lawrocket

Who do you blame for society's ills?

When it doesn't turn out to be the bowl of cherries that they thought it would be

That perception is changing.

20 years ago, men were taught, you expected to get a job and work for 50 years, or sell crack. Those are your choices. Women were taught that their options were career, marriage, motherhood, both, neither...

All that is changing. Young women are a majority of the college entrants and graduates. They plan their lives for a career. They have to.

An unintended consequence is that it affects marriage.
Their expectations are different (sometimes unreasonable, I blame Oprah;)). There are a lot of single mothers working.

Life isn't quite as cheery as anyone expects at 18 when we step into adult responsibilities. By 22, it settles in. People handle it differently.

True, the 26 yo single mothers may have more to do when they get home at 6. However, at 9pm, it is the single guys who are still at my office, working on getting that heart attack by 35.

Institutional failure. Society has no structure that meets the basic needs of the populace.

200 years ago, at the country-level, a population had institutions that gave them a single structure to work within. Questions are more complex today, but we seem to have lost the obvious answers for the simpler ones.

The responsibility for non-governmental things has shifted to the government and the government sucks at it. Defining morality, aiding the poor, providing a path for growth to young people.

Churches have always had a percentage of self-interest, but now they don't seem to help people at all if involves "their" money.

The government is ill-equiped to lead and traps people into institutional processes. Government is that last monopolistic employer and seeks to build its own empire.

I seriously can not believe you all have missed the obvious:

SEX, DRUGS, and ROCK N' ROLL

You need look no further B|

HM: Video games and Violence on TV!
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

And I am sorry that you believe the way you do; as one of the 50% of women on this planet, mysogyny is sad every time I encounter it, be it in real life, in the working world, or on line.

Firstly, I hope that you don't think that feminists should be out of the poll simply because women deserve a pass not matter what their agendas are, or their methods in acheiving them.

As for the "serious" feminists in this country, I couldn't believe that they remained strangely silient when the women of Afganastan voted for the first time. Quite an irony, no?

I thought it was a world wide sisterhood.

Personally, I was saying," You go, girls."

I looked up the word "mysogynist." It's a no win word for the male of the species.

If I enjoy women for the sake of sex, or if I feel that they are inferior for whatever reason, or if I just ignore them I'm a mysogynist.

Sounds like a word created by man hating feminists, because I couldn't find it in an old complete dictionary.

Royd, apparently I can't discuss my feelings on mysogyny, so don't expect a reply from me further on the subject.

I'm sorry. I didn't see it as a personal attack.

I'll just say that our attitudes are generally formed by real life situations, and not easily changed by the view of someone who has had a totally different experience.