JohnRich

Canada: Gun Registration

News:
The Conservative government is waiving the fees for long-gun owners who renew their firearms licences and won’t prosecute those who fail to register weapons for the next year...

The government plans to transfer responsibility for the Canada Firearms Centre to the RCMP. It will also cut $10 million in annual spending at the centre and redirect it to crime-fighting.

The moves, which effectively gut the federal long-gun registry while leaving intact the act of Parliament, follow a damning audit this week that found the former Liberal government fudged the books to hide the registry’s true annual cost.

The program had cost taxpayers almost $1 billion by the end of fiscal 2005, although at the time it was introduced by the Liberals in 1995 it was supposed to cost a net $2 million.

Auditor General Sheila Fraser said many errors remain in the registry data, there is little verification, virtually no follow-up, and no way of measuring whether the program is actually delivering what it promised.
Source: "Toronto Star"

Now they just need to kill the handgun portion of the registry too.

Now they just need to kill the handgun portion of the registry too.

Unlikely to happen. In Canada all handguns have been subject to registration since 1934.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

You'll be next John, they will make you give up your weapons sooner rather than later, its just a matter of time dude. The UN will make it happen, then you'll have to take up archery
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I bet it really pisses people off that their country nor the UN can disarm the US people.

The best they can hope for is that their money will buy them favor in our goverment and therefore gain a foothold in our politics.

I am sure that the UN is aware that even if they sent an entire army of millions here, that just American Civilians would defeat them horribly and in quick order.

That has really gotta burn their ass:o

I bet it really pisses people off that their country nor the UN can disarm the US people.

The best they can hope for is that their money will buy them favor in our goverment and therefore gain a foothold in our politics.

I am sure that the UN is aware that even if they sent an entire army of millions here, that just American Civilians would defeat them horribly and in quick order.

As long as they make tupperware and shovels, the UN or anyone else will never get my guns, or the really awesome reloader that I have!

We Americans are so hardheaded. What will they do with us....

That has really gotta burn their ass

Done beating your chest? :S

For your information "their money" is currently buying your country at record pace. Who do you think is financing your debt?

Secondly, I think the majority of people outside the US could care less what you do with your guns. Most kind of chuckle as you hold on to them and have one of the highest murder rates in the civilized world.

For your information "their money" is currently buying your country at record pace. Who do you think is financing your debt?

Secondly, I think the majority of people outside the US could care less what you do with your guns. Most kind of chuckle as you hold on to them and have one of the highest murder rates in the civilized world.

Yeah we should all move somewhere safe like the Sudan[:/]

Yeah we should all move somewhere safe like the Sudan

Willfully missing the point doesn't really merit further discussion.

You ALWAYS like to point out how dangerous it is here in the US and how high our murder rate is.

I wonder why so many people are willing to risk life and limb just to be here?

No chest beating but I would rather be a citizen than a subject any day...

I would NEVER live in ANY country that does not freely allow the ownership of firearms, it makes me shudder to think about what happens to people who give up any means of resisitance when the need arises.

>I would NEVER live in ANY country that does not freely allow the
> ownership of firearms, it makes me shudder to think about what
> happens to people who give up any means of resisitance when the
> need arises.

I think that some people honestly believe that they are safer in Basra with a gun than in Salt Lake City without one. But hey, whatever makes you happy.

I would NEVER live in ANY country that does not freely allow the ownership of firearms, it makes me shudder to think about what happens to people who give up any means of resisitance when the need arises.

Apparently they live with lower murder rates. I know that is pretty damn scary.

wonder why so many people are willing to risk life and limb just to be here?

I just came back from Vegas. Which was nice and cheap, cause your president has fucked up enough to get our currency at a 28 year high....keep up the good work.

Weapons do not protect your feedoms or rights....Courage does!
A man with a gun and no balls won't last long.
P.S. everything can be used as a weapon if required...even words.
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

Update:
The Conservative government is expected to announce its plan today to start dismantling the long-gun registry after the release of a much anticipated report from the auditor general showing the former Liberal government hid more than $60 million in program costs from Parliament.

Alberta politicians and firearms owners lauded the Tory plan and said they hope it's a decisive victory in their more than decade-long battle. In Edmonton, Premier Ralph Klein praised his federal Conservative cousins for looking to axe the program, arguing the gun registry hasn't translated into gun control.

She said that while the 10-year cost of the registry through the end of fiscal 2005 has been pegged at $946 million, government officials went to great lengths to obscure the true annual tally.

The Harper government is expected to offer amnesty for unregistered long-gun owners, effectively killing the program. Ottawa is also considering repealing laws making it mandatory for long-gun owners to register their weapons.
Source: Calgary Herald

You'll be next John, they will make you give up your weapons sooner rather than later, its just a matter of time dude. The UN will make it happen, then you'll have to take up archery

The UN will only get bullets;)

LOL...Just wait and see.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Err....Yea, Go Wolverines! :S
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Yeah we should all move somewhere safe like the Sudan[:/]

If only!:D
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Weapons do not protect your feedoms or rights....Courage does!
A man with a gun and no balls won't last long.
P.S. everything can be used as a weapon if required...even words.

I would not suggest that charging a machine gun nest armed with only dirty looks and a sharp tongue is a good idea.

But I did get the point, the best scenario is both.

Damn! You have machine gun nests on the streets of America???! :o

No here in the US they don't build nests, they inhabit previously built dwellings and therefore have no reason to spend time nesting.

It is a beautiful sight to watch them make their biannual trip to Knob Creek Kentucky for their ritual of gathering and spitting lead in great volumes.

No here in the US they don't build nests, they inhabit previously built dwellings and therefore have no reason to spend time nesting.

It is a beautiful sight to watch them make their biannual trip to Knob Creek Kentucky for their ritual of gathering and spitting lead in great volumes.

Now that was a funny response! :ph34r:

Now that was a funny response! :ph34r:

TYVM I will be here all week;)B|