DougH

Coffin Nail - the ultimate in main closing pin technology.

DougH

Nope this isn't a joke. I decided to share after I argued with some 50 jump wonder today on facebook who was sold on all the virtues of the product.

http://nitrofly.biz/

For the skydiver who doesn't have time for pin checks....

Skydivers are just so busy these days!!! How did we ever cope?
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

irishrigger

HMMMM HMMM Yeah

don't think I be rushing to buy one of those :S:S:S

This should be good for you. Think of all the damaged stiffeners and grommets. Job security! >:(
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Nope this isn't a joke. I decided to share after I argued with some 50 jump wonder today on facebook who was sold on all the virtues of the product.

This has to be a joke. I can think of many reasons to do a good pin check and this would solve none of them. Besides - the whole marketing approach of "Who has time for a pin check?" drives a wildly unsafe set of behaviors. I will not support this product.
=========Shaun ==========

No it isn't a joke. I saw the prototype in person a few years back. I told the "designer" that it was a horrible idea, and broke down a number of the issues. No fucks were given.

It really is for sale, and there really have been a few chuckleheads that have purchased it.
=P

Time will tell. I don't see it but let Darwin decide.

By the way, there actually is a guy in Europe building a better closing pin. It came out of some base jumping incidents involving PC's in tow. I was working on almost exactly the same thing but he was farther along in the tooling. He'd already payed for the stamping dies to produce them. I think it's a good design. I told him to run with it.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

You're obviously not a 'HyperElite jumper' xx!xxx!!!1
===EVERYTHING ON CRACK x 10!!==== WOOOO!!111xXXx

Out of interest, is the designer a 12 year old video gamer?

I don't see how this negates the need for a pin-check.

RiggerLee

By the way, there actually is a guy in Europe building a better closing pin.

Don't be a teaser. Tell us how is it different :P

Regarding the nail pin......... I'd never jump that. Seems like you'd get more PCs in tow, more broken grommets and stiffeners and more wear on the loop.

So this was a conversation that was going on a while back in several threads on base jumper. There was a lot of interest and testing done following a couple of very public accidents where people ether towed PC or had hesitations. There were a lot of issues explored including flap design, bridal design, and pins.

The guy in Europe is named Lucifer, his screen name on basejumper. You can contact him there. I have some of his early pins. They are almost exactly like the prototypes I was playing with. He was farther along and I just dropped it as there was no point in duplicating the investment in the stamping tool. It was going to cost about $7,000 to set up. And I'd rather buy them from him then to try to pay off the investment. Samples I got from him are NICE. Every bit as good as the standard pins we use here in the US in the new, non locking design.

Here is one of the threads:

http://www.basejumper.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2985577;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

There were several other threads where connected issues were discussed and some really interesting testing was done. And a lot of conversation was in PM. I'm surprised you haven't heard or seen any thing about this. I think it's a noticeable improvement with relatively few down sides. Not that he's set up to stamp and tumble polish the new pins There's no reason why people and manufacturers can't start to switch over to them. It's just that there are tens of thousands of the old pins setting out there on the shelf right now. People order them by the thousand and then just use them for years till they finely have to reorder. Hell I think I still have 500 or so of the old pins in a drawer down stares in the shop. So it may be a while before you see them in wide use but there is a better mouse trap out there for any one that wants it.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

I never saw it jumped because we wouldn't let that shit get in our airplanes.

The prototype had already started damaging the top grommet after only a handful of claimed jumps.

It was tied on the bridle because the designer has no rigging experience and couldn't sew at the time. The original curved pin was still there, it may have been tied on there. The prototype was sawing through the line that tied it on due to sharp edges.

Yeah it has been "tested". But not in a gear manufacturer sense. A handful of jumps. Not thousands, and with no objective evaluation of the "test results".
=P

If it damages components, would it not be violating any TSOs on the gear? Does it invalidate any warranty on the rig?

What testing process has it been through, and what data is available from those tests?

Could be complicated legal problems if it has not been approved by the manufacturer for use on his gear.

Has it even been thought through properly? if, as has been said, flaws were pointed out but no f**** were given
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Do you really think that thing has been thought through properly. It was a hack job concocted by someone whose only experience with gear is putting it on his back.

The only people who objectively evaluated the product and all of the potential risks told the "designer" that the idea had major flaws.

I think it is pretty safe to say that no fucks were given.

Read that product description in the context that it isn't a joke. That is seriously the marketing spin this guy is putting on this.

Then stop and consider that this person has instructor ratings and is interacting with student skydivers!!! :oB|

=P

DougH

Nope this isn't a joke. I decided to share after I argued with some 50 jump wonder today on facebook who was sold on all the virtues of the product. http://nitrofly.biz/

Ok, the picture on that web page ... Is it 3 of these pins randomly laying on top of each other, or does the pin have some kind of hinged something or other?

Does anyone have a picture of ir installed on a bridle?

peek

Ok, the picture on that web page ... Is it 3 of these pins randomly laying on top of each other, or does the pin have some kind of hinged something or other?

Just round bar stock with a notch ground in to it, presumably for loop retention, and a machined slot to allow a rigger to sew it on a bridle.
=P

Okay, I expect this guy was born ten years after the curved pin was finally developed and saved us from bungee closing lops with bend of bridal, soft pins, straight pins, and every other version that killed folks. Including plated curved pins with the plating flaking off and rusty steel "9" pons.

What about about the need for a curved pin on a throw out does he not get? Never mind, obviously he doesn't get much.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

DougH

Just round bar stock with a notch ground in to it, presumably for loop retention, and a machined slot to allow a rigger to sew it on a bridle.

Thanks to you (and Deimian) for the info. Looks a bit short to me! And the curve in most popular pins is there for a reason.

peek

***Nope this isn't a joke. I decided to share after I argued with some 50 jump wonder today on facebook who was sold on all the virtues of the product. http://nitrofly.biz/

I thought for awhile it one hinged also. But its three pins.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

What about about the need for a curved pin on a throw out does he not get? Never mind, obviously he doesn't get much.

It sort of becomes a pull out after you tow your pilot chute on a hop and pop,

Pull outs have to be straight pins, right??! :ph34r:B|
=P