them everything that could be useful. (i.e. what's more important - how to spell Kazakhstan, or how to navigate the Internet?)

i.e. what's more important - how to spell Kazakhstan, or how to navigate the Internet?

If they can't spell Kazakhstan how will they search for Borat film clips on YouTube? Won't somebody think of the children!:D

Schools are drifting way too far from their charters of existence. Math, Science, History, English/Literature, and Phys Ed, should be a absolute foundation.

Would it not be good to add geography in there too?

Oh wait, you're American - disregard!:P

Nah...let them learn that in college...:P Easy "A", there's America, then there's everywhere else, plus France. :D
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

> Parents have given the education system too much rope and need to reign it in.

I think there's a misunderstanding about what's going on in this case. No one's teaching "gay studies" or "gay history." They're calling a month a name. No funding, or courses, or student time, or mandatory essays. There's nothing to "reign in."

Yes there is: Just because some council, or public service entity announces "X-history-month" does not mean it has to translate to providing overviews or announcements at school. Maybe provide an elective to Seniors or Juniors in HS, but forget about the lower classmen or Junior High/Middle Schools.

>Math, Science, History, English/Literature, and Phys Ed, should be a absolute foundation.

Except that if you pushed that, someone would claim "school's for ritin. readin and rithmetic! I can make my kid do pushups myself; why do I have to get taxed to make kids do pushups!" Phys ed is definitely as optional as, say, art, shop or home ec.

That's one possible extreme, but reintroducing the "Physical Fitness Program" wouldn't hurt anyone. Besides, gym class for me back in the day was things like kick-ball, dodge ball, etc. Hardly contact sports. Additionally, it contributed to a sense of sportsmanship which is sorely missing in the organized sports programs (especially among parents).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Nah...let them learn that in college...[Tongue] Easy "A", there's America, then there's everywhere else, plus France. [Laugh]

Of course, how can you hate them properly if you don't know where they are? Nothing worse than looking at a map one day and finding out you'd accidentally been hating Outer Mongolia because you thought it was full of Frenchies!:D

Besides, gym class for me back in the day was things like kick-ball, dodge ball, etc.

Ahh the 5 D's of Dodgeball. Dodge, dip, duck, dive and... dodge:P

I disagree, with all the problems of school systems, they (school boards) should have way more things to think about and plan than a gay history month. The board members that back this should be voted out of office for lack of focus on the problems of the school system instead of trying to appease some tiny liberal group.

The board members that back this should be voted out of office for lack of focus on the problems of the school system instead of trying to appease some tiny liberal group.

The Philadelphia board members are from an urban population sampling that is fairly moderate-to-liberal, even though it's one of the largest cities in the US, so I doubt they consider the population that voted them into office to be tiny. Maybe we should repeal Flag Day, instead of pandering to the tiny group of radical, out-of-touch conservatives forcing it down our throats.

> No funding, or courses, or student time, or mandatory essays

I'm not weighing in on a position, but that statement is incorrect to anybody with kids in school. If you have a 'theme' month, lots of teachers will assign work to 'feature' that month, or event, etc. You should see some of the stuff that gets tied to normally constructive, innocuous assignments.

I'm partial to "January, February, etc - though the month of Bob has merit as an idea. And there's only 12 months anyway, and a lot more causes than just 12 in the world. How is that inclusive for those that don't make the implied TOP 12?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Children should learn about the history of the whole before the history of a part. Does it matter that a student knows about the history of homosexuals (or white, black, men, women, etc...) in America if they don't know about the history of America?

I hear the constant complaint that Americans are falling behind in education. Are the countries that are springing ahead having these months?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

The Philadelphia board members are from an urban population sampling that is fairly moderate-to-liberal, even though it's one of the largest cities in the US, so I doubt they consider the population that voted them into office to be tiny.

that is not what I said.......

what I said was

The board members that back this should be voted out of office for lack of focus on the problems of the school system instead of trying to appease some tiny liberal group.

I was not talking about who voted them in, but speaking to the group who wanted to bring this before the board. Maybe you believe one day the board decided they needed a gay history month. I do not.

...and MY point is that you presume that this was done to "appease some tiny liberal group" , when in fact it may very well have been done to reflect the values of the board's greater constituency. Put another way, your entire rhetorical description of what was done seeks to marginalize it(a) as "appeasement", as opposed to a reflection of values; (b) as "tiny", as opposed to a larger constituency, i.e., one dedicated to eliminating bigotry of all kinds, and (c) by hauling out "the L-word", which for some reason conservatives, cheerleader-style, think is all that needs to be said, the rest simply being understood -- all the while oblivious to the fact that every time they barf-out the L-word, everyone else's eyes just glaze over.

Maybe you believe one day the board decided they needed a gay history month. I do not.

That's because you think every place is like your place, and everyone thinks the way you think. 'Taint so, Bill. Urban Philadelphia is worlds away from Central Florida.

Some people complain about African American history month each year, she said.

" 'Why isn't there a white male history month?' we'll hear," she said.

LOL, I always love these comments. Where is MY white history month?! dammit!! whitey's always getting left out...

Then I heard the reply..."Whitey already has his...it's every other month on the calendar."

OH...that's right.

Down with the white man!

You want to dictate what your child learns and thinks? Homeschool them. You want to dictate what they are exposed to (good luck)? Homeschool. Don't send them to public school. Unless that is, you've forgotten what the term "public" means. Just in case some of you need help, I invite you to take any form of public mass transportation on the way home from work. Report back how much everyone looks the same/acts the same/talks the same, etc.

Seriously if that was my mom, I'd have a hard time not telling her to STFU. STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT STUPID $HIT! It's a $2 calendar printed on recycled paper. It won't make your son gay (unless he already likes guys).
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

reflect the values of the board's greater constituency

give me a break, like the marriage amendments that are overwhelmingly pass. Gays are far from a "greater constituency." unless you are in key west or san fran.

That's because you think every place is like your place, and everyone thinks the way you think. 'Taint so, Bill. Urban Philadelphia is worlds away from Central Florida.

I have more than likely lived in more countries than you have lived in states maybe even cities. I have lived all around the states as well, so I have a little better idea than most how different people are around the states. However just because npr and Dr Phil says it's right don't make it so

if you don't like the word liberal then what would you like to call someone backing the secular progressive agenda.

School systems have enough problems teaching little johnny to read to be wasting time and money on gay pride month.

>Gays are far from a "greater constituency."

True. So are blacks. So are hispanics. But the people who think that blacks, gays, hispanics etc should have the same rights as anyone else constitutes a lot of people, and it's growing all the time.

> School systems have enough problems teaching little johnny to read
>to be wasting time and money on gay pride month.

No one is proposing a "gay pride" month, nor are they proposing spending any money on it.

Oh, here we go. I see youv'e never been to Philly, to say that blacks are not part of the "greater constituency". <edit to remove unduly offensive material ~TA> Thats bigotry thats racist, to compare a perversion to the color of a mans skin which God created.
I'll tel ya what I'd like to see about some queer month. How about explaining how they destroy the english language. How your parents or grandparents cant use a word anymore to descibe a happy joyful feeling. How a rainbow has become a sign other than never again the earth be flooded or the beauty of it. How about when you travel to work jobs across the states with another straight friend but you gotta watch sayin "partner". Take a hard look. They twist everything as much as they are twisted. So when school comes to mind, so does the english language and culture. Private schools? Why? Why should someone have to pay extra to have their children away form this udder bullshit when they still have to pay public school taxes! Last I knew it required a man and a woman to create a child. History of gays? how about if they didnt get AIDS they're.......Lucky...

Ethnic history has its place as many af/amer and hispanics were not recognized in past school history books, but what does accomplishment have to do with whatpeople do in their bedroom?
www.911missinglinks.com the definitive truth of 9/11..the who and why, not how

You can handle the TRUTH www.theforbiddentruth.net

Just one more reason for people to home-school their kids.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."