pop

We are down to EIGHT!

>Did Pluto explode or escape the pull of the sun?

The IAU just got sick and tired of all Ceres' whining. "Pluto gets to be a planet. Why can't I be a planet? How come you let IT stay in a severely inclined orbit? How come IT can get away with passing inside the orbit of Neptune? It's obvious that if you're not in your little planetary clique the rules are different. Why don't you just admit you have a bias against asteroidal bodies?"

Finally the IAU said "Fine. You want to bitch? Now neither one of you is a planet. Happy now?"

:D:D:SB|

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I look at the above 4 posts and it just proves a point. We'd all rather be glib and a bit funny and mock things rather that debate intelligently.

I find this very encouraging.

Oh c'mon now Mr. Grumpy Gills, didn't you think this was just a little bit funny?

Heck, I even gotta chuckle at kallend's joke! (Do I owe beer for that?)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Eight?
Maybe not....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5283956.stm
Uproar, vote rigging scandal, controversy......
"Professor Iwan Williams, the IAU's president of planetary systems science, commented: "Pluto has lots and lots of friends;"B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

To remeber the planets.....

Mary's Violet Eyes Make Jack Sit Up Nights .....    (I wonder what he's doing now that he's no longer proposing)

I expect I'm unusual, but I generally have a harder time remembering a mnemonic than remembering the actual item of interest.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>I miss Pluto.

It's still there ya know.

But its not the same :P

My Very Eclectic Mother May've Just Sat Upon Ned's . . .

Just sounds dirty now.[:/]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

>I miss Pluto.

I know. But I miss it's status as a planet. I mean, my entire understanding of the universe was built upon 9 planets. Granted, that's about as much as I knew (and understood), and so I feel like 1/9th of my understanding has been taken from me. Suddenly. Like an accidental death. There's a gap missing.

If they can decide it's too small to be a planet, what's next? A small hamburger will not be a burger anymore, just a...well...sandwich. And I can make those in my kitchen, and they're not nearly as tasty as the kind you get at a restaurant.

I mean, what's next to go? My education has been undermined...and my brain now has a hole in it. Not a good state of affairs...[:/](;)).

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

There's a gap missing.

That's a good thing.

You could get yourself one of those "Honk if Pluto is still a Planet" bumperstickers for your new-to-you fast car.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

>I miss Pluto.

I know. But I miss it's status as a planet. I mean, my entire understanding of the universe was built upon 9 planets. Granted, that's about as much as I knew (and understood), and so I feel like 1/9th of my understanding has been taken from me. Suddenly. Like an accidental death. There's a gap missing.

If they can decide it's too small to be a planet, what's next? A small hamburger will not be a burger anymore, just a...well...sandwich. And I can make those in my kitchen, and they're not nearly as tasty as the kind you get at a restaurant.

I mean, what's next to go? My education has been undermined...and my brain now has a hole in it. Not a good state of affairs...[:/](;)).

Ciels-
Michele

Actually the gap is where Ceres is found.

That sounds like a reason to drink tequila ANYTHING!

B|

Wow! Pluto must've really screwed-up![:/]

Yeah... It kept changing lanes and swerving in front of Neptune :o.

I wonder if there was ever a chance that Neptune and Pluto would have collided in the future? I guess after 4 billion years, they've got to sometime! :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Has anyone ever done any calculation on the likely size of the planet (& maybe a couple of moons) if Ceres & neighbours were ever to coalesce into a planet?

Are we talking Mars size? Bigger?

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Has anyone ever done any calculation on the likely size of the planet (& maybe a couple of moons) if Ceres & neighbours were ever to coalesce into a planet?

Are we talking Mars size? Bigger?

Mike.

The total mass of the Asteroid belt is estimated to be 3.0-3.6×10^21 kilograms, which is 4% of the Moon. I'm sure Jupiter gobbled up more than its fair share of matter, and Jovian gravity prevents the remainder from coalescing.

>The total mass of the Asteroid belt is estimated to be
>3.0-3.6×10^21 kilograms, which is 4% of the Moon.

Right, but add the Kuiper belt; now you're talking. You'd be looking at half the Earth's mass. (Of course it would likely be no more stable than the original planet there.)

Maybe if we requested that "Pluto and Charon" be reinstated? The mass of the two might be enough to get it back on the list. Ya know, treat them like a married couple - if you ask one, you get both.... so by considering Pluto, you have to use the joint account (weight) of the couple.

Might work....

>The total mass of the Asteroid belt is estimated to be
>3.0-3.6×10^21 kilograms, which is 4% of the Moon.

Right, but add the Kuiper belt; now you're talking. You'd be looking at half the Earth's mass. (Of course it would likely be no more stable than the original planet there.)

You're adding that to Pluto, right, not the Mars-Jupiter gap?

Anyhow, Gustav Holst in his wisdom omitted Ceres and Pluto, so clearly they don't count.