shadeland

Aerodyne Changes

I noticed a big change in Aerodyne's page today. There are new Icons (Icon A, Icon V, Icon) with some new designs and all can take a Skyhook (it used to be Icon Pro and Icon Sport, the later couldn't have a Skyhook). They trimmed their canopy line too (see what I did there?) I don't see the Mamba or Sensei any more (I guess they stopped selling them a while ago?).

I'd be interested in hearing reviews of the new Icons. Anyone jump one?

As for rigger manuals, they now have for the Icon:

- The pre-neXgen manual -- which is a classic black and white manual with a date of Jan 2010.

- The neXgen manual -- colour, May 2017.

I didn't see any obvious list of changes. Anyone know how to even spot the difference between the two types? Does a rig say NexGen on it somewhere?

I'll shoot them a line and ask.

(Companies tend to be poor in defining what their manuals apply to exactly. But it gets messy with small product improvements, so sometimes the rig infront of you does not match any "current" manual. )

Edit: NexGen changed to Aerodyne's "neXgen".
lOve tHe speLling...
Edit: But at least one of their pages does use the other spelling, NexGen. Whatever.

Interesting. I liked the Mamba and owned a few, but it was never a stellar canopy, just fun to fly. They never really got a following, and the resale value on them was terrible.

I'll hang on to my gelvanor 104 that they made custom for me, never going to get your hands on one of those again. :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I believe they simply split the cosmetics in two different order forms. The A and V seem to be essentially the same as the neXgen, but with a different design for the A or V sign in the flaps, nothing else.

I'm pretty sure the "A" and "V" have distinct bundles of options included in their respective base prices too. I'm not sure how crazy you can get in terms of adding options a la carte with either.

betzilla

I believe they simply split the cosmetics in two different order forms. The A and V seem to be essentially the same as the neXgen, but with a different design for the A or V sign in the flaps, nothing else.

I'm pretty sure the "A" and "V" have distinct bundles of options included in their respective base prices too. I'm not sure how crazy you can get in terms of adding options a la carte with either.

You are right. In https://www.flyaerodyne.com/icons/ you can see the comparison. However, in the order form, I can't see any difference, besides the different embroidery options and the different preselected options.

So while there are a million sometimes overlapping features & options for the Icon, Icon A, and Icon V, for riggers it is simpler. I had forgotten this stuff but got feedback from Jennifer Dillon at Aerodyne.

The neXgen ones are went into production from mid 2013 onwards. Rigs are identified with IX- as opposed to IN- serial numbers. The main visible difference is the last 2 reserve flaps close in opposite order. Top flap last, rather than bottom flap last as on traditional Icons.

While there are various upgrades (eg, RSL held in a channel and not by velcro), the flaps are the only substantial rigging change, so I think one doesn't have to obsess about what might have changed between manuals.

hackish

As I understand it, they are making changes to simplify things. Why present jumpers with a list of 100 options when you can streamline the process by offering the combination that 95% of people ordered anyway.

-Michael

This is exactly it - I was talking to Gordon Sellers, the CEO of Aerodyne this weekend at Springfest at GO Skydive, and asked him about the changes. That's exactly what he told me. They looked at their orders and what people actually choose, and basically created two "models" based on the options people choose to make it all a lot simpler. The Icon V comes with what freeflyers and swoopers) tend to order standard (extra magnet in the riser covers, belly band, etc), while the A is a more basic bellyflier rig. You can order an A and add most of the V options and get about the same price point.

The whole idea was to try to go through all their orders and see what wound up being common to them to make ordering a whole lot easier.

On the subject of their website, I noticed something strange. In the "Canopies" section, under "Triathalon", the second two columns of text are in Latin. However, it doesn't really translate to anything. I guess just a placeholder for future text insertion provided by the website-building software. Still, a bit strange looking.

Kevin K.