sydthe

Vortex Container & volt parachute review?

I demo'd a Volt 150 recently and really liked it. The openings were soft and on heading. Response to toggle turns was snappy. The flare on landing was great and stronger than I'd experienced with a Pilot 168. I didn't have a rigger look at it, but it seemed to be well constructed. The price for a brand new canopy was cheaper than many used ones from other makers. Decided not to buy one right now only because I'm happy with my Lotus 150, but I'd certainly consider one when I'm back in the market.
My Dad used to ask me if someone jumped off a bridge would I do that too? No, but if they jumped out of an airplane, that's a different question...

I jump a Vortex now and can compare it only to Icon.

It is a solid build and it is quite popular around our airports. It is well made and comfortable to wear. It has way more padding than older Icons and the flaps and tabs are just built better. Magnetic riser covers work perfectly if you choose to have them. My opinion is that you can't go wrong. The only problem I can see is the resale value at the moment.

I already wrote my impression about the Volt canopy in the 2nd thread. Demoed a Volt 210 1.1, snappy responsive turns, strong flare, a bit fast on openings but nothing painful (I like faster deployments over sluggish ones), light riser pressure, canopy reacts to harness inputs.

Volt is similar to a saber 2. Steeper trim than a pilot with a more positive flare

I have a 135 vortex made after the recall last year. It replaced my old 170 vortex. I was however disappointed in the new vortex for the following reasons
- weight, it's heavy compared to other rigs
- bulky, the 135 rig is as big as my old 170. This is due to the added padding and the construction of the new vortex. In comparison a similar size icon and vector are smaller and more comfortable

The price of the vortex is attractive though and I bought it after winning a discount. Best advice is to get your hands on one and form your own opinions