JohnRich

A Land Fit for Criminals

[email]

Your example with skydivers of "every race" ( ;)) is fairly weak.

My example was skydivers of "every identity" - my point was to specifically point out that it definitely isn't race-based in any way.

If a belly flyer consistently bashes freeflyers, then according to scoop, it must be "racist."

Of course, it might be justifed for CrW identities, we do tend to be a bit ill kempt compared to the other more civilized skydiving identities.

I'm gigging on the abuse of a hot button word. He's just talking about it being rude, perhaps nationalistic. Not racist. People already overplay that card all the time. This is just a ridiculous application which is done all the time.

I guess if we do it enough, the definition will change to accommodate.

I hate vocabulary and semantics debates. So I'll stop on this one.

Maybe John is just an anglophile at heart. Or anglo-cist?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I read the article, and to tell you the truth, I don't think we are any better when it comes to turning
criminals loose on society. We may incarcerate more, but we turn em loose too. Funny how prisoners who found Jesus, were often the ones Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas set free.:S Guns: Could not sleep without one; life is just too perfidious here in the good ole USA.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

My choice of words might not be perfect. But if someone constantly insults a paticular country, that is racist.

So, that would apply also to all the people here who routinely post messages bashing America?

That would make this forum just chock full of racists.

I know John. He's a whole lot taller than any troll I could imagine. Also really nice, and a good jumper.

Thank you, Wendy. I get bashed a lot in this forum. I don't mind. When they bash someone personally, it means they have no rational argument in rebuttal. And notice how the entire focus here is not on how poor the criminal justice system is in Britain - the subject of this thread - but rather on what an asshole I must be. And all of that is said by people who don't know me personally. So what does that say about the people doing the bashing and making such judgements? It's really just a condemnation of themselves. But most of the participants in that game don't have the intellectual capacity to realize what they're really doing to their own reputations.

And it sure looks like I know how to annoy my bashers. Ha! This was sort of push the hot button of those who are having so much fun piling on and bashing me in other threads. It looks like it worked marvelously.

But when it comes to guns and their association with liberty (at least in SC), I'd have to say that he not only has a one-track mind, but it only runs on one rail.:ph34r:

Ohhh, and you started out doing so well. And I suppose I'm going to have to jump with you on the same team at Ballunar... ;)

But this thread doesn't have a thing to do with guns. So I think your own train jumped the track a bit, sweety.

So, that would apply also to all the people here who routinely post messages bashing America? That would make this forum just chock full of racists.

Racism implies a prejudice without real foundation. A lot of the "America-Bashers" here (including the "America-Bashing" Americans :S) do so based on specific fact, and don't actually "bash" America per se, but rather criticise various actions of the current administration.

Mike. (Always happy to fill in gaps in HomeSchooling) :)

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I read the article, and to tell you the truth, I don't think we are any better when it comes to turning criminals loose on society.

Whoa! Look here - someone who actually read the article and commented on the topic of the thread! Wow! Thank you.

Are you sure you don't want to bash me with a personal attack? Maybe you could imply that I'm stupid like someone who is home-schooled. You could claim I must be a racist. You could say I'm obnoxious, and that's why I need guns to protect myself. You could imply that I'm a coward who would get my ass whipped by Brits in a bar. You could have pity on my poor wretched soul. You could say I have no self-assurance about myself. You could say that I'm a half-wit and a troll. You could say I'm only a one-track mind and have jumped the track. For gosh sakes, get with the spirit of this thread!

John, I like your posts, and I don't think you are anti-British. I think you are just trying to convince we Americans what life would be without guns; maybe slightly repetitious using the Brits as an example. I keep waiting for them to slam us about our open- borders and gang shoot-outs. We have the same sorry, self-serving, lazy, politicians. Wait a minute! Some of those British posts get a little coarse and downright anti-American at times, but what the hell; sometimes they're right. Keep it up John.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Mr Rich is a big boy and more than capable to explain his point of view:).

However i also agree with wendy it all comes down with MR Rich it allways come down Guns & Bullets.

I'm thinking :othat maybe Mr Rich's point is that England is being over run by hordes of violent criminals because the law abiding brits are not permitted to carry guns to protect themselves and kill all the violent offenders.

IMO to make Mr Rich happy and stop picking on the brits please pass a right to carry gun law so he can choose another country to convince them they need to be like the rest of us.

BTW don't belong to USPA or the NRA;)

R.I.P.

I know John. He's a whole lot taller than any troll I could imagine. Also really nice, and a good jumper.

But when it comes to guns and their association with liberty (at least in SC), I'd have to say that he not only has a one-track mind, but it only runs on one rail.:ph34r:

Wendy W.

Does it go in circles? Actually I agree with pro-gunners.

A lot of B.S. posted in response to this thread. The article makes some great points, there is a very liberal attitude towards crime & punishment in the UK, probably too liberal for repeat offenders.

But on the other hand in America there are a whole lot of people willing to throw people in a hell hole for life for a single mistake and walk around thinking it could never happen to them. I consider that attitude arrogant and foolish, particularly when the criminal justice system is so heavily politicized.

“Sir, you have once again attempted to insult my country, usually I would at this point engage you in a battle of wit, yet I see you have only come half prepaired! Good day to you Sir.”

Sounds like a challenge to a duel to me..
Pistols…nah…banned.
Swords…nah see above…
Pointy sticks then, what will we use to sharpen them?

Okay, damp celery, on the heath at sunset it is!

John, keep it up, it’s good to see how others perceive us.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

From the truly well written article by a person who has clearly spent a great deal of time in and around the UK:

no Briton nowadays goes many hours without wondering how to avoid being victimized by a criminal intent on theft, burglary, or violence.

Bollocks. Utter, utter bollocks. Would you like me to repeat that? Bollocks.

Having just wasted 15 minutes of my life reading what essentially constitutes nothing more than a glorified book review, in which the writer of the article has taken all of the information in the book at total face value having done no research to verify it, I am truly surprised that you even bothered to post it. Do you honestly read these things and believe them or do you have the capacity to believe they may just be someone’s slanted view on life?

This article is one person’s review of another person’s view of an aspect of a country. The author has basically laundered the unsubstantiated information contained in the book to make it sound like definitive facts to his readers. It truly staggers me that some people in the US can be so down on a system that they know so little about and that an article like this can then be used in an argument on an internet forum - banded around like it was fact. What is it in the psyche of these people that gets them such gratification by attempting to demonstrate their perceived superiority over another country in such a way, and peddle their sycophantic, self promoting, denigratory diatribe as the unadulterated truth.

Rant over.

Read the article, propaganda at it's best, downright lies at it's worse.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I read the article, and to tell you the truth, I don't think we are any better when it comes to turning criminals loose on society.

Whoa! Look here - someone who actually read the article and commented on the topic of the thread! Wow! Thank you.

Are you sure you don't want to bash me with a personal attack? Maybe you could imply that I'm stupid like someone who is home-schooled. You could claim I must be a racist. You could say I'm obnoxious, and that's why I need guns to protect myself. You could imply that I'm a coward who would get my ass whipped by Brits in a bar. You could have pity on my poor wretched soul. You could say I have no self-assurance about myself. You could say that I'm a half-wit and a troll. You could say I'm only a one-track mind and have jumped the track. For gosh sakes, get with the spirit of this thread!

OK, John. Lets talk about your post. I agree with you. Yep, no kidding our judicial system is in total disarray. The police are demoralised because to be quite frank alot of time they are wasting thier time because even if a criminal gets to court they often get off with a light sentence or a smack on the wrists. However, I don't think that locking up for longer is neccesacrily the answer either. The problem is in part a cultural one. We have let yob culture thrive in the UK to an epidemic level and while the govenment have been to soft with these young yobs I think that the punishment should fit the crime. Clearly locking people up for long periods of time doesn't work either (although I admit that some people need to be). Its a complex problem which has no simple answer. But I do agree with you. As for disliking you, I can't say that I do. I think SC would be a poorer place without you.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

From the truly well written article by a person who has clearly spent a great deal of time in and around the UK:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no Briton nowadays goes many hours without wondering how to avoid being victimized by a criminal intent on theft, burglary, or violence.

Bollocks. Utter, utter bollocks. Would you like me to repeat that? Bollocks.

I just have to repeat CornishChris's point, absolute rubbish - as the whole point of the thread is based on some (probably) non-Brit speculating, and then another non-Brit (ever lived here John?) simply pasting it.

Oh, and I'm not even British, but I've lived here for 6 years, and feel the safest I've ever felt anywhere.

*Edited to be nicer

- Citizen of the World -

After reviewing the homicide data for the UK, Australia, Canada, France, New Zealand, Germany, Italy, Norway, The Netherlands, Sweden, Japan and Texas, I guess we should call Texas "A State Fit for Murderers"

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

A lot of B.S. posted in response to this thread. The article makes some great points, there is a very liberal attitude towards crime & punishment in the UK, probably too liberal for repeat offenders.

But on the other hand in America there are a whole lot of people willing to throw people in a hell hole for life for a single mistake and walk around thinking it could never happen to them. I consider that attitude arrogant and foolish, particularly when the criminal justice system is so heavily politicized.

Yep, agreed. Most of the world errs on the side of non-punishment becuase they feel it's more egregious to punish an innicent person than to let go a guilty one.

How many of us had the Jon Bennet Ransey killer as the Mom? How many the Dad? Either way, we jump to judgment becuase we feel better if someone is in jail for a crime, anyone.

Is it any more rubbish that the many non-US posters that comment on how dangerous it is over in the US because of all the gun crime? There are several people that make comments such as " over here I can send my kids out without a gun and not worry about them returning home safely." I have read so much mocking of the US for how dangerous of a place is is because of our gun crime stats. The fact is most of the gun crime is gang and drug crime related. For the people outside of that enviroment the US is a very safe place to live. I live in the Chicagoland area and have not locked my doors for years. If my wife wants to take a walk in the middle of the night, I am not losing sleep over it. Yet there are several posters who claim it is so much more safer over in their respected countries citing our gun crime levels or gun ownership as the reason.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

Is it any more rubbish that the many non-US posters that comment on how dangerous it is over in the US because of all the gun crime?

Oh, I see, so this is a revenge thread?

"Someone posted something I didn't like about my country, so I'll post something bad about theirs"

Got it. :S

- Citizen of the World -

There didn't seem to be a point to this thread at all. You didn't deliver any point, view, message, query or debate other than regurgitating some shit from another source and waiting for a reaction so stop whinging.

Which is pretty much the definition of a troll.

I am sure John is a really nice guy, but when it comes to these posts he behaves like a troll.

Is it any more rubbish that the many non-US posters that comment on how dangerous it is over in the US because of all the gun crime?

Has this occurred in recent times? I actually want to know.

And if it has happened, does that make a similar response correct? And if THAT is true, then what made the first comment wrong in the first place?
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Has this occurred in recent times? I actually want to know.

I don't follow SC enough to answer that but there are a few poster who had a history of doing that. I was not trying to be confrontational. I just that it was amusing the way John got slammed. The post has now been edited "to be nicer", but their are plenty of non US slaming our gun culture over here which they really do not understand. They act like were all walking around with guns shooting each other when we are pissed off. I did not even read the original post past the first few sentences. It may have been rubbish. But then Chris really made me laugh with this "It truly staggers me that some people in the US can be so down on a system that they know so little about"

It goes both ways but how anybody can be staggered by it just one way is beyond me.

And if it has happened, does that make a similar response correct? And if THAT is true, then what made the first comment wrong in the first place?

Fuck! I was not condoning or condemning either post. I asked a question followed by a quick comment to help understand the question.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.