skiNEwhere

Slider stuck every single jump

I have a Sabre2 170 which is loaded at 1.3, that is stuck out of my reach on just about every single jump.

What am I doing (or overdoing) that could be causing this? It's worth noting I had a sabre2 190 before which rarely ever had a stuck slider. I stopped tucking the nose but it still hangs.

Not the end of the world, it comes down easily once I pump the rears, but wondering what I can do to fix this.

Other than that it opens fine, a nice snively, typical Sabre2 opening.

Not sure if this helps but here's a video of the opening. Off heading but the on heading opening get stuck too.

https://youtu.be/jht065RBA8M?t=30s
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it

Looks like my Sabre2: same size, same wingload https://youtu.be/sUL7PI3-l7E, apologies for the crappy footage. This opening was a bit worse than usual with more end cell closure and the slider hangs higher up. Usually it hangs about 1 meter above the risers.

I guess it is by design :P: slider hangs halfway down most of the times. I just grab the rear risers and it comes down.
I have around 600 jumps on this lineset and this behaviour seems to change over time: it wasn't always like this. I suppose this has to do with shrinking of the lines: changing trim and brake settings?

RiggerLee

So what your saying is that you have a very nice soft opening canopy. And you're complaining about that? Would you like to trade for one of the canopies I've jumped?

Lee

:)
This is right up there with a quote I remember from one of your earlier posts..... "I may never get laid but I can land anything"

Classic...:)

RiggerLee

So what your saying is that you have a very nice soft opening canopy. And you're complaining about that? Would you like to trade for one of the canopies I've jumped?

Lee

Haha no way. Like I said it's not the end of the world (far from it). But I do wanna know what causes it.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it

This opens just like my Sabre2 170. Maybe a little higher on the lines, but I always fully expect to pump the rears to get the slider to come down whenever I'm jumping that canopy. And I also know the heading is going to be a surprise. That's just how jumping them works.

As an aside, Sabre2 has really snivelly openings. I realised that after I moved to a Storm... which has its own share of stupid opening quirks, despite opening that much faster. Having to reach up and hang on the rears for 3s is getting old when wingsuits are involved. Looking forward to getting my WinX, the famed magical canopy that opens fast, on heading, *and* soft enough.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

>But I do wanna know what causes it.

The basic answer to your question is: The Rate of Inflation.

But that's a sub-terminal opening on the video. I would expect (or at least not be surprised) that the slider needs to be pumped down after a sub-terminal opening like that. The canopy is filling with air very slowly. Look at how long it takes for the end cells to inflate. Until the end cells inflate and the canopy can spread out, there isn't enough force to push the slider down from the opening forces alone.

That's my take at least, I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say.

I've noticed that the dirtier the lines get, the more the slider hangs up - on any canopy - and found that to be even more true with thicker lines (like the Dacron lines on student Navigators). Three years ago when I was renting and the canopies I was on had older and dirtier (usually Spectra) lines, pumping the rears to get the slider down within reach was a common thing. With my own canopies, I'll only start having a problem if I have a bunch of dirt landings in a row (and that is dz-dependent; not everywhere has grass). I've had it suggested by one rigger to gently wipe the lines down with a lightly damp (NOT wet) cloth if they have gotten dirty. You might also want to check the grommets on your slider and make sure they don't have any burrs which could be snagging on your lines. Finally, if you do really have 600 jumps on your lines, I'd expect they'd be more than a little out of trim. I think 600 is close to the max for a Spectra line set, and I'd recommend having them checked by your rigger. I don't know enough about rigging myself yet (still working on my certificate) to know if that would keep your slider from coming down all the way, but it will certainly affect your openings to say the least!