blindguy

New repack card

My rigger said he cant replace the repack card because its supposed to follow the reserve. The problem is that is is plastic (water proof?) and all of the writing is coming off. I have already been denied flying once where the DZ thought the repack date wasnt clear enough. The rig and canopy information are all but gone so I cant see how keeping this card is helping anything. Is there a "proper" way to get a replacement card made?

Your rgger doesn't need to replace it. Just add another one. And tell him to use ball point ink so it doesn't run. But he can rewrite the line for the latest pack job if the first line is no longer legible.

There is no reason this should be a problem.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

So on a side note (Hijacking this thread, #SorryNotSorry) - Have you found a pen for packing data cards that you are really happy with? (I.e. Name and brand?)

I find myself still after 10 years of rigging not satisfied, especially with Wings-style glossy cards.
=========Shaun ==========

Cards are generally made from Tyvek, not paper. Not all pens will write in it. I've have good results with Zebra 301 fine point black pens. They are very common and easy to find. Walmart, Staples, and even commonly available in truck stops as they are also very good for logbooks.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

It's nice if the card follows the canopy. But there are thousands of canopies out there in use as reserves without complete documentation. There is no rule requiring it. Except possibly in some European Nanny States. Find a rigger with better customer service!

Or, as someone else has said, it would be a shame if you accidentally lost the card. Happens all the time.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Unstable

Cards are generally made from Tyvek, not paper.

correct, but there still are 'paper' cards issued by a certain manufacturer. I would mention their name but I've already destroyed 2 threads doing so. :)

Oh well. Cards are generally supplied with containers. Even though traditionally they stay with the canopy. Nothing wrong with throwing the card away and using a standard one instead. They aren't expensive!

in case you sell the rig and the reserve separately, make a copy to provide with the other item (for history information).

I am happy with the Cypres pen which is included with all new Cypres 2
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

gowlerk

Cards are generally made from Tyvek, not paper. Not all pens will write in it. I've have good results with Zebra 301 fine point black pens. They are very common and easy to find. Walmart, Staples, and even commonly available in truck stops as they are also very good for logbooks.

I consider it unfortunate that cards are being supplied that are difficult to write on. I have found that a medium to "large" point ball point pen will write on even the Tyvek cards if I do not press too firmly. ("Fine point" pens don't do this well.)

I had some custom cards printed many years ago with my contact info on them and they are regular paper, and easy to write on.

I'm not sure why Tyvek cards are needed. They don't really get that much wear.

I'm not sure why Tyvek cards are needed. They don't really get that much wear.

Because Tyvek is water proof I would imagine. Ever see a paper card accidentally get washed, or go pond swooping? And get a Zebra F-301 in fine point. You'll be surprised, cheap too!

Yeah!
Whatever psiifish said.

Save the old card and staple it to the new card.
If you worry about losing or washing your reserve card, save a photo-copy.
If you are selling gear, follow tradition by sending the card with the reserve canopy and a photo-copy with the container.

koppel

Airtec give a pen away with units returned from service. To date the best pen I have used on tyvek and any other card

I have a few of those. All I can say is, again, Zebra F-301. The Airtec supplied ones do work. But you have to get them started on paper first.

riggerrob

Yeah!
Whatever psiifish said.

Save the old card and staple it to the new card.
If you worry about losing or washing your reserve card, save a photo-copy.
If you are selling gear, follow tradition by sending the card with the reserve canopy and a photo-copy with the container.

staple ?? I sew them together. Makes it more "rigger-fancy"
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM