Conundrum

You and your s/o are pregnant,

Not an issue for us, as we refuse to bring another human being into this over-populated world in the first place, so would never get as far as 4 months if contraception fails.

I value the future of the human race, and the rest of the life on Earth more than my family.

Closer to the topic though: It's scary how only one person here has mentioned talking it over with the other half of the parental duo before commiting to a decision about the life involved :o. If I found myself in that situation, I certainly wouldn't feel I had the right to decide on the matter alone.

- Citizen of the World -

You chose a hard point in the pregnancy. 3rd month would be no problem to me. 4th is harder.

I'm sure she chose the point deliberately, but I completely agree with you.
I honestly don't think that a fetus is a person up to a point. That point probably comes in the 4th month, but there is no exact point. The the problem with amniocentesis is that it diagnoses late enough to make this decision a possibility at this point.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

There are no absolutes in life. With every good there is also a bad. If you want the option of the good in life, you must also accept the bad.

For example, those who support stem cell research for the purpose of curing disease, but adamantly oppose abortion. Certainly one can feel this way personally, but if one wants the option of one, they must accept others will also use the option in an equal and opposite way.

Technology is always an exact example of this. Most often designed with "good intentions" it can always be used with opposite intentions.

Though now we can determine if the baby will have Down's before birth and offer the option of abortion, soon we'll not only be able to determine that but actually inject the fetus and cure it before birth. I would venture to guess you would have no issue with the latter...?

For me personally, I must chose: Am I pro-life or pro-choice? I have strong opinions, beliefs and morals that I abide by for myself. IMO, it would be hypocritical to expect others to conform to mine, rather than abide by their own. Thus, I must be pro-choice. While, I want to give the option to rape victims and even persons in no position to have a baby, I would never want abortion to be used as a form of birth control. But, if I want the option for one, I must accept it will be an option for all. So one must choose: Deny all for the sake of preventing some who might "abuse" the right? Or allow all and accept that some will abuse the right? I'd rather give people the option to make their own, hopefully right by their morals, choice.

:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I dont see humor in farts, maybe I should be terminated as well. When voting and writing my opinion I forget for a split second this was a poll in a skydiving website, a sport where people are selfish and live for themselves usually. You can not imagine the joy a downs child brings to his or her parents and to the world. Hopefully the ones who would kill a downs child cant reproduce, that way they wont pass on their ignorance on the disease and make more baby killers.

Well you see you may have missed a small but important point here, all the Downs kids I've met would thinks Farts were fucking hillarious trhey have an awesome sense of humour:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

For example, those who support stem cell research for the purpose of curing disease, but adamantly oppose abortion.

I know exactly what you mean, I used to support the death penalty. That has changed over the past year due to investigating why I feel that way and the fact that my own brother was murdered. Combine that with my strong belief against abortion, I was wrong to say that, then on the other side of the fence support a dealth penatly.

For me I choose pro-life, but I do not expect that the majority of people could do that. Our beliefs stem from our nuture and nature. My enviroment and my love of children and people in general deny me of the ability to look at human life as anything but human life. If I have a friend considering abortion I would risk losing that friendship by trying to change their mind but understanding its a difficult choice they make. I wouldnt even be friends with someone who used it as birth control or convience so thats not a issue in my mind. Maybe in the end I will find out that my strong beliefs opposing such actions has been of a disadvantage to my life, but until that time I dont plan to ever pretend to accept the choice of murder.

I also do not intend to give up and relent by stepping down. It only takes one comment from someone to start a change in someone else. The saddest part about abortion is many who choose it do so, do it for selfish reasons. They choose abortion over adoption because adoption would be harder for them and I just cant understand that.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Well you see you may have missed a small but important point here, all the Downs kids I've met would thinks Farts were fucking hillarious trhey have an awesome sense of humour

Ive got 2 boys ages 6 and 7, sadly my life revolves around fart jokes :S bowel movements [:/] and the aspect of them being funny. I do not understand boys :|

Yes I am judgemental in way of murder, I dont care if its in real life, in cyber world, or somewhere inbetween.

Theres very little instence where I would ever say "aborting a baby is okay" I dont believe in it and Id much rather me be judgemental about that then sit there and be PC. Im not in politics, I dont have to be PC.

There has and always will be adoption, Id adopt a diabled child, I know several people who would. Thats the solution. Death is not the solution in my mind. Never will be.

Alright, then you'll probably understand that I am equally judgemental when it comes to certain issues. Mostly, I am reactionary - someone judges me, I return the favour.

So, by putting me in the evil-babykiller camp of the morally bankrupt, you'll likely find that I'll not be shy about returning the favour.

You call pro-life people murderers, I call anti-freedom people judgmental arrogant fascists who wants to dictate how others should live.

And the funny thing; mostly it doesn't matter at all, as long as what we say and do reflect the values we have. Gotta respect that, whether I agree with it or not.

The saddest part about abortion is many who choose it do so, do it for selfish reasons.

True enough.

Funny though, that if one is adding to the global destruction of our world, and ultimately the human race by adding to the over-balanced human population, isn't one also being selfish for having kids?

Seriously, other than satisfying one's natural maternal\paternal instincts, what good are we doing for anyone else by reproducing?

- Citizen of the World -

For me I choose pro-life, but I do not expect that the majority of people could do that. Our beliefs stem from our nuture and nature. My enviroment and my love of children and people in general deny me of the ability to look at human life as anything but human life.

It's important to understand many pro-choicers also feel this way.

I would risk losing that friendship by trying to change their mind but understanding its a difficult choice they make...It only takes one comment from someone to start a change in someone else.

A comment or two is certainly different than what escalates into a loss of friendship. As your mind would likely be unwaivering in this case, such could be true for your friend as well. If you cherish your ability to stay true to yourself and your morals, it might be something to consider to also accept that in your friend.

One of my closest friends loves fur.>:( We might never see eye to eye on this subject. But she will buy fur whether she is my friend or not. Thus, I would view it as a great loss, rather than a stand for my beliefs, to loose a friendship over it. Besides, the longer we're friends, the more influence I gain in her life. And she has bought less fur.:)

Funny though, that if one is adding to the global destruction of our world, and ultimately the human race by adding to the over-balanced human population, isn't one also being selfish for having kids?

Weren't you in my Sociology class?:D

If you're being serious, me neither.

And though I'm a member of PETA, I would never throw paint on someone wearing a fur coat. I disagree with such tactics. I might consider posing naked in Stella McCartney's store window though for the cause.:D

The funny thing is, my friend knows if she insists on wearing her fur when we go out together, I must equally insist on sporting my "Mean People Wear Fur" T-shirt. You know...for balance and such.:P

They do a lot of good that I fully support and applaud. Thus, I must accept they also do things I disagree with.

They are at the bottom of my charitable-donation list, however. I pay the minimum to remain a member.

Seriously, other than satisfying one's natural maternal\paternal instincts, what good are we doing for anyone else by reproducing?

If we dont reproduce then we have no future. The worlds not overpopulated, just certain parts of it. Its a natural instint to reproduce for most people and animals

I'm sorry, but knowingly bringing someone into this world to fight an uphill battle the rest of their lives is just wrong, selfish and self serving,despite the fancy theories and wordsmithing PC shit,,

Have you ever seen an unhappy or depressed Down's Syndrome "sufferer?" IT seems to me that people with real fucking "uphill battles" are happier and better people than those who are "healthy" individuals.

I went through this same thing with my son - we declined genetic counseling because it wouldn't have changed our minds. It's okay, though. He came out perfect and got even better...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The worlds not overpopulated, just certain parts of it.

Which is why, if I ever wanted children (I don't, but that could change), I would adopt. There are FAR too many children without parents. I also don't need my child to carry my genes.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I think your fur analogy was a very apt for the topic at hand. carry on.

:o

Oh, I'll carry on. Soon you'll ALWAYS be agreeing with me. Ha. Ha. Haaaa. Ha. Ahhh. Ha! Ha! Ha.

;)

Don't get too cocky woman. ;)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Which is why, if I ever wanted children (I don't, but that could change), I would adopt. There are FAR too many children without parents. I also don't need my child to carry my genes.

I shall now return the favor...

This speaks for me, as well.:)