DudeNZ

Alti-2 Neptune N2 - Eats my batteries.

Hi All,

So I have an N2 and find that they suck battery life like crazy. I am changing battery every two weeks..

Looking at the manual I can find anywhere to actually switch it off.

Anyone else got any experience with the N2? Is this a fault with the N2 or simply the way life is with a N2?

Andy

My N2 battery also lasts more than a year. It goes to sleep by itself: I don't think there even is a menu option to turn it off.

Two weeks battery life is ridiculous, sounds like it's broken. Did you buy this unit recently? If that is the case I'd take it up with the seller.

Just to be sure: backlight is turned off (Menu/Display Opt)?
And what firmware version is on the Neptune (Menu/Demo mode)?

The N2 hasn't been manufactured for many years, and was replaced with the N3, which was replaced with the Atlas.
I'm not sure if Alti-2 still does repairs on N2, but you can ask them.

Hey Cloggy,

I bought it second hand from a guy in the USA that was leaving the sport about 12 months ago and I just put up with it.

So not sure how old it is.

But the firmware 3.2.1D and not sure where I can find out if it is the latest. It seems that there is no support at all for these anymore from anywhere.

Yes backlight is off.

And thanks for the helpful reply.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I think latest version of the firmware is 3.2.2: that's on my Neptune.
As Iago said the earlier firmware had some issues, but maybe this was already fixed before 3.2.1? I can't remember. So updating may not solve your problem: best to check with Alti-2 before you go through the trouble.

Flashing is a bit of a hassle: you need an old laptop with infrared port, the Ircomm2k-drivers (that only seem to work under Windows XP) and NMU Neptune maintenance Utility. As an alternative: on Windows10 I run a WindowsXP virtual machine under Virtualbox, with a USB infrared-dongle.

If you dig around on the old Alti-2 forum http://www.altimaster.com/forum.php there is a download page for infrared drivers and NMU: http://www.altimaster.com/forumdisplay.php?291-NMU-amp-Drivers
NMU 3.4.4 was the last standalone version.

The firmware or a fault is likely the answer here, but just to be sure:

Are you using 'decent' batteries, and holding the new battery by the sides only, or using your sleeves/some fabric if you have to grab it by the + and - poles?

If you don't do either, battery life might be severely shortened.

ciel bleu,
Saskia