Shawtown939

Stiletto 190 slider on stiletto 150

Shawtown939

Anyone tried this to slow the opening a bit? Only difference is 3" on the chord. I don't want a pocket, don't want Dacron. Ideas. Packing ideas not wanted please. Went there, no difference. Lines in trim. (Fresh reline, same results) thanks

Perhaps of use:http://www.pcprg.com/hardop.htm

See the section titled "Update November 2004".

The only problem is that I never recorded the size of the original slider on my Stiletto, but you have that for your 190.

Also keep in mind that just like the Sabre canopies I worked with, Stilettos of different sizes may have the same sized slider. See the last paragraph of "Personal Experiences and Research".

Shawtown939

...Only difference is 3" on the chord...

"only" 3 inches may or may not be a good choice of words. Making even small changes in slider dimensions could have disastrous results depending on variables we know nothing about. Some canopy types may be very accepting of changes while others may not.

My go-to is always to call the manufacturer. They designed and built the canopy and they know what parameters are safe to change and which are not.

Call PD and explain what the problem is. Chances are they will have several ideas for you.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Pretty much this. Basement science on your parachutes is not a good idea, especially if you're doing basement science in the first place because you're injured.

As a datapoint, I put a velo slider on my katanas (about 2" bigger) and it made my openings significantly faster and harder. This was desirable subterminal where it eliminated snivel and line twists, but made terminal jumps pretty painful.

Contact the manufacturer. I'm also kinda skeptical of your "Don't talk to me about packing". For better or for worse, PD canopies have a lot of well loved techniques to improve openings. Much of it is probably superstition, but I'd find someone with jillions of Stiletto jumps and see what they do. Stealing other people's velo packjobs has improved my life significantly.

Shawtown939

Anyone tried this to slow the opening a bit? ... Packing ideas not wanted please. Went there, no difference.

I would try again. Packing is your answer. A good pack job makes all the difference. I'm assuming you pack for yourself. I've always done my own for quality control and it works for me. With hundreds of jumps on an ST150, I've only had a couple stiff openings. All the rest were sweet and smooth. Don't blame the canopy for a paid packer's errors. They work hard, but they will never care as much as you. A six-minute pack job is a six-minute pack job. ;)

A Stiletto is very forgiving, but a few things have worked well for me.. slider full up against the stops, symmetrical flaking, keep the nose straight (no tucking), wrap the hell out of the tail, symmetrical risers/lines in the container. I also don't rotate the d-bag - I just drop it straight in. Comes out the way it opens. YMMV. Good luck.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

A larger slider on a canopy can actually cause harder openings, as it may allow for faster bottom skin inflation times.

Yup. One possible solution is a larger slider (**) which is box pleated at the edges so that the edge dimensions are the same as the original slider size - the result is basically a dome-shaped slider like you find on some of the softer-opening canopies.

It's probably worth noting that slowing down the openings might make them more squirrely. That's a trade-off that bears some consideration, especially with an elliptical canopy.

** I have no idea how much larger would be optimal for your particular canopy. But I made a few sliders like this a few years ago when I worked for a guy much smarter than I, for several different canopy models, with generally positive results, iirc.