RiggerLee

New helmet tech

I didn't know if I should post it here or in skydiving. Right now it's more on the horizon then a product and there have been some similar threads here in rigging.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/08/08/revolutionary-new-zero1-football-helmet-may-help-nfl-players-reduce-concussions.html

I always said we would be better off if we put the Styrofoam "padding" of the helmet on the out side and the hard "shell" on the end side next to your head. I think this is the first case of any one actually doing that.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

This football helmet might be good for multiple impacts. What I was suggesting, what is common in most high end helmets is that they are retired after one good hit. The outer surface cracks like an egg crushing in. The whole helmet is sacrificial. To the point of, don't drop it. If the foam was more like the old liners just on the out side, or the polyethylene version of Styrofoam, then it might be more resilient.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

JerryBaumchen

Hi mrubin,

deform on the first hard hit and need to be replaced?

I recall a news item on that helmet about a month or so ago on NBC News.

At that time IIRC is was a 'one & done.'

Jerry Baumchen

If what was being discussed was a motorcycle helmet, that would be reasonable. For a football helmet, that doesn't seem likely.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

RiggerLee

I didn't know if I should post it here or in skydiving. Right now it's more on the horizon then a product and there have been some similar threads here in rigging.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/08/08/revolutionary-new-zero1-football-helmet-may-help-nfl-players-reduce-concussions.html

I always said we would be better off if we put the Styrofoam "padding" of the helmet on the out side and the hard "shell" on the end side next to your head. I think this is the first case of any one actually doing that.

Lee

Looks like a bit of those Dr. Sholes gel things for your feet, for your head? Actually for those that Climb Rocks or Trees, most all climbing helmets do in fact have the frangible material on the outside now. Or the whole thing is frangible. AND yes take a hard hit and you have to replace the whole thing. And they an't cheep either. Thanks for the post, I didn't know footballers were doing this.
Brett Bickford Did Not Commit Suicide.

He is the victim of ignorance and faulty gear. AND as in the movie: "12 Angry Men," of an ignorant and callous jury.

Do you have an example of such a rock climbing helmet? A quick search only found one that eliminated the hard ABS or polycarbonite shell and was just the foam liner with the suspension system. Didn't find any with crushable outer layer and hard inner or middle layer.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

Do you have an example of such a rock climbing helmet? A quick search only found one that eliminated the hard ABS or polycarbonite shell and was just the foam liner with the suspension system. Didn't find any with crushable outer layer and hard inner or middle layer.

Yeah - The only one I can think of is the old Petzl Sirocco, and even that is EEP all the way through I think. No soft / hard layers. https://www.rei.com/product/850348/petzl-sirocco-ultralight-climbing-helmet

I think the new version of that one now has a polycarbonate piece on the outside top too, although I haven't seen one in person.
http://gripped.com/gear/new-2017-petzl-sirocco-helmet-is-light-and-strong/

Don't pay too much attentions to posts by ChrisD - he does have a history of posting about stuff he doesn't actually know anything about. Maybe he's changed, maybe not.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=4581656;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

councilman24

Oct 5 2018: https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-climbing-helmets

You need to realize that the frangible helmets, which are still available, are being replaced by some of the newer layered helmets because of sales. The frangible rock climbing helmets are the best performers to save your brain cage, but they get a bad rap because they do in fact need to be replaced, and again, many don't like the price of safety. Kind of like many of the dolts here spewing forth their opinions instead of actual facts and information you can actually use. Like my comment that AAds' should be mandatory. But of course we won't have to wait long for the skygods to rubout their opinions.

Also remember if in skydiving you actually need a "approved" helmet, your other injuries will kill you. There is a relationship between the forces, speed, and situation that proponents of motorcycle helmets continually fail to recognize. Should we have a G3 with a frangible material in it just in case,...yes we should, but it hasn't ever been anyone's priority. Mostly because the USPA is a risk taking organization, based upon the opinions over the years of the skygods, who equate risk taking with their self worth and popularity.
Brett Bickford Did Not Commit Suicide.

He is the victim of ignorance and faulty gear. AND as in the movie: "12 Angry Men," of an ignorant and callous jury.