JohnRich

A Land Fit for Criminals

Just what I want to do - depend on the basic human kindness of someone that has broken into my house/place of business and is holding me at weapon-point...

OK, so someone has broken into your house and is holding you or a family member at gunpoint. What will you, as a gun owner, do? Expect them to wait patiently while you go get your gun?

While I go get mine? What good does a gun in the safe do?

Why do you keep it in a safe?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Just what I want to do - depend on the basic human kindness of someone that has broken into my house/place of business and is holding me at weapon-point...

OK, so someone has broken into your house and is holding you or a family member at gunpoint. What will you, as a gun owner, do? Expect them to wait patiently while you go get your gun?

While I go get mine? What good does a gun in the safe do?

Why do you keep it in a safe?

Hooray for wacky misunderstandings!!!

:ph34r:
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

can you supply a better reason that the only posts that JR makes are directed at bashing the UK??????

“England: "Homicides Soar", “Scotland to Ban Swords”, England: "Rise in Muggings", “England: Gun Registration”, “England to ban Knifes”,” A Land Fit for Criminals”

Do a search, , and you'll find you're wrong again.

Proof Here.

Those six threads you mention cover a period of over two months, or about one every two weeks. Oh the horror!

How many anti-American or anti-Bush threads have been created in that same time? Gosh, you can get that many in a single day. Yet I don't see you complaining about the inordinate frequency of those...

Beside can you supply a better reason that the only posts that JR makes are directed at bashing the UK??????

Go on then, what would your reasons be?? he clearly doesnt like the british or the UK, so he is just Xenophobic?? or is there another reason?

Just because I don't like Britain's gun laws or self defense laws, does not mean that I don't like the British people or England. You should refrain from making such gargantuan extrapolations from my narrowly targeted postings.

Google it, and you find a lot of positive reviews. Here's a few of those, which seem to disagree with your assessment:

"http://www.bnp.org.uk/columnists/notebook2.php?jbId=38"]British Nation

Quoting the BNP as a rational source just proves your hilarious ignorance of the UK.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

Raw carrot is a bit of a laugh as well, its some youngesters right wing blog. A the social Affairs unit is a right wing thinktank, no suprises there then. Wherever possbile i try to make my sources fair. For example when discussing Arab Israeli affairs I try to ensure that where possible my sources are from Jewish or Israeli sources rather than Al Jazeera. Maybe John would better argue his point if he tried to do the same.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Google it, and you find a lot of positive reviews. Here's a few of those, which seem to disagree with your assessment:

"http://www.bnp.org.uk/columnists/notebook2.php?jbId=38"]British Nation

Quoting the BNP as a rational source just proves your hilarious ignorance of the UK.

Yeah... Like I said, If the British Nazi National Party approve of something, then that's just about all I need to know about it!:ph34r:

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

"Given that Britain's laws on self-defence have been pretty clearly laid out in this thread, what specifically is your issue with them? "

The people who write the legislation in our respective countries often look around to see how similar societies manage their issues.
I believe John has a vested interest in our legislation, for a number of reasons. It may be that in some stage in the future, the use of sporks for example may be banned in the US because we in the UK have banned them for whatever reason.....
and that would just be wrong.

John and I disagree on a number of (actually most if the truth be told) issues, but I can understand why he holds certain opinions, and I can respect that.
:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

John and I disagree on a number of (actually most if the truth be told) issues, but I can understand why he holds certain opinions, and I can respect that.
:)

I can also see his motivation, but the results come across like Grey Squirrels, and about as welcome.[:/]

Mike.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

he also has a habbit of walkin away from the post once we get past the sound bite. Now for example I thinkthere is not much chance of JR coming back here to answer the questions that have been put to him, namely 'what do you have against the selfdefence laws'. Thats a shame because both us and he might learn somthing from the resulting conversation that would follow. However I'm begining to hink that some people are right in the belife that all he wants to do is take a pop at us on this side of the pond. If he really did care about the issue then surely he'd respond to these questions.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

he also has a habbit of walkin away from the post once we get past the sound bite....

Yeah. The technique has been refined over time:

1. Post something about weapons control & breakdown of British Society. Post outrageous sources (such as BNP)

2. Stay away from responses on topic.

3. Post responses off-topic against those he feels insult him... In effect, try to start an argument about arguing.

Yet... Wendy has met him and he's a nice guy. If Wendy says so then it's certainly true.

So... Has his dislike or fear of the prospect of some of our attitude to firearms control getting "across the pond" now changed into a more generalised Anglophobia? Perhaps an overwhelming desire to believe that Britain under relatively strict Gun-Control has, as a result become some form of utterly lawless post-apocalyptic state under the de-facto rule of petty criminals?

A desire to "KNOW" that America is better & safer because everyone can have a gun?... Rather than seeing that the solution is also the problem.

Mike.

he also has a habbit of walkin away from the post once we get past the sound bite. Now for example I thinkthere is not much chance of JR coming back here to answer the questions that have been put to him...

Gosh, pardon me for going out and having fun all weekend, instead of sitting in front of my computer and answering your questions.

Thats a shame because both us and he might learn somthing from the resulting conversation that would follow.

My detractors here don't seem to be interested in conversation or honest debate - only in hurling personal insults. Just look at the posting directly above this one for an example. That doesn't exactly motivate me to be forthcoming.

Given that Britain's laws on self-defence have been pretty clearly laid out in this thread, what specifically is your issue with them?

Here's a good example of the lunacy. Even with police!
DEFENCELESS AIRLINE BOMB PLOT

UNARMED police were sent to search homes in the airline terror plot - despite a cache of weapons being uncovered in one house...

But a senior intelligence source said: "The decision not to go in with armed officers was dicing with death. What would have happened if the came up against an armed suspect?

"Some firearms officers were surprised that they were left on standby... if any of the suspects had come out fighting, the men on the ground would have been at risk."

All 23 arrests in High Wycombe, Walthamstow and Birmingham were carried out by Metropolitan Police's unarmed Territorial Support Group...

A furious police source said: "It seems like a crazy decision not to use a highly trained firearms unit like CO19 when dealing with potential terrorists who don't actually care about dying...
Source: Sunday Mirror

Given that Britain's laws on self-defence have been pretty clearly laid out in this thread, what specifically is your issue with them?

Here's a good example of the lunacy. Even with police!
DEFENCELESS AIRLINE BOMB PLOT

UNARMED police were sent to search homes in the airline terror plot - despite a cache of weapons being uncovered in one house...

But a senior intelligence source said: "The decision not to go in with armed officers was dicing with death. What would have happened if the came up against an armed suspect?

"Some firearms officers were surprised that they were left on standby... if any of the suspects had come out fighting, the men on the ground would have been at risk."

All 23 arrests in High Wycombe, Walthamstow and Birmingham were carried out by Metropolitan Police's unarmed Territorial Support Group...

A furious police source said: "It seems like a crazy decision not to use a highly trained firearms unit like CO19 when dealing with potential terrorists who don't actually care about dying...
Source: Sunday Mirror

Call me picky, but that doesn't answer the question and doesn't seem to be terribly relevant. What does a police operational decision (which turned out to be correct - 'Senior officers last night defended the decision not to use armed police in the raid 10 days ago. An anti-terror squad source said: "Each operation is based on the intelligence and several factors were taken into consideration. CO19 officers were involved in the planning, but it was decided they were not needed."' - Impressed with the selective quotation, btw, very subtle!) have to do with British self-defence law?

Call me picky, but that doesn't answer the question and doesn't seem to be terribly relevant. What does a police operational decision (which turned out to be correct - 'Senior officers last night defended the decision not to use armed police in the raid 10 days ago. An anti-terror squad source said: "Each operation is based on the intelligence and several factors were taken into consideration. CO19 officers were involved in the planning, but it was decided they were not needed."' - Impressed with the selective quotation, btw, very subtle!) have to do with British self-defence law?

I believe John is addressing a general attitude in the UK, even at high police levels as evidenced by this article, in that guns are perceived as being bad.

John, myself, and all NRA members are are just the opposite with regards to that perception. Guns are a fundamental right to all Americans. Use it or lose it.
We are all engines of karma

I believe John is addressing a general attitude in the UK, even at high police levels as evidenced by this article, in that guns are perceived as being bad.

"An anti-terror squad source said: "Each operation is based on the intelligence and several factors were taken into consideration. CO19 officers were involved in the planning, but it was decided they were not needed." The article is hardly evidence of an irrational fear of guns amongst senior police officers.

If there's any 'general attitude' in the UK towards guns, I'd say it's one of disinterest. The vast majority of British people have no interest in or feelings about guns one way or the other.

John, myself, and all NRA members are are just the opposite with regards to that perception. Guns are a fundamental right to all Americans. Use it or lose it.

Fair enough, I've no problem with Americans holding that perception. It simply ought to be remembered that few people feel the same way on this side of the Atlantic (reading 'Britons' in place of 'Americans', of course)

Ah, John...John, John, John.... I thought you were going to answer the questions. What part of the self defence laws do you have a problem with? But instead of that you went back to your tried and tested formula of throwing in a piece which has nothing to do with the question. Instead you cite a tabloid scandle rag about a sucessful Police and intelligence operation. If you belive you have a point then why do you keep running away from the questions? Could it be that once you read them (I take it you have read them?) you discovered that there was nothing wrong with them, so you're trying to change the subject...
John, it takes a big man to admit they are wrong, none of us will think anything less of you for admitting that you were mistaken.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca