medic0079

Question about older vector 3 vs newer vector 3

I'm no big time rigger so this is just from a few I happen to have seen, with no inside knowledge of what UPT built:

Generally there are no huge changes or bulletins requiring a major retrofit or anything.

-- Probably better padding now. Not just modern fancy spacer foam stuff but I have seen some early V III's (thru say '89? later?) with poorer padding internally such as in the leg pads and over the shoulders. Crappy stuff that wears out. Only later did they start using better stuff like on Sigma tandem rigs.

-- Some early V III's had additional hard inserts in the reserve side flaps I think, along the edges of the flaps down to the bottom corners. Only saw that once. Rare? Maybe something about still refining certain patterns early on?? (Anyone else remember that?)

-- I remember one V III from '99 that had leg hardware that got a bit slippery. Maybe just that rig. Might have been some hardware they only used for a shorter time. (Solution wasn't even to start sewing layers on the leg straps but just to wrap gaffer's tape on the slippery hardware, even if it had to be renewed occasionally.)

-- Yeah the main closing loop location. It was very deliberately unlike the Vector II, changed to the bottom flap for many years ... Until they changed back to the V II location. Opinions change.

-- Skyhook as has been said. Plus the associated Collins lanyard. Plus the staging bungee that came after the Skyhook came.

-- One bulletin on stitching in the shoulder area of the reserve tray. Again from limited experience, it tended not to be a problem on medium sized rigs, and any problem is slow to develop. But the stitching can be inspected at repack time and can be upgraded by a rigger (although damn awkward to get the rig under the machine).

pchapman

-- Some early V III's had additional hard inserts in the reserve side flaps I think, along the edges of the flaps down to the bottom corners. Only saw that once. Rare? Maybe something about still refining certain patterns early on?? (Anyone else remember that?)

I have a customer with a V348 built in '96 that has those stiffeners. Only one I've ever seen. I used to own a V344 from around the same and it didn't have them.

I have a customer with a V348 built in '96 that has those stiffeners. Only one I've ever seen. I used to own a V344 from around the same and it didn't have them.

At WFFC 2002, I won a raffle for one of the pink original Vector 3 demo units - early early models. I think I still have it in my loft. You are correct, it had larger stiffeners in the reserve side flaps.
=========Shaun ==========

I'm not sure if we're referring to the same thing but I recall changes to the secondary main riser cover flaps on the reserve tray. I'm not sure exactly how they went about making the changes. Changes in cut, sewing, stiffeners, etc but the early v3's had wrinkle problems in those covers. Over time do to changes in unknown iterations they solved that problem and it has gone away. the early ones were ugly. Early rigs tended to be long, thin and narrow. Later they added a wider range of pattern sets with their microns. I think the patters were better shaped over the shoulder, not as much a board on your back. Those changes were later expanded to the other patterns as well.

So early v-3's were ugly and uncomfortable. They've over come some of those issues over the years.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

-- Split RSL lanyard that eliminates the need for the reserve staging bungee on sport (smaller) containers.

-- Velcro removed from the main closing flap and bridle as it's no longer needed with the new bridle routing method. The main pin was also moved to the same side of the bridle as the PC indicator window.

-- Spectra ripcord introduced in early 2000s?