D22369

immigration for dummies

>but using Kallend definition, we are all illegal immigrants. Are you now
>going to make the case that illegal immigration is good for the country?

It's why you can sit there behind a computer and amuse yourself posting here.

Disagree. There are many who amuse themselves posting here from all over the world.

But that's a silly definition of "illegal."

Agreed.

Imagine we had 200%, or 2000% more people in our armed forces to send on errands in north korea or iraq or iran.

last time I checked, the illegals were not joining our military in droves...... you point is worthless

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Imagine we had 200%, or 2000% more people in our armed forces to send on errands in north korea or iraq or iran.

last time I checked, the illegals were not joining our military in droves...... you point is worthless

Roy

I wonder if requiring 4 years of Military Service as the path to citizenship would slow down immigration? We could require it if caught in the US illegally too.

See, if economic research could show that illegal immigrants put more into America's economy than they collectively pull out,

It's precisely what that book I linked does. It's a large dose of ignorance and xenophobia, imo, that prevents the anti-immigration side from utter collapse.

edit to add: In economic terms, for it to be anything other would be truly astonishing. To understand this, you must understand the demographics of immigration, which that book explains.

Which, btw, is titled The Immigration Debate: Studies on the Economic, Demographic, and Fiscal Effects of Immigration if you should like to look for it.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

I wonder if requiring 4 years of Military Service as the path to citizenship ***

I believe there is a path to citizenship that uses this method

I think this would be a excellent requirement, hell ... I would support all americans being required to serve a two year enlistment - and I mean everyone born here or not

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Roy

I wonder if requiring 4 years of Military Service as the path to citizenship would slow down immigration? We could require it if caught in the US illegally too.

Nothing like an army made of disgruntled and bitter soldiers...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

There are bits and pieces of the book and another, "The New Americans" available in Google's cache.

One such snippet from an executive summary:

Although the average fiscal impacts of new immigration measured in present values are found to be positive under most scenarios, the impact of an increase in the annual flow of immigrants would initially be negative overall for a couple of decades before turning positive. The timing and extent of such a period depends crucially on federal fiscal policy. Given that near-term fiscal burdens will be offset by later fiscal gains, the present-value estimates of the long-term fiscal impact will be sensitive to the choice of a discount rate for comparing future expenditures and revenues with current ones.

Finally, under most scenarios, the long-run fiscal impact is strongly positive at the federal level, but substantially negative at the state and local levels. The federal impact is shared evenly across the nation, but the negative state and local impacts are concentrated in the few states and localities that receive most of the new immigrants. Consequently, native residents of some states, such as California, may incur net fiscal burdens from immigrants while residents of most states reap net fiscal benefits.

My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Roy

Nothing like an army made of disgruntled and bitter soldiers...

You are assuming those unwilling to perform military service would want to be here. i think it's a great way to filter out those who really want to be US citizens from those who only want to take advantage of what this country has to offer. My guess is it would cause less divisiveness in the long run. Those who become disgruntled can quit or be asked to leave at anytime.

Let's see. Anyone who's for illegal immigration is for:

a. Artificially below-market wages for a hard working and hence ripped-off illegal underclass.
b. Evaporation of higher-paying fair wages for the hard-working and increasingly unemployed legal americans.
c. Business owners who stuff more profits into their pockets off the backs of those in 'a' and 'b'.

Simple. Get rid of the minimum wage. It accomplishes nothing but increasing inflation. Let the employers pay what the job is worth, not what the state says it is worth, and remove the incentive to hire illegal immigrants by placing very heavy fines on anyone who does. By doing both of those, you remove the incentive for business owners to hire illegal immigrants, because they can hire someone legally for the same rate and would face fines so heavy that it would put them out of business if they did otherwise, and you remove the incentive for illegal immigration, because those jobs will no longer be as readily available.

A fair wage is what the job is worth to the person paying the wage, and what is negotiated with the payer of the wage by the wage earner. Unfair wages are wages that are mandatated by the state and drive prices up and increase inflation. It's not that what's paid to illegal immigrants is below market, it's that what's paid to minimum wage workers is generally far above market. Do you WANT to pay $20 a basket for strawberries? I don't.

I wonder if requiring 4 years of Military Service as the path to citizenship ***

I believe there is a path to citizenship that uses this method

I think this would be a excellent requirement, hell ... I would support all americans being required to serve a two year enlistment - and I mean everyone born here or not

Roy

Agreed. Make the usual "what if...." concessions and then require service for anyone seeking citizenship and all US citizens when they reach 18. No exceptions.

You are assuming those unwilling to perform military service would want to be here. i think it's a great way to filter out those who really want to be US citizens from those who only want to take advantage of what this country has to offer. My guess is it would cause less divisiveness in the long run. Those who become disgruntled can quit or be asked to leave at anytime.

And what about those people who want to be here but don't medically qualify for the military? I'm a citizen and I tried to serve. They wouldn't let me.

I don't have a problem with making the military A path to citizenship. I just don't think it should be the ONLY path.

And what about those people who want to be here but don't medically qualify for the military? I'm a citizen and I tried to serve. They wouldn't let me.

I don't have a problem with making the military A path to citizenship. I just don't think it should be the ONLY path.

That's why I said to make the usual "what if" concessions.

The Military does a lot more than just fight wars. If someone isn't able to endure the rigors of combat training, there are other ways they can serve.

There is no absolute, global definition of what's legal or illiegal immigration - every country has their own set of immigration requirements, and they're all very different.
The rules set up by a country's government, regarding who can legally immigrate, is based (IMO) almost entirely on the potential for them to contribute to the economy.

If it's decided by the government that people who did not meet the requirements previously, are actually a nice tax income for the country (a nice test case seems well underway, judging by US media), they could very easily change the immigration laws, to allow these potential contributors to immigrate legally. Countries change their immigration laws all the time, depending on the economy.

It's all just business

- Citizen of the World -

If you are NOT a full blooded Native American you have benefitted from immigration.

Let's see. Anyone who's for illegal immigration is for:

...rest of rant snipped.
a.

Where did the word "illegal" appear in my statement?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Roy

Some immigrants are elderly and some are infants - how would that be useful to the country? Talk about a stupid idea.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If you are NOT a full blooded Native American you have benefitted from immigration.

If, you really think about it, the Native Americans 'immigrated' here... they just beat the Europeans and Spanish.

I think, what the operative word here is 'illegal' immigration.

Here's a thought. Along the lines of 'Native Americans'. The 'illegals' coming to this country, are mostly descendants of 'Native' indiginous people (Aztec). They are basically 'Native' people... they are just changing addresses! :D

Chuck

Roy

Some immigrants are elderly and some are infants - how would that be useful to the country? Talk about a stupid idea.

About as stupid as you cutting out and ignoring, twic,e the part where I wrote "after making the usual WHAT IF Concessions." What exactly DID you think I meant by that?

>when my Grandfather came here, he did so because he had a passion
>to be an American. He loved this country and wanted nothing better than
>to work hard and be sucessful.

So did mine. Yet he was labeled a lazy drunk because he was an Irish immigrant - and, well, you know how _they_ are.

I know a lot of mexicans who travel into San Diego from Mexico. I don't know their immigration status, but most of them impress me as hardworking determined people. Yet they are labeled as freeloaders who just want to suck off the US tit.

>I don't get the same attitude from many of today's immigrants.

Can you give me an example of someone you've met (not a secondhand story) who is a lazy freeloader?

Can you give me an example of someone you've met (not a secondhand story) who is a lazy freeloader?

The family living across the street from me in my service days. Eight people in a 2 BR house, all on welfare. Ended up moving after the teenaged son burglarized my house.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

>when my Grandfather came here, he did so because he had a passion
>to be an American. He loved this country and wanted nothing better than
>to work hard and be sucessful.

So did mine. Yet he was labeled a lazy drunk because he was an Irish immigrant - and, well, you know how _they_ are.

I know a lot of mexicans who travel into San Diego from Mexico. I don't know their immigration status, but most of them impress me as hardworking determined people. Yet they are labeled as freeloaders who just want to suck off the US tit.

>I don't get the same attitude from many of today's immigrants.

Absolutely. I have encountered people from both Canada and Mexico who have a disdain for the US. The only reason they are here is because they can get a better paying job in the US than they can in their home countries. They have no intentions of ever becoming citizens. I used to have a guy who worked for me who was part of a movement to take back N.M. Arizona and California. I culd go on and on, but you get the picture. These are first-hand incidents.

>Absolutely.

I asked for examples of lazy freeloader immigrants - and you gave me examples of people who came to the US to work. That's the opposite of "lazy freeloader." I applaud people who come to the US to work hard and better themselves - even if they don't want to become citizens. They make this country a better place.

I see them using 'food stamps', every week, when I'm at the grocery store. I've seen, two to 3-families living in one small house. The kids belong to gangs, mama stays home and daddy works. On the corner of our block, is a 'multi family' house where at present, there are 5-families living there. It's made-up of tiny 'apartments'. The vehicles have Mexico plates. They'll be here about 90-days and suddenly they are gone. Our neighborhood is not zoned for 'multi-dwellings'. We've tried to have the 'situation' looked into but, nothing is done about it.

Chuck