GeorgeKat

Bernina 217 decorative attachment timing.

I just bought a Bernina 217 that has very little use but was never oiled. The decorative attachment cam was not rotating and this was because the grub screws holding the gear to the attachment drive shaft inside the body of the machine were lose. I tightend them and oiled the machine and it all goes round and round. However, when I switch on the decorative attachment it locks up (all turned by hand).

I think I need to correctly set the timing of this shaft to the rest of the machine. I cannot find a manual with this attachment. I found a 217N manual but it has a different cam box. Mine is on the attached pic.

Can anyone explain this set up or point me to a manual that explains it?

Thanks in advance.

I am busy at the moment buit can get back to you later. I have a 217 also. I need to know which wheel in the game have you? there is a number on the cog. give me this number. and also tell me the millimeter stitch width. I have a 217 N 08. the last 2 digits are the millimeter spread stitch width. and do you know how to put it in time?
take care, space

Thanks for the offer of help.

I was able to resolve my problem. I just adjusted the timing of the cam so that nothing was moving while the needle was down.

However now I'm looking for the 2 step zigzag cam for this machine. Does anyone have one, know where I can get one or have a detailed drawing so that I can get one made?

The Bernina part number is 310.155.03. It will have 310155 or just 155 stamped on it.

Thanks in advance.

It's not on ebay right now but usually there is a guy selling plastic versions. It's the only 308 stitch cam I've ever seen. The original set of cams that came with the machine did not include that cam. It was available separately. Some must exist but I've never seen a metal one for sale. It's unclear to me if global, who makes new 217s makes the small cam cor 308.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE