gjhdiver

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

Faith gives one the drive to try to be a good person

What an insult to human dignity…………

I have no faith what so ever in any silly sky gods, and yet somehow believe it or not I manage to be (most of the time) a “good person”.

How is that possible I hear you say, well guess what we can all do it, its call Humanity – [I] The condition or quality of being human[/I]
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

The point is that we have it and others should accept a different perspective.

That sounds great...except all of the worlds major religions are exclusive. They all teach that "we're right, and if you don't believe like we do, you're wrong and you'll be punished." I.E.- they exclude those who don't believe what they do from the chance of an eternal reward.
Doesn't seem very "accepting" to me.
(this exclusivity is necessary, otherwise these belief systems wouldn't have survived and evolved, but that's another thread completely...;))
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

Exactly...They are not Accepting. I never have and I still do not believe in any organized religion. They all have flaws. The strive for improvement in some form, whatever it takes to make you try a little harder, was my only point. The main aspect of individuality is overlooked by those that can not accept a different view point, from their reality.

Attempting to take that away or to be condescending because you don't agree is a waste of your time.

The only thing I've been condescending about (in this thread anyway) is the notion that it is somehow a struggle against popular opinion to be christian in The USA. However you cut it, that's pretty absurd.

Faith of some kind, gives one the drive to try to be a good person

See Broken
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I wasn't referring to you. I meant that people in general have no acceptance for difference. They can argue their point but it is difficult to get someone to change their belief structure. I actually agree with you, to a point, it was misconstrued. It's interesting to see things through someone elses eyes. :)

They can argue their point but it is difficult to get someone to change their belief structure.

Oh absolutely. I'm not sure if anyone here thinks they can actually change what the other posters believe (except for hairyjuan - and pajarito keeps on trying). For me it's just a fun debate - there is no danger of ever reaching a consensus and at the end of the day none of it really matters. What will happen will happen regardless of what we believe.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

;) Not sure that I'm a Fundamentalist... However, I do have a deep faith that Jesus is my lord. What others believe in is their business.

However, the very fact that you would post this for no reason makes me wonder if you aren't looking for someone to prove you wrong so then without a doubt you would have to believe. Good luck, and remember the one who knows the most about you loves you the most..

However, the very fact that you would post this for no reason makes me wonder if you aren't looking for someone to prove you wrong so then without a doubt you would have to believe.

Yeah. I am pretty sure that is not the reason for this post, but welcome to SC!

:)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

However, the very fact that you would post this for no reason makes me wonder if you aren't looking for someone to prove you wrong so then without a doubt you would have to believe.

Actually, the reason was the exact opposite of what you stated just there.

fundamentalist means ignoring that fact that it is all mythology. moderation is a front for fundamentalism, no matter what brand you choose. a fundamentalist theocracy is tryannical in nature, no matter what religion it is founded on!

www.thegodmovie.com
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

wishers never choose, choosers never wish

Glad you brought this documentary up as I thought it was excellent, as it many others did also.

I would be very interested to get Windcatchers, Pajaritos, and the rest of the god squads comments on it, however I feel as with every other piece of fact that dents thier armor of belief, the christian way is to "ignore" it, and hope that it goes away....
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

I just skipped all the replies slamming you. I'll just summarize the default answer here. "I have faith. Ergo, you are wrong." See, no logical arguments are required here.

Here's one miracle you've never seen or heard of. God seems to have missed this one.... clicky, click oh faithful ones....;):)
http://whydoesgodhateamputees.com/

it seems like the ones that dont believe in God are the only ones complaining that he doesnt hand over everything they ask for. its like not believing in toilettes just because you accidentaly miss and piss on your foot.
we need to talk about your flare..

it seems like the ones that dont believe in God are the only ones complaining that he doesnt hand over everything they ask for. its like not believing in toilettes just because you accidentaly miss and piss on your foot.

I saw no complaints, just factual observations that the claims of the fundamentalists are untrue.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Kallend--- still trying to appear objective in your criticisms of Christianity, I see. ;););)

There is zero objective evidence that prayer works, and some evidence that in some cases it has a negative effect. www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/04.06/05-prayer.html

I'm frankly pleased that God isn't a vending machine or a genie. He doesn't bow to me; I bow to Him. The time will come when every knee will bow to Him and every tongue confess that Christ is Lord-- some in anger, tho' forced to recognize His sovereignty over all creation-- and some in joyful fulfillment. :)
Philippians 2:5-11 (Today's New International Version)

5 In your relationships with one another, have the same attitude of mind Christ Jesus had:
6 Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a human being,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Blue skies & happy knots ~Mockingbird
"O, joy and rapture unforeseen, the clouded sky is
now serene!"

A few other signs you might be a radical fundamentalist christian:

-You think that doubling the concentration of CO2 in our atmosphere cannot possibly have any effect whatsoever on our climate, and that nothing bad can happen from doing so. But the sea might turn into blood tomorrow.

-A government that pays to maintain crosses in public areas is a sign that the secular government hates christianity - because the cross isn't big enough.

-Saving the unborn from abortion is far more important than saving living children from war.

-You get Christmas off, like everyone in the US does, and you use the day to go to church to listen to a priest say that christianity is under attack.

"Prayer works"?

Isn't that a bumper sticker? Whoever came up with that expression was, I'm sure, well meaning... but a bit "off"--- or at least the interpretation of that expression is a bit off. This came about for the same reason that many false ideas came about: a poor hermeneutic. Scripture should be interpreted carefully and accurately. You can't just close your eyes and point to a verse and say, "Whoopeee; I got a sign from da Lord!"

Prayer isn't an incantation; it doesn't "work" or "not work." There's nothing magical about prayer in and of itself. GOD works, and often works through prayer, but He acts in accordance with His wisdom and purposes, not ours (tho' always with our good in mind).

Blue skies & happy knots ~Mockingbird
"O, joy and rapture unforeseen, the clouded sky is
now serene!"

"Prayer works"?

Isn't that a bumper sticker? Whoever came up with that expression was, I'm sure, well meaning... but a bit "off"---

Umm - Jesus said so, according to Matthew, Mark and John.

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

That's funny :)
7 ounce wonders, music and dogs that are not into beer

Kallend--- still trying to appear objective in your criticisms of Christianity, I see. ;););)

There is zero objective evidence that prayer works, and some evidence that in some cases it has a negative effect. www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/04.06/05-prayer.html

Harvard doesn't believe in prayer. Wow! You could have blown me away with that one! :S I wonder why Duke Medical University says it does?
http://www.dukemednews.duke.edu/news/article.php?id=5056

steveOrino

Ermm well maybe, just maybe us "non" believers dont believe in any silly sky gods because..........

1.There is absolutely no empirical or physical evidence what so ever for the existence of a God, or any God.

2.We are unwilling to accept on blind faith fantastic stories from a long time ago, which were poorly documented many years after they supposedly happened.

Also can any one explain this passage? Judges 1:19:

"And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron."

Apparently this God, who creates stars and galaxies from nothing, sends plagues on humanity, parts seas for his followers to escape, and floods the Earth to the top of Mount Everest, has trouble dealing with chariots of iron. How strange.