Arkansas
$34,246 (47)

Mississippi
$32,466 (49)

Kentucky
$34,368 (46)

West Virginia
$31,008 (50)

Lot of "RED" states among the least educated.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I've also noticed that Washington D.C. counts 23.6 percent of its residents over the age of 25 as having a graduate degree, far more than any other place.

In 2002, Washington D.C. has the nation's highest murder rate. D.C. was distinctly blue. In fact, the top ten murder capitals in the US are all distinctly BLUE!

To show my results, here's the map I used.
http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2004/PurpleAmericaPosterAll50.gif

In order, here are the highest murder rates:

1. Washington D.C. - Note how totally blue D.C. is.
2. Detroit is a little purple, but Kerry took it.
3. Baltimore is a nice blue box in Maryland;
4. Memphis is that blue southwest corner of Tennesee
5. Chicago - you'll know how to find that, Prof.
6. Philly - it's blue.
7. Columbus, Ohio - That blue box roughly dead center in Ohio is Columbus.
8. Milwaukee, WI - That dark blue sliver on Lake Michigan just north of the illinois border.
9. Los Angeles - The dark blue gem of Southern California; and
10. Dallas - yes, that fairly lonely blue square in Northeast Texas is Dallas. Yes, even blue took some strides in Texas.

I just think it's interesting to note the correlation between sociopathic murderers and democratic strongholds. Not to say that Democrats represent murderous sociopaths, or even that the the well-educated populations are where you'd go to find murderers. As much as the statistics bear that out, I mean, that statement would hold as much weight as looking at educational levels vs. voting patterns.

It just makes me wonder about murderers, education and Democrats. They seem to go hand in hand, but then, things aren't always what they seem.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I just think it's interesting to note the correlation between sociopathic murderers and democratic strongholds. Not to say that Democrats represent murderous sociopaths, or even that the the well-educated populations are where you'd go to find murderers. As much as the statistics bear that out, I mean, that statement would hold as much weight as looking at educational levels vs. voting patterns.

It surprises you that criminals tend to congregate where the population and median income is higher?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Does that give you a warm fuzzy?

Just makes me wonder...

Has it ever occured to you that this country couldn't function if everyone had PhD's? Are you aware that many High Schools are changing their curriculums to teach kids more of the skills they will need to survive in the real world instead of preparing all kids for college the way they did in the past?

Has it ever occured to you that one of the reasons kids drop out of High School is because they actually want to be Electricians, Plumbers, Auto Mechanics etc. and they are bored because they feel the schools aren't teaching them the things they are interested in? Imagine that, some people actually don't want to have a PhD.

Has it occured to you that one of the reasons we have an immigration problem is because snotty, elitist, Americans don't want to be the ones installing your roof, siding, flooring etc?

So maybe it's time to climb down off that high horse and understand that the guy installing your plumbing, electical wiring, carpet, siding etc. might just be very happy doing it and he just might be making more per year than the snotty Engineer or College Proffessor.

Just makes me wonder...

Having a degree academically does not translate to one's intelligence or one's ability, or one's ideals. Certainly you'd understand that, as that majority of the USA's population lives in the major cities and, to your horror, I'm sure, the majority did re-elect "him".:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

irony: educated people...especially educators...are among the most ignorant/out of touch people i have ever met in the area of reality and how it works.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Are you aware that many High Schools are changing their curriculums to teach kids more of the skills they will need to survive in the real world instead of preparing all kids for college the way they did in the past?

When did they start preparing kids for college or teaching necessary skills??? When I went to high school, it was all about pep rallies and football... but maybe that's just a Texas thing. :|

the duty to take the consequences

......or otherwise known as taking responcibility, and to avoid it some place the lables.

What is the term or phrase used most often by libs?

Something to think about.....

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

There are a lot of HARD-WORKING people in the states you highlight. I'm certainly not among those who contributed to the "red" status of my home state, but some of the best people I know are waaay less educated than you and me.... They're without a doubt as qualified to vote.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Are you aware that many High Schools are changing their curriculums to teach kids more of the skills they will need to survive in the real world instead of preparing all kids for college the way they did in the past?

When did they start preparing kids for college or teaching necessary skills??? When I went to high school, it was all about pep rallies and football... but maybe that's just a Texas thing. :|

Yea it's a Texas thing, same for me...and we wonder why they put pictures on the cash register at Mc Donalds.
I should have been a kickass drummer and a world famous first base man.

Does that give you a warm fuzzy?

Just makes me wonder...

Has it ever occured to you that this country couldn't function if everyone had PhD's? Are you aware that many High Schools are changing their curriculums to teach kids more of the skills they will need to survive in the real world instead of preparing all kids for college the way they did in the past?

Has it ever occured to you that one of the reasons kids drop out of High School is because they actually want to be Electricians, Plumbers, Auto Mechanics etc. and they are bored because they feel the schools aren't teaching them the things they are interested in? Imagine that, some people actually don't want to have a PhD.

Has it occured to you that one of the reasons we have an immigration problem is because snotty, elitist, Americans don't want to be the ones installing your roof, siding, flooring etc?

So maybe it's time to climb down off that high horse and understand that the guy installing your plumbing, electical wiring, carpet, siding etc. might just be very happy doing it and he just might be making more per year than the snotty Engineer or College Proffessor.

PhDs weren't mentioned in the data. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Then there's this stuff from the census bureau (attached).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

harder working than the current guy. (it's a lot more work when you try to get Congress to pass your wishes rather than just write Presidential edicts on your own.

---
I don't really like the overall thread because it's really about metropolitan areas. Remove the greater Chicago area and I suspect Illinois isn't very different from the red states listed.

Big cities have more white collar jobs, abd yeah, also tend to have more crime (in the slum areas)

Was Bill Clinton a hard worker?

I think he had his moments....

but I don't think he was ever a "break your heel" kind of hard-worker :P
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Was Bill Clinton a hard worker?

I doubt he would have won a Rhodes Scholarship if he hadn't worked hard. They don't give them away.

I guess he was kind of an achiever at that.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

PhDs weren't mentioned in the data. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Talk about completely missing the point......whoooosh.

Then there's this stuff from the census bureau

Again, you miss the point. Additionally posting data from 9 years ago isn't even germain considering that was during the Tech boom. The construction and Real Estate boom has been happening since 1996. I know more people invoved in that industry who are makeing considerably more today that the snotty Elitists with ther sheep skins. Many with Professional degrees are waiting tables at your local Applebys or are involved in Management School for McDonalds since the Tech Companies flatlined.

When will the snotty Elitists learn that sucess in life has nothing to do with a big paycheck of a sheepskin on the wall? It has more to do with motivation and the ability to spot opportunities and capitalize on them.

You might also read "Emotional Intelligence" by Daniel Goleman.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553375067/103-1407115-6478206?v=glance&n=283155

A much better predictor of sucess than a Professional Degree.

More reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence

......or otherwise known as taking responcibility, and to avoid it some place the lables.

What is the term or phrase used most often by libs?

Something to think about.....

It's called an education, where children learn how to read and write. Spelling is also a valuable tool with which you can convey ideas.

I have a friend that makes $95,000 in the IT field. He did not go to college. He has natural intellect. It seems to me that he was born prepared. The stats are not always as they appear. You learn true life lessons with experience & determination. Formal education does not always qualify as intellegence. In some cases it is just a way to spend a shit load of money on wasted time & effort. IMO. :P

Dealing with the school systems/principals/superintendents on a daily basis, most, not all, but most, could not survive a single moment in the real world of work and money. Saying that, I'm glad they are in their chosen profession, we need them. I couldn't stand a system that rewards tenure vs. performance.