outrager

Kill'em all

The funny thing about Americans getting their news is that the only source of news they get is from fellow Americans and it is only the American point of view. The funny thing about the rest of the world is that we obtain our news from multiple news sources. If you had access to non-American news, ......

Your presumtion about how Americans vs. the rest of the world get their news is fallacious. This is no longer the day when people only watched their own country's TV news once a day & only read the local newspaper. This is the Internet age, and has been ever since...well, ever since Al Gore invented it. You really think Americans only go to American news websites, while the rest of the world gathers their news from all over? Personally, I read BBC.com, TorontoStar.com, TheAustralian.co.au the Guardian and Times of London online a few times every week specifically because I want a non-American perspective to contrast with the US news sites I also read. I'm not trying to rant here, but I really doubt that the average person in, say, a middle-sized city in the UK, or Canada, or France, or Germany is all that better informed than the average person in a middle-sized city in the US.

you don't have to do any of that, really, to get a 'world view' of current events. news.google.com hell, you can even personalize. it pulls from just about any newswebsite it can find. i see a story from Kuwait News Agency right there at the top...
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

Israel has decided to carpet bomb the shit out of Lebanon regardless of whether or not they are killing Hezbollah militants or innocent civilians

No Steve they are not. If they were doing that... there would be nothing left of any Lebanese city.. and the death toll would be approching a million by now....

Back on topic ...

Whoever came up with the idea of this war just wasn't thinking. Israel doesn't seem all that egar to send in the ground troops and they're not going to eliminate Hezbollah's unless they go in and do the dirty work. Instead they're using air strikes and heavy artillery to do their damage, which has caused huge infrastructure damage to much of the country and totally disabled the Lebanese economy. Sure to date not that many Lebanese have died (600 or so is the latest I've heard). But one in five Lebanese is homeless and there is little food and water. How long are these refuges supposed to survive with no food and water?

Lebanon is on the verge of a humanitarian crisis. You watch ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Instead they're using air strikes and heavy artillery to do their damage, which has caused huge infrastructure damage to much of the country and totally disabled the Lebanese economy

From what I have seen they have hit the southern portion of Beirut in very deliberate places.. where Hezbollah has its major support.. bases... and infrastructure. The people there feel Hezbollah is their saviour because they provide them services... and get recruits for their militia. Farther south they are targeting the bunker complexes and strong points that Hezbollah has constructed over the last 6 years since they unilaterally pulled out of southern Lebanon.... which then Hezbollah claimed they had won and driven out the Israeli's( I guess to Hezbollah if they aint dead.... they have won)

Hezbollah has a huge following as a political party in Lebanon.... so... if the people there voted them in.... and they have gotten bold enough to kick the 800 pound gorilla of a military in the region.. then they have made their beds... and all these "poor innocent civilians" who have supported the terrorist organization that Hezbollah is...( and have killed a hell of a lot of Americans http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/05/30/iran.barracks.bombing/) let them rot in the hell they have created for themselves

Hezbollah has a huge following as a political party in Lebanon.... the terrorist organization that Hezbollah is...

That's the thing. Hezb'Allah isn't simply a "Terrorist Organisation". Like Hamas, they have a political wing which provides amenities such as hospitals & schools in the area. The Lebanese and Palestinians didn't vote for Hezb'Allah & Hamas respectively as "The Gun-Totin'-Looney-party". They voted the guys who'd built their new school / clinic / fire station.

The current failing of Hamas, having won the Palestinian Government elections was that the "fighting" tail still wags the "political" dog (so to speak). As such, given that Hamas was incapable of responsible government, Israel's reaction is both understandable and justified.

Lebanon is a completley different case. Hamas has some power in local government, but little in national government. Lebanon's problem is that they've JUST managed to get rid of Syria and their own military & internal security is barely forming. I believe that "The Cedar Revolution" in which Lebanon finally gained real independence is less than a year old!

Surely the answer to Lebanon's incapacity to govern Southern Lebanon now that Syria has withdrawn it's troops is ASSISTANCE to that region, NOT bombing the infrastructure and mortaring refugee convoys!:S

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

yes kill them all.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5228224.stm

Where is the pictures of militants being dug out of the rubble , or secondary explosions from the onboard video from israeli jets , where are the reports showing rockets being lauched from inside these villages ? Any i have seen have come from the country side..

tell them [ civilians ] to leave..

bomb them in their cars [as they try to leave ]...

they stay.. well then they must be terrorists. Yes the women are a breeding hezbollah babies and well the babies,, they are really baby bombers.. as soon as they can walk .. you watch .. their coming across the borders with bombs in their nappies..

Isreal and the US are scoring own goal after own goal and periodically wonder why they lose the game.. If you want to get rid of Hezbollah go in and get your hands dirty.

Never mind the airstrikes after a promised 48 hour lay off in Southern Lebanon. Looks like they can't be trusted. I don't see Israel's behaviour to be much different from Hezbollah's behaviour. Israel seems to have no problem targeting and killing innocent civilians....they just say: oops, sorry we really didn't mean that.

Well I cant say i really understand what they are doing now. The minister for defence just got his ass kicked on a BBC live interview:

He said that today they were " only bombing " rocket launch sites and " only bombing " likely Hezbollah targets...

So the BBC anchor asked the obvious question what were you doing yesterday and the day before...

He said in regards to civilian movements they would be free to move for a 24 hour period but Isreal still reserved the right to bomb anything it felt was involved with Hezbollah ( again i think isnt that what they have been " claiming " to do all along ? )

The anchor said that he was " sure the UN and his viewers would make up their own mind on what he had just said ".

In a round about way i read it as , ok now were really doing what we said we were doing ... but now we really mean it .

I think the fact that the US is supporting this is almost irrelevant , the Isreali governement told the US yesterday it would stop to allow civilians to leave and today rolled back on its word pretty much as soon as the US state dept had finished answering questions in the press conference. They have also been bombing Lebanon again which has no direct link to the rocket launches.

Your presumption about how Americans vs. the rest of the world get their news is fallacious.

damn straight, we're aren't an isolated little country the size of indiana with a single news source

look at the opinions just in this thread, looks like americans are about diversely split on this topic just like the rest of the world

these stereotypes are disgusting - and surprising coming from a canadian who has the same resources, standard of living, access to information, etc

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants