hobbes4star

Mexico is making drugs legal

They legalized possession for personal use, they did not legalize possession for the purpose of distribution or sale, or trafficking... in theory they did it to allow authorities focus on the big fish not the user...

So, you can't get in trouble for buying it, but you might have a hard time finding someone to sell it to you...

They legalized possession for personal use, they did not legalize possession for the purpose of distribution or sale, or trafficking... in theory they did it to allow authorities focus on the big fish not the user...

So, you can't get in trouble for buying it, but you might have a hard time finding someone to sell it to you...

the quantity limits seem a bit low for purchase - as best I can guess typical usage, it would allow one to be found with a daily dose, but not in the amounts that a drug dealer would find it profitable to sell.

the quantity limits seem a bit low for purchase - as best I can guess typical usage, it would allow one to be found with a daily dose, but not in the amounts that a drug dealer would find it profitable to sell.

imo, laws like these aren't necc designed to just go out and 'de-criminalize drugs', it's designed to focus the energy and resources of law enforcement, to re-align their priorities.

it's rather obvious that mexico can't wage a 'war on drugs' the way we can here in the us. they don't have the manpower, resources, or authority to do something like that. therefore, it doesn't make sense to even spend .01 on a drug user. you should be focusing any and all efforts on distribution/cartels/large org's.

looks like prioritization of LEO by legislators. wouldn't be surprised if LEO was actually driving this down there, "hey chief i spend all my time arresting the drug addicts, meanwhile you crucify me in the press for failing to arrest to cartel leaders. i can't do both, either i go after street level or i go after something bigger - your choice"

the quantities are set where they are because if you possessed any more, there is the potential for re-sale (or just sale in general). you can't go around de-crim drug possession and going after the drug dealers if you allow every 'possessor' the ability to possess enough qty to be a dealer themselves...

but i'm sure any self-respecting entrepeneur in mexico would gladly engage in a transaction with you that would provide you with substances in a qty < or = to the law...there's 2 sides to the profit coin - volume of sales, or quantity of individual sales. with all the gringo's reading this and licking their lips, i'm thinking 'volume of sales' looks like a winner ;)
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

it's rather obvious that mexico can't wage a 'war on drugs' the way we can here in the us.

Yah, and how's that going for you guys?

It's going great. Next t'ing is to invade Venezwaylia to stop 'em producing all that Cocaine!:)

But first we is gonna hav'ta bring democratics to Mexico 'cos they're electing a Commie Guv'mint and they have oil a drugs problem!:)
Mike (who's gonna hav'ta stop in the face of a sarcasm overload - and a rising tendency to post in a Texas dialect).

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Overall I think it's great what Fox did. One thing people don't know is prior to this new law, a judge in Mexico did not have a set rule to fall back on as to what amount constituted 'personal' use. So someone caught with a briefcase full of coke could persuade a judge to think that a few kilos were for the personal use. Also this new law allows local police to arrest you. Before only the Federales could, which opened the door for local cops to impose 'fines' on people so the feds would not get involved. I'm not saying this new law will end corruption, but at least it's a start.

Overall I think it's great what Fox did. One thing people don't know is prior to this new law, a judge in Mexico did not have a set rule to fall back on as to what amount constituted 'personal' use. So someone caught with a briefcase full of coke could persuade a judge to think that a few kilos were for the personal use. Also this new law allows local police to arrest you. Before only the Federales could, which opened the door for local cops to impose 'fines' on people so the feds would not get involved. I'm not saying this new law will end corruption, but at least it's a start.

Thanks for the background. Sounds like a pretty decent thought process.

it's rather obvious that mexico can't wage a 'war on drugs' the way we can here in the us.

Yah, and how's that going for you guys?

you missed my sarcasm, sorry ;) i am, by no means, a fan of our bogus 'war on drugs'. i'm just sayin, they can't throw $ and manpower at the problem the way we can. that's all. not trying to indicate that our strategy is working or not, just sayin they can't adopt it - it just won't work in their situation.
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell