brierebecca

Sex Offenders in Georgia

http://www.forsythnews.com/news/stories/20060618/localnews/103911.shtml

So apparently a community in Georgia has passed a law that is forcing registered sex offenders to move completely out of the county. It seems a little extreme to me. Thoughts?

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

So apparently a community in Georgia has passed a law that is forcing registered sex offenders to move completely out of the county. It seems a little extreme to me. Thoughts?

Brie

Granted, seems extreme at first glance. But what do you do with them? All indications are that their behavior can not be modified without being nuetered or taking drugs - and I would not trust them to stay on the drugs. Certainly wouldn't want incureable predators in my neighborhood.

As I've stated before, convicted predators should be exterminated. The people who don't think so can invite them to their neighborhood.

I feel a crime & punishment debate coming on.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Poor poor sex offenders. Whatever will we do if the consequences for sexual assault, child molestation ...etc actually discourage people from offending? I'll save my pity for those who actually merit my compassion.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Brie

Granted, seems extreme at first glance. But what do you do with them? All indications are that their behavior can not be modified without being nuetered or taking drugs - and I would not trust them to stay on the drugs. Certainly wouldn't want incureable predators in my neighborhood.

Forcing them out of their own community means someone else has to put up with this community's scum.

Maybe we should send all our criminals to Iraq to set up a colony. (Hey, it worked in the 1700s, lots of London's scum became Virginians).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As I've stated before, convicted predators should be exterminated. The people who don't think so can invite them to their neighborhood.

Including the occasional 18 year old boy who's caught with his 16 year old girlfriend? Execution would seem a bit extreme to me. :S

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Ugh...

Why is it that the government will keep people in jail for possesion of marijuana, but not for stuff like this?

If they're any kind of threat, where they live shouldn't be an issue, they should be in jail.

This kind of law sounds like something some politician came up with while posturing for an election. :S

Poor poor sex offenders. Whatever will we do if the consequences for sexual assault, child molestation ...etc actually discourage people from offending?

The problem isn't the sex-offenders, it's setting legal precident that does not consider placing legal restrictions on criminals who've already served their sentances to be unconstitutional ex-post-facto laws.

It's not a legal stretch to go from moving sex offenders outside city limits (population density must allow > 1000 feet to a school bus stop) to doing the same for people convicted of posessing marijuanna as young adults.

Or to prohibit those people from voting. Unless they're wealthy and connected enough to have their convictions legally expunged, which would definately change voter demographics.

Poor poor sex offenders. Whatever will we do if the consequences for sexual assault, child molestation ...etc actually discourage people from offending?

The problem isn't the sex-offenders, it's setting legal precident that does not consider placing legal restrictions on criminals who've already served their sentances to be unconstitutional ex-post-facto laws.

It's not a legal stretch to go from moving sex offenders outside city limits (population density must allow > 1000 feet to a school bus stop) to doing the same for people convicted of posessing marijuanna as young adults.

Or to prohibit those people from voting. Unless they're wealthy and connected enough to have their convictions legally expunged, which would definately change voter demographics.

If they are well connected and wealthy enough, who knows, maybe someone with a DUI and/or cocaine conviction will one day become President of the USA.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I do'nt believe that child molesters can be rehabilitated. They should be executed. I had a childhood friend that grew up to be a CM. Confessed to molesting his own children. He spent maybe 6 mo. in a pre release. No real time. I grew up with him and still feel he does not deserve to live.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

This is one of the main reasons I oppose the registry. The registry prevents released offenders from becoming productive members of society. It makes it difficult for them to obtain employment and housing. If we're going to release these people, we need to make sure they actually have some chance of surviving outside of jail. If they're so dangerous that society needs to be warned about who they are, they shouldn't be released.

I watched a couple of those episodes this last weekend and laughed my ass off!!! WTH were those guys thinking?!!! It absolutely blows me away that people like that exist.:S

It is hilarious to watch these losers squirm when confronted by the cameras, but I will bet that sooner or later some "criminal rights" type will argue that it is a violation of their "rights" to humiliate them on TV like that.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I understand your concern however you can apply the slippery slope argument to any new development. By virtue of having laws we are already at risk of a slippery slope.

I would have no problem denying pedophiles the right to vote (if we must allow them to live).

Richards

This is one of the main reasons I oppose the registry. The registry prevents released offenders from becoming productive members of society. It makes it difficult for them to obtain employment and housing. If we're going to release these people, we need to make sure they actually have some chance of surviving outside of jail. If they're so dangerous that society needs to be warned about who they are, they shouldn't be released.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

If they're so dangerous that society needs to be warned about who they are, they shouldn't be released.

They are; And I agree that they shouldn't be released in the first place.

Richards

The registry prevents released offenders from becoming productive members of society

Uhm, hate to tell you this, but it's pretty unanimous in professional circuits that these people are beyond ever becoming productive members of society.

I know that. If you read the rest of my post, I stated that if they're dangerous, don't let them out in the first place. If you're going to let them out, let them out when/if they're no longer a danger. If they're not a danger, there's no need for the registry. If they are a danger, they shouldn't be out in the first place, and there's no need for the registry.

>but it's pretty unanimous in professional circuits that these people
> are beyond ever becoming productive members of society.

Why not?

There's a recycling center near here. They hire people to pick through the recycled material to separate glass, paper, aluminum, cardboard etc. No kids around, and they can be supervised. And someone has to do it.

these people are beyond ever becoming productive members of society.

That's not true. We can use them for medical experiments. That would be much more acceptable than using innocent animals.

Richards

>but it's pretty unanimous in professional circuits that these people
> are beyond ever becoming productive members of society.

Why not?

There's a recycling center near here. They hire people to pick through the recycled material to separate glass, paper, aluminum, cardboard etc. No kids around, and they can be supervised. And someone has to do it.

Isn't that what we have illegals for? :D