ccowden

Gee... I wonder if obesity is becoming a problem.

Just about every other report I type includes the line "Examination is severely limited due to patient body habitus" = too fat for imaging equipment to work :o

Back when I worked in ultrasound, we did it, too. An early name for a band I was in was, "Body Habitus" and our demo album was gonna be called, "Detail Compromised" by Body Habitus.

It's awful having to push the fat aside to get to something.

And, obesity is becoming a pretty big problem, no pun intended.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Lets not forget the role that genetics plays. Some of us have very healthy lifestyles and still struggle with weight. I'm so fed up with fighting it.. just wanna say fuck it this is who I am. [:/]

I dont think that anyone is going to aruge that obesity is not a problem in this country.

and they say that smokers are costing the tax payer.If that is their thinking then there should be added tax for services provided for obese people on any thing that cost extra because of them being obese. Sure there are some it is a med problem but for most they just can't but down that cake or bigmac

http://www.swoopstudios.com/videos/videos-rex.php

I went to see Stomp back in March (great show) and there was a morbidly obese man sitting next , I mean ON, me. His arms, legs and fat were spilling over into my seat. His breathing was heavy and he chowed on Skittles and chocolate the entire show! I was disgusted. And a little peeved that he paid for 1 seat and used 1.5 seats, whereas my $65 ticket got me half a seat and nasty man sitting on top of me.!>:(
Jen

Lets not forget the role that genetics plays. Some of us have very healthy lifestyles and still struggle with weight. I'm so fed up with fighting it.. just wanna say fuck it this is who I am. [:/]

Definitely the exception, not the rule.
cavete terrae.

I have to agree that this is an American problem. Having travelled to most of the Middle East and pretty much all of Central and South America, I am always surprised on how much larger (and I mean fat) the average American is than most other people on the planet. One of the things I noticed is that a good majority of the populace in other countries walks and walks A LOT to and from places. The average diet is also much healthier as most fast food restuarants(McDs, KFC, even pizza) in most of these countries is a high dollar item that most cannot afford on a regular basis if at all.Believe it or not, its actually cheaper to eat healthy than it is to eat fast foods.

The bottom line is that Americans only have themselves to blame for the current epidemic of obesity. I understand genetics play a part for some but the actual percentage that can claim that is very low. An overweight 8 yr old? Come on. Thats the result of bad habits instilled early by(more than likely) overweight parents. Kids don't play outside anymore, instead they sit inside playing video games or on the computer wolfing down crap foods. The same can pretty much be said for the average American adult as well. We not only eat too much, we eat shit foods and lead sedintary lives.....and we wonder why America is becoming obese? Please. Get people off of their fat asses, make them exercise, eat healthy foods and the obesity problem will go away.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

When there is a need to have a truck originally designed to transport killer whales to take a man from his home to the hospital, you know there is a problem.
It was on The Learning Channel. Scary.

Not to mention the possibility of a seriously ill killer whale who might not have gotten medical attention on time due to lack of transportation.:D

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

You would be surpised how much fat person you can stuff into a normal stretcher. As long as you are under the weight limit squeeze them in. It is funny we linve in a society where it is acceptable to publically berate a smoker, but you can't berate obese people yet. I should be able to, because it is going to be me picking up their fat asses when they do collaps. So before you ask if it will affect me yes it will.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

but when I was 175lbs (at 6'0") tall I had to order pants now and again b/c none in the lengh I neede would have a waist small enough for me.

OUCH..that comment hits close to home for me!! Try being 6'2" and 160!!!

Me: "Old Navy thinks I'm a freak!"
Other shopper: Huh?
Me: "They say that they don't make people my size!"

Hmmmnn...... wear 30-32's and look like I'm waiting for the next flood........OR
wear 32-34's and have my ass hanging out of my jeans......well as much as my ass can hang out!!:D

Get people off of their fat asses, make them exercise, eat healthy foods.....

amen

You would be surpised how much fat person you can stuff into a normal stretcher. As long as you are under the weight limit squeeze them in. It is funny we linve in a society where it is acceptable to publically berate a smoker, but you can't berate obese people yet. I should be able to, because it is going to be me picking up their fat asses when they do collaps. So before you ask if it will affect me yes it will.

You know what? It affects me too in my professional life. But I CHOSE my line of work, and to be an asset to the people I serve and to do my job well, I try my best to do it without being so judgmental about the people whose health they place in my care. Now, my colleagues....I'll go toe-to-toe with them when I think it's necessary or in the interest of the patients we serve.

There are definitely people in the healthcare professions who get off on flaunting their superiority to their patients. See it all the time. They're a detriment to the health professions...a waste of energy, imho. I hope you're not one of them.

Assholes affect me too....even more than fat people.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Perhaps the law should be changed so that all the checkouts at McDonalds etc, should be forced to have one of those "travalators", like they have in the TV show Gladiators, that way people would be forced to jog on the spot whilst they order their McTripleBypass Burger!
One day, I'm gonna grow wings, a chemical reaction, hysterical and useless...

but when I was 175lbs (at 6'0") tall I had to order pants now and again b/c none in the lengh I neede would have a waist small enough for me.

OUCH..that comment hits close to home for me!! Try being 6'2" and 160!!!

Me: "Old Navy thinks I'm a freak!"
Other shopper: Huh?
Me: "They say that they don't make people my size!"

Hmmmnn...... wear 30-32's and look like I'm waiting for the next flood........OR
wear 32-34's and have my ass hanging out of my jeans......well as much as my ass can hang out!!:D

Get people off of their fat asses, make them exercise, eat healthy foods.....

amen

Is that a personal attack..You know i am sensirive
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I have to agree that this is an American problem. Having travelled to most of the Middle East and pretty much all of Central and South America, I am always surprised on how much larger (and I mean fat) the average American is than most other people on the planet.

I have also noticed WITHIN America, there are certain areas which seem to have a much greater percentage of fat people.

I seem to notice in areas populated by people in the Boston & Washington DC areas (also surrounding suburbs) seem to be more fit generally than when I see people out in more rural areas.

There's this one festival my family goes to every Labor Day, and it is out in rural Pennsylvania. There seems to be a much higher fat person % than we are used to in & around the Boston or DC areas.

Probably if you live out in small-town areas you have to drive anytime you want to get anywhere, whereas in a city you can walk more.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

[

Assholes affect me too....even more than fat people.

But your tax $s are not use to pay for assholes like they are for fat fucks so they can get threw the door of the local hospital

Well, my tax dollars do pay for some assholes. They also pay for people who smoke too much, people who drink too much, people who drink and drive, people who chose their parents badly, people who have made some bad choices, and some people who just have bad dumb luck.

If you work in the healthcare professions, you're not gonna be worth your salt if you sit in judgment of those who you're charged with helping.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I seem to notice in areas populated by people in the Boston & Washington DC areas (also surrounding suburbs) seem to be more fit generally than when I see people out in more rural areas

Some of that is probably effective mass transit. People walk to and from subway and bus stops in many cities. I noticed the same thing in NYC.

Here you drive to everything.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I agree that there is a problem, but what can we do to help solve it?
You can't help anyone who won't will help themselves...which in the case of the individual, he/she has a choice to start eating healthier and exercising. No one can make him/her do that; it's their choice.

However, I would like to think there is something we can ALL do to promote healthier lifestyles. I don't believe carrying excess fat is healthy at all, but I do have compassion for those who are overweight.

It's definitely one of the hardest things to do, IMO--> train your body to desire different foods and more physical activity. I know what a discouraging, defeating process it can be for some to lose weight.

I suggest we encourage others and support them in attaining a healthier lifestyle, instead of stereotyping "fat people" and laughing at them, while doing nothing to help remedy the situation.

Just my two cents.:|

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

I'm hoping everyone gets bigger so they have to make the seats larger on airlines. I stay the same skinny weight, and suddenly coach feels like first class.

Hoisting fat into the air costs money. If you are skinny, you are subsidizing the fat bastards. I'd make them pay for 2 seats.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I suggest we encourage others and support them in attaining a healthier lifestyle, instead of stereotyping "fat people" and laughing at them, while doing nothing to help remedy the situation.

That's an excellent point, Sarah. I absolutely agree.

That's an excellent point, Sarah. I absolutely agree.

There's a very large woman who goes to my gym. She gets up on the elliptical machine and huffs and puffs along with the fitter people next to her for 40 minutes.

It's all I can do not to go up and high-five her. It takes a lot of courage to get out there when you're not already in half-way decent shape.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

I don't think the ones who are fighting the weight problem, or "come in all shapes and sizes" are the problem here. Of course there are people with different body types and weight issues who try very hard to fight it and we should all be compasionate to them, becuase it is a hard thing to deal with. The problem comes from the people who say "Fuck it, I am going to eat whatever I want and get as heavy as I want and the rest of the world can just deal with it cuz it is my right," who are the root of the problem. It is the parents who let their children be lazy and eat junk and choose not to promote a healthy lifestyle. It is the ones who go on disability because they have let themselves go to a point of not being able to work. It is the ones who need an electric cart to shop at Wal-Mart. It is the ones who take up handicap spaces in the parking lot because they get a doctor to give them the permit because they are plain fat and lazy. It isthe ones who have to be lifted by 3 or 4 people to have their ass wiped because they have become bed-ridden. It is the guy next to you on the plane who smells and makes you push uncomfortably into the far part of your seat because he wants to consume 6000 calories a day and not bathe.

The issue is with the ones who just don't care and have no problem with them being morbidly obese costing people money or inconveniences because they have let themselves go, out of sheer laziness, to a point of needing larger everything, which the rest of society has to foot the bill for.

I understand that there are many more issues in society of similar effects. This post is just about an article I read about obesity in America and how it is effecting everyone. If people want to post about smoking, drinking, crime, whatever... feel free.