THier220

What can you tell me about parachute systems rigs?

Notice their summer special sale goung on, Brand new rig, used AAD, for sub $5000? Is their stuff of good quality? Any thing to look out for? New jumper, 195 lbs, 52 years old so slow and controllable is fine with me. Flew a 260 in AFF, had zero complaints about that size canopy.
Thanks,
Tom

Assembled two systems in the last week. Overall seem to be decent contruction. Both "Main" trays have been overly tight in my opinion with mains showing to be normal size recommended. Neither would have handled mains showing to be max size.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"

BKS60

Assembled two systems in the last week. Overall seem to be decent contruction. Both "Main" trays have been overly tight in my opinion with mains showing to be normal size recommended. Neither would have handled mains showing to be max size.

But over all a good deal? Safe, would you jump with it?

THier220

***Assembled two systems in the last week. Overall seem to be decent contruction. Both "Main" trays have been overly tight in my opinion with mains showing to be normal size recommended. Neither would have handled mains showing to be max size.

But over all a good deal? Safe, would you jump with it?

yes, perhaps not Cadillac but certainly Chevy. Not Yugo.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

It looks like a good way to take advantage of the high value of USD against the Rand. Most foreign manufacturers have been simply taking the extra profit from this situation. It looks like PS has decided to use it to increase their market share. It's a win for any new jumpers looking to get nice new custom gear for the price of used. If it becomes popular it may even drive down the price of used gear. And encourage the big players to hold the line a bit on their regular yearly price increases.

But don't forget that you will also have a lower resale value when you want to sell it.

And as far as canopy sizing goes. Always ask for a looser rather than a tighter fit.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

My reply below from an earlier thread

Volt is similar to a saber 2. Steeper trim than a pilot with a more positive flare

I have a 135 vortex made after the recall last year. It replaced my old 170 vortex 2. I was however disappointed in the new vortex for the following reasons
- weight, it's heavy compared to other rigs
- bulky, the 135 rig is as big as my old 170. This is due to the added padding and the construction of the new vortex. In comparison a similar size icon and vector are smaller and more comfortable

The price of the vortex is attractive though and I bought it after winning a discount. Recommend getting hands on with one

I agree on their rigs being bulky and not as small as other rigs with same canopies in them. Also had a new Vortex 135 with 120 main and reserve in it and it was basicly as big as my wife's 190 system. The design of the rig is also very square if you look from behind, for some that might not be a problem.

Fit of the rig is generally ok even if its custom ordered to your size. Overall its a not too bad rig for a first rig considering you get what you pay for. And also if its your first rig you wont know what you missing out on not wearing something else. Their webbings are also much harder than what my new Icon were on receiving it. Makes a BIG difference in comfort.

If all of the above is not a issue go for it, but if you would prefer a more snug/comfy fitting rig which appear smaller go for some of the bigger names.

THier220

***Assembled two systems in the last week. Overall seem to be decent contruction. Both "Main" trays have been overly tight in my opinion with mains showing to be normal size recommended. Neither would have handled mains showing to be max size.

But over all a good deal? Safe, would you jump with

As stated I've only assembled two, but I would have no problem with jumping either one.
As far as a good deal,........everyone needs to make that call for themselves.
"You don't get many warnings in this sport before you get damaged"