kcb203

Any reason not to leave Viso II+ in student mode full time?

By default, the Viso II+ does not detect short freefalls and put them in the log. I put it in student mode the other day for a series of hop and pops, and it recorded them just fine. I don't really need the data, but it's helpful to keep the jump numbers in the device aligned with those in my paper logbook. I can't find a downside to leaving it in student mode. Am I missing something?

I use a ProTrack but is has the same option.

Downside: it may log a descending airplane as a jump.
For instance, this can happen due to sudden bad weather or low clouds.

So basically you end up with the same problem with your logbook. You will have to guess which of the two will happen more often.

evh

I use a ProTrack but is has the same option.

Downside: it may log a descending airplane as a jump.
For instance, this can happen due to sudden bad weather or low clouds.

So basically you end up with the same problem with your logbook. You will have to guess which of the two will happen more often.

Hadn't thought of the rapid descent. I had my first one last week. We got up to 14K and couldn't find a hole in the clouds so took a rapid dive to 5.5K for hop and pops. I was a little surprised how quickly we descended. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised because the plane usually beats me to the ground.