pjdonovan

so - my brand new Sabre 2 has an insta-opening every 3-4 jumps

When the canopy opens with snivvle- it's AMAZING. But what tends to happen is: Jump 1 - GREAT opening, jump 2 - off heading (fine), jump 3 - off and short snivvle Jump 4 - insta-canopy

It's now to the point where I have to worry every jump "is this going to be the one that hurts" which I shouldn't have to worry about.

It happens regardless of who packs - i use packers at competitions/practices and there will be 1 or 2 per day that just open (insta-canopy).

I have about 325+ jumps total - jumped a pulse 230 then a sabre 2 210, never had issues. I use a semi-stowless bag, but I've been using it since the pulse.

My plan is to send it into PD and see if they think it needs to be restitched or what. I really shouldn't have to worry if the packer (or me) did the 1 or 2 things that HAVE to be done to avoid insta-canopy, that takes the fun out of skydiving.

Send it back to PD, they will test jump it and either fix it or replace it. And they may provide a demo to tide you over, their customer service is on point. If they don't find an issue with the canopy or experience hard openings, they will work with you to determine the issue. They want you to be safe and happy.

It is possible that pulling in a track or a balled up body position is causing your problem as well. But I would say start with PD.
"I love when humans fly,"

If you still have the original d-bag, then you can eliminate a possibility by going back to it.

Even though you have been using the new bag for a long time, maybe something has changed about it and is allowing early dump of the canopy.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

speed at deployment time? what is your exit weight and type of suit? measure the slider and give pd a call they may send you another one. get a rigger to check the lineset especially the brake lines cascade to cateye. personally i would go back to the stock d bag and use 2 inch rubber bands and double stow all like pd recommends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVAoiLl2B6M

Tend to agree that going back to original bag and double stowing elastic to see if that reduces the occurrence rate. Sliders are rarely the initial problem. Slowing down is also incredibly important. Giving yourself time to come out of track and get big and slow down. Also take a look at pilot chute size as well. PD have done some great articles and interviews on the subject but people often don't examine this advice first which will often eliminate some obvious causes.

Semi-stowless bags are sensitive to having the canopy size match the bag, because it's the canopy bulk that keeps the line pocket closed and orderly. If you downsized to 190 (and it sounds from your progression like you did), then it might be too much of a change. Definitely try with the regular d-bag, and be prepared to order a new semi-stowless that compensates for the reduced canopy bulk.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

From what you are saying, it sounds like it gets worse throughout the day. Could it be that you are getting tired and your body position is suffering as a result?
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery