Flying-Wench

Groundbreaking New Zealand case on HIV disclosure

From the Australian Federation of AIDS organisations website:

"A recent NZ case clarifying positive people’s responsibilities in preventing HIV transmission has made headlines around the world. SALLY CAMERON looks at the circumstances of the case, how Judge Susan Thomas came to her decision and its applicability to Australia.On 4 October 2005, the Wellington Court ruled that HIV positive people do not have to reveal their serostatus to sexual partners if they use condoms. The case in question considered the actions of Justin Dalley, who faced two charges of criminal nuisance against a woman he met over the internet. In summary, the charges were that he failed to inform the woman that he was HIV positive 1) before having oral intercourse and 2) before having vaginal intercourse, knowing that doing so would endanger her health. Mr Dalley did not use a condom during the oral sex they had with each other but did use a condom during the vaginal sex.

Importantly, this was a case involving ‘exposure’ not ‘transmission, ie. the woman did not contract HIV. In all previous cases heard in New Zealand (exposure and transmission), condoms had not been used. Also, the issue being tested was Mr Dalley’s duty to use “reasonable” precautions and care, not “failsafe precautions”. In making her decision, Judge Thomas relied heavily on the evidence of medical experts.

the rest of the article can be found at:
http://www.afao.org.au/view_articles.asp?pxa=ve&pxs=103&pxsc=127&pxsgc=139&id=561

Whats scarey is boy meets girl.

Girl likes boy

so they get some action and next day the girl goes to bathroom after the boy leaves and written on the mirror is "welcome to the world of AIDS"

Scary and true this has happened..

Another one is tow soldiers have an affair to together and then one is being reasigned over seas and wants the other to go with them...that person says no and as the one who is leaving is packing up there stuff to go that person shes their medical chart and opens it to see the HIV positive results page....

Scary but true....

As eddy Murphy put it some years ago whats next:

stick it in and blow up.... Well maybe I should check that out.....

Its a scary world out there...
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Wow, true eh? Did someone send you that on an email with 'tell ten people you know in the next ten minutes or all your hair will fall out' at the bottom of it?:D:D:P
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

so they get some action and next day the girl goes to bathroom after the boy leaves and written on the mirror is "welcome to the world of AIDS"

Urban myth.

Another one is tow soldiers have an affair to together and then one is being reasigned over seas and wants the other to go with them...that person says no and as the one who is leaving is packing up there stuff to go that person shes their medical chart and opens it to see the HIV positive results page....

Never heard this one but, most likely it is a myth.

As for Kells post, any person who knowingly exposes another to the virus without disclosure should be charged accordingly. Any person who exposes themselve with the knowledge that they are doing so are taking a risk that only they are responsible for. Always take precuation to limit transmission, Be safer by being more informed.
http://www.avert.org/
Hope you learn something.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Both of this situations are true.

one happened to a soldier around Fort Knox, KY and the other one was at Fort Bragg, NC in the late 80's early 90's.

The first case she was a prostute that was picked up and the next morning the GI found a note on his mirror and she was long time gone.

What about the prostute in Panama City, Panama who had AIDS I remember them posting her photo all around the place after "Just Cause" Some of my friends think they knew her in that special way. Me I just stayed away from those special action areas.

The other one happened to a guy in my unit who was HIV but we did not know this until it came time for him to ETS as he had a realtionship with another soldier in another unit whom they shared an apartment with and she was going to Germany. Last time I heard this was some years back that she was still negative.

It goes also to show that in Asia espially Thaiand/ Vietnam HIV is at a highest levels it can be due to the sex trade. It scares the piss out of me that they either know they are or not but they also look at the amount of money that can be made at sex instead of working in an office etc... I am glad that the government has tried to crack down on the business and offer knowledge to the people on safe sex practices. But the issue is still present.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Unless you have positive (no pun intended) proof, I am assuming that your story is hearsay.
I, on the otherhand have been involved in HIV/AIDS awarness since 1995 and I have heard this tale a number of times. Myth.

Welcome to the World of AIDS

Dateline: 05/21/98

Nothing is safe any more!

Have a few drinks at a bar, you wake up without your kidneys. Flash your headlights at a passing car, gang members open fire on you in a drive-by initiation rite.

Now, it appears, you can't even go to the movies without putting your life at risk – this according to the latest email scare story making the rounds.

Read on...
Warning - MUST READ

Be careful the next time you go to a cinema. These people could be anywhere!! An experience of a friend of my brother's wife left me speechless. Please do send this out to everyone you know. This incident occurred in Bombay's Metro cinema (Among the best in town). They were a group of 6-7 College girls & they went to the theater to see a movie. During the show one of the girls felt a slight pinprick but did not pay much attention to it.

After sometime that place began to itch. So she scratched herself and then saw a bit of blood on her hands. She assumed that she had caused it. At the end of the show, her friend noticed a sticker on her dress and read the caption. It read "Welcome to the world of AIDS". She tried to pass it off as a practical joke but when she went for a blood test a couple of weeks later (just to be sure), she found herself HIV Positive.

When she complained to the cops, they mentioned that her story was one of the many such cases they had received. It seems the operator uses a syringe to transfer a bit of his/her infected blood to the person sitting ahead of him/her. A horrible experience for the victim as also the family & friends. The WORST bit is that the person who does it gains NOTHING where as the victim loses EVERYTHING. So, be careful...

Welcome to the world of urban folklore. What you've just read is a legend in the classic style; more precisely, a new variant of a popular tale from the mid-1980s known as "AIDS Mary."

The AIDS Mary legend was first documented nearly ten years ago by folklorist Jan Harold Brunvand in his book, "Curses! Broiled Again!" (W.W. Norton, 1989). At that time, Brunvand noted that a familiar scenario had been cropping up in slightly different forms around the world since about 1987. It usually took the form of a cautionary tale: after a night of casual sex with a woman he doesn't know, a man wakes up the next morning to find the words "Welcome to the world of AIDS" scrawled in lipstick on his bathroom mirror. Supposedly, the woman had contracted the fatal disease from a previous lover and sworn to pass it on to every man she could seduce. (For more on the earlier form of the legend, see AIDS Mary, by Barbara Mikkelson.)

In the 1998 version the original punch line is retained, but the story has taken a decidedly darker and creepier turn. No longer are the victims culpable for their plight. It's not careless sex with a stranger that seals their doom, it's simply a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Innocent people are randomly chosen for infection by anonymous villains — AIDS by stealth injection.

The same scenario is played out in another recent variant, also circulating by email:

Subject: Important message from Al (SERIOUS)

This could be life or death for somebody. There are these gangs running around Britain sticking HIV-infected needles into people and then handing them a card/leaflet reading 'Welcome To The World of HIV'. This is not a joke or an urban myth, it's actually happened to somebody Fi (the woman whose e-mail I'm using) knows. They've been seen in Brighton and in Crawley, and last night they were active in The Gallery. So you can understand why I'm more than a little anxious about this. Any of us could have been in the Gallery last night, and most of us were planning to go. The idea of this happening to anybody I care about gives me the shits, hence the warning. I'm not trying to scare anybody or make anybody paranoid, but please, be careful and maybe don't go clubbing for a few days. Christ knows you won't be missing much.

This is not a joke. Please forward this. Reply to the address I'm sending this from if you have questions - she's the one who told me about it. These people don't just operate in clubs, they operate on the street, while you're shopping, anywhere, so being paranoid probably isn't the answer. But please, take care. This IS happening and I couldn't take it if it happened to you.

Cheers,
Al.

Urban legends are often called "friend of a friend" tales because the information presented in them is hearsay, typically credited to a thirdhand source. Both of the present examples adhere to this formula.

"An experience of a friend of my brother's wife left me speechless," writes the author of the Bombay version (who is anything but speechless).

"This is not a joke or an urban myth, " the author of the British version pleads, "it's actually happened to somebody Fi (the woman whose e-mail I'm using) knows."

None of the factual claims made in these stories are corroborated with evidence. Some are downright ludicrous — for example, the claim made in the Bombay version that the victim got a blood test "a couple of weeks" after the incident and was found to be HIV-positive. That's highly unlikely. The incubation period before detectable antibodies appear after exposure to HIV is typically four to eight weeks, often longer.

There's also the improbable claim that police told a victim that hers was only "one of the many such cases they had received." If that's so, why hasn't the press taken an interest? One would think that multiple instances of HIV infection caused by hypodermic-wielding thugs in two countries would have incited a full-tilt media frenzy by now, but reputable news organizations evidently don't find it credible.

Maybe they're all just waiting for Matt Drudge to break the story.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

It's not wise to expect the law or a sexual partner to protect you from HIV since neither is as interested in your health as you are.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Nothing is safe any more!

Have a few drinks at a bar, you wake up without your kidneys.

Hey I know a guy that happened to;)
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I agree. These urban myths drive me mad as they are simply scare campaigns, and dont do anything to actually help build FACTUAL awaremess and do nothing to help break down the stigma associated with HIV.

Its slightly amusing though to think that people would rather read these things and forward them on, rather than reading stats and real stories from people that have the virus. I wonder why this is.. head in sand syndrome? or just ignorance? Personally id much rather be educated and aware, of the facts.. and whats really going on..

and i also believe in checking those kinds of email stories on a hoax ID site before sending on, and if you receive one and it is a hoax, advise the sender! (a little embarassing for them, but better than this ridiculous info being distributed!)

I agree also that you cant expect the law to protect you, a person is ultimately responsible for their own health. I stupidly put my health and lfie in someone elses hands, and im now paying for it. However, in my opinion, those who seek to infect others, or put others at risk because they dont feel that they should disclose should be punished.

Whilst my health is MY business, if there is a risk of transmission, i believe it is no longer just my business!

You also cant expect love to protect you, sadly!