brainpoo2002

Helmet/Altimeter

I recently finished AFF and did a solo after. I've done 11 jumps and plan to continue. I'd like to get a full face helmet but need more info. I tried on a Cookie G3 at the dz and it fit me like a glove. The field of vision seemed adequate, too. I hear the Phantom XV has a better field of vision, but I wouldn't know because I've never seen one in person. Thoughts on comparing the two? Also, I'd like to get an audible altimeter. I was told the Atlas doesn't fit well in the Cookie, does anyone have experience with that?
I like the idea of an altimeter that is both visual and audible in case I wanna switch it up. (dz will continue to let me use their analog) Suggestions??? Thanks.

If you fit your head into a G3 very well get the G3. I could not, went for the Kiss. Phantom is a previous version of it. It has unobstructed field of view and it feels much less claustrophobic than a G3, but maybe that was because of my bad fit issue/shape of the head. I recommend checking out the Italian Z1 SL-14 helmet, cheaper, great quality.

The other important thing is to have your mouth visible. Easier breathing and communication while skydiving. I seen many skydivers wearing a g3 having their mouth covered, or wearing the kiss having the same issue. If it fits properly the liner will come under your bottom lip. (g3, kiss and bonehead aero helmets). The Phantom covers the mouth mostly.

Pricewise from the most expensive to the cheapest:

Bonehead Aero (full face visible) - 2 closed audible ports - chinstrap
Kiss (full face visible if proper fit) - 2 open audible ports - strapless liner latch system
G3 (full face visible if proper fit) - 2 closed audible ports - chinstrap
Z1 SL-14 (full to partial mouth obstruction) - closed or open audible ports - depends on the model - chinstrap
Phantom x/xv (full to partial mouth obstruction) - closed audible ports -strapless liner latch system

I love my cookie G3, and if you're into tunnel flying or freeflying, just look at all the competition level flyers, they're all wearing G3s.

For audibles, my company makes the cheapest audible on the market, Brilliant Pebbles: www.aon2.co.uk/brilliant_pebbles

I can vouch that it works well with a G3 because that's what I jump ;) It also works with Phantom and Kiss helmets.

By the way, we're now working on an extremely advanced digital altimeter called X2, although it will only be released towards end of the year or possibly start of 2018. :)

Thanks everyone. I decided to get a Cookie since I already tried one on and it fit so well. Have to buy things one piece at a time to continue affording jumps, so audible will have to wait. I do fine with my dz's analogs. i just want audible for backup.

I checked out the brilliant pebbles. Seems like a cool, affordable route, but it doesn't work with iPhone so i can't use it right now. Will continue to check back though. Would like to know more about the upcoming digital when info is available...price, specs and so forth.

Thanks again

brainpoo2002

Thanks everyone. I decided to get a Cookie since I already tried one on and it fit so well. Have to buy things one piece at a time to continue affording jumps, so audible will have to wait. I do fine with my dz's analogs. i just want audible for backup.

I checked out the brilliant pebbles. Seems like a cool, affordable route, but it doesn't work with iPhone so i can't use it right now. Will continue to check back though. Would like to know more about the upcoming digital when info is available...price, specs and so forth.

Thanks again

Your case is exactly why we designed Brilliant Pebbles! At least the wait will be shorter if the audible is cheaper, right? :)
You can use it with any laptop (Mac, Windows or Linux) but unfortunately we can't use the iPhone's USB port because of Apple policy, not because of any technical difficulties.

Good choice on the helmet!