Plucky

How dangerous is patriotism?

In another thread, it was mentioned that any discrimination against someone because of something they did not choose, is wrong. For example race, gender, appearance, physical ability, country of birth ... this makes sense.
It was also said that based on the same principle, we have no right to be proud of anything ourselves, where we had no choice in the matter. The same list above applies here too, race, gender, country of birth, etc. ... this also makes sense. You did nothing to make yourself that way, so cannot rightly be proud of it.

So what's with all the patriotism? What is it about the current political borders we happened to be born within, that we feel have the right to be personally proud of? What makes our fellow citizens more important to protect or be proud of than people who were born in countries other than ours?

I mean, patriotism is blatantly exploited In all countries, yours is not exempt. It forms the backbone of propaganda. Again, your country, wherever you are, is not exempt from this. Patriotic propaganda plays a big part in winning support for wars and other decisions that affect others adversely.

Would our world be more peaceful, tolerant and less xenophobic if we were all simply less patriotic?
After all, our country of birth isn't anything we chose, and unless we've lived amongst the locals of every other (200+) country how dare we say ours is 'better' in any way?

- Citizen of the World -

Im British and we have certain history, tradition and cultural differences that I'm proud of. If other people take offence to me taking pride in that thats their problem. But it seems odd that a foreigner would settle in a country and then take offence at their practices [:/]

But it seems odd that a foreigner would settle in a country and then take offence at their practices

I agree, as that person had chosen that country above another to live in, so I don't know what you're referring to?

- Citizen of the World -

So what's with all the patriotism? What is it about the current political borders we happened to be born within, that we feel have the right to be personally proud of? What makes our fellow citizens more important to protect or be proud of than people who were born in countries other than ours?

I'm right with you there. Its like when people say (as several have done here) that foreign aid should be cut off until all poverty in their own country has been completely wiped out. It makes me wonder why it should be more important to help a few people you can see than 1000's of times more people you can't.

But it seems odd that a foreigner would settle in a country and then take offence at their practices

I agree, as that person had chosen that country above another to live in, so I don't know what you're referring to?

He's refering to people who immigrate to a country then constantly bitch about the customs and attempt to undermine the way of life. It does happen.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'm right with you there. Its like when people say (as several have done here) that foreign aid should be cut off until all poverty in their own country has been completely wiped out. It makes me wonder why it should be more important to help a few people you can see than 1000's of times more people you can't.

He's refering to people who immigrate to a country then constantly bitch about the customs and attempt to undermine the way of life. It does happen.

Maybe freedom to bitch is the reason they immigrated in the first place. Free speech is pointless if all you want to do is chant platitudes.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If someone is "proud" to be a member of their country simply because they were born there, then I agree 100%.

However, if someone works hard to make their country better, and the pride is based on those efforts, then why not? Me, I'm "proud to be an American" based on many factors, not simply because I was born in the U.S.

Same with physical ability. If I were born with normal physical ability but worked my ass off to be a successful athlete, then could I not rightfully be proud of my physical abilities?

[Quote]For example race, gender, appearance, physical ability, country of birth ...

I'll buy your point on race, gender, appearance. Not much anyone can do about those attributes (not that Michael Jackson hasn't tried ;)), but I'll have to pass on physical ability and country of birth, because there are legitimate reasons one might be "proud" of them.

"Patriotism" based on the actions and results of the populace is ok with me -- those actions and results are why some countries are in fact "better" than others.

. . =(_8^(1)

If you badmouth your parents it's OK, but if I do it, you're going to bow up, and want to fight.
You can take that same idea to freinds, clubs, occupations, etc.

ps. At one time, I called myself a citizen of the world because I considered myself enlightened.

If someone is "proud" to be a member of their country simply because they were born there, then I agree 100%.

If you are merely proud of the history of your forefathers and use it as motivation to continue a proud tradition, then that is fine. I do find it irritationg when I hear people who were not alive during the second world war saying "we saved your asses" or "we won the war".

However, if someone works hard to make their country better, and the pride is based on those efforts, then why not? Me, I'm "proud to be an American" based on many factors, not simply because I was born in the U.S.

Agreed. But the kindling that starts that pride should come from events beyond your control. The onus is then on you to contribute and earn the right to that pride.

"Patriotism" based on the actions and results of the populace is ok with me -- those actions and results are why some countries are in fact "better" than others.

Again it is fine so long as you use it as motivation to continue a proud tradition rather than taking a free ride on history, and without developing nationalistic arrogance.

Cheers,

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.