gowlerk

Convert tandem rig for large students?

I'm considering converting a Vector V2 tandem rig to use for larger students that are too heavy for regular gear. I'm talking about big guys up to but not over 300 lbs. Not obese people. It would probably get used for IAD jumps. I'd remove the drouge system, install a smaller BOC, and figure out an appropriate p/c size to use.

I know there are other solutions, but I would not get enough use out of a new dedicated rig to justify the cost. I have a couple V2 tandems I'm ready to retire though.

Has anyone done this? And more importantly, is there anyone who has already figured out that this is a bad idea?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I'm 6 ft 4" 265 270 lb got a talon 1 from 1988 with a 2004 raven 3 249 sq ft reserve and a Safire 230 zp main. Love it comfortable Rig the Safire is small and soft fitting had a 288 manta in it tight
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

I'm 6 ft 4" 265 270 lb got a talon 1 from 1988 with a 2004 raven 3 249 sq ft reserve and a Safire 230 zp main. Love it comfortable Rig the Safire is small and soft fitting had a 288 manta in it tight

That's fine for you to use. But it would not be good for a 290 lb first jump student. The TSO rating on a Raven 3 is only 254 lbs......., and the Talon harness is the same. I'm trying to keep the wing loading much lower than yours.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

>I'm considering converting a Vector V2 tandem rig to use for larger students.

Years ago at Elsinore we had a guy named Aubrey who jumped a tandem rig. He was big and heavy but relatively fit and purchased it as his personal rig. Seemed to work out great for him. Made lots of jumps, in fact the last time I saw him was in some publication (probably Parachutist) jumping his rig with some smaller jumper on his back.

He was a good guy and seem to ignore all the negative comments and cautionary tales and just did what was right for him. It seemed to work out fine. I'm sure you can find some old posts here about/from him.

Good luck.

HI Gowlerk,

I did the same thing with an old Vector a few years back for a Student but I converted it to a Static line. the guy was about 6'7 just over 300 lbs. he was extremely well build and very fit. he used to run marathons for fun. his problem was the harness size, he would not fit into any student harness we had on the DZ. I had an old vector so I took of the Drogue and attached a Static line to the Deployment bag with a 6" Teflon coated Pin(as in Cutaway Cable) I also took out the secondary toggles of the main and put the extra steering line on the main toggles. since the guy was immensely strong he had no problem with that.
the guy did about 8-10 jumps on it and had a great time with no problems.
he then got a new Girlfriend and that was the last time I saw him:S:S:S

Irish

gowlerk

I'm considering converting a Vector V2 tandem rig to use for larger students that are too heavy for regular gear. I'm talking about big guys up to but not over 300 lbs. Not obese people. It would probably get used for IAD jumps. I'd remove the drouge system, install a smaller BOC, and figure out an appropriate p/c size to use.

Any thoughts on deployment speed for a big dude? I have a beefcake friend who tore the stitching on his MLW. He probably should have been jumping a tandem rig and actually USED the drogue to slow down before main deployment. I'm pretty sure he opted to just get out of skydiving instead of buying a new rig. He was built like a lineman, was a power lifter.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'm actually more concerned with the possibility of long slow openings. Most likely it would get used for IAD FJC students. Most of those never get to freefall. But in any case, a tandem harness is built to withstand tandem terminal openings at 500 lbs. Tandem canopies open very slowly whenever I have jumped one solo, but that was with the drouge out. I suppose that a 300 lb man would have a higher terminal velocity than that though. Still, that slider is huge......

I have had a handful of "large" students. Some bought their own gear. At least in Texas, we have a regular enough crowd of greater than 210 lb students that a large rig could have some use.

A handful of the modern rig/canopy manufacturers make gear that is rated to >254lbs. Maybe buying one of those rigs with a large appropriately rated reserve and it could still have use on the the "just large" crowd.. Probably 25% of our AFF students start out on our 270 as it is..

The 300ish square foot canopies are quite forgiving even at 1-1 wing loadings...

............. A handful of the modern rig/canopy manufacturers make gear that is rated to >254lbs. Maybe buying one of those rigs with a large appropriately rated reserve and it could still have use on the the "just large" crowd.. ................

254 pounds suspended weight is the norm for reserve parachutes certified since the mid-1980s. Federal Aviation Administration, Technical Standard Order C23D requires test drops to prove that a parachute will survive hard openings at a minimum suspended weight of 254 pounds, but allows manufacturers to certify parachutes with heavier weights and faster airspeeds (tandems and military freefall).
Your "larger" students require parachutes certified for more than 254 pounds at 150 knots.