warpedskydiver

Kerry: Opposing Iraq War Is Patriotic

Kerry: Opposing Iraq War Is Patriotic
By MARK PRATT, Associated Press Writer
Sat Apr 22, 5:01 PM

BOSTON - Those who disagree with the Bush administration's policies in Iraq face the same scornful charges that they are unpatriotic as Sen. John Kerry did 35 years ago when he spoke out against the Vietnam War, the Massachusetts Democrat said Saturday.

"I have come here today to reaffirm that it was right to dissent in 1971 from a war that was wrong. And to affirm that it is both a right and an obligation for Americans today to disagree with a president who is wrong, a policy that is wrong, and a war in Iraq that weakens the nation," Kerry said to a standing ovation Saturday at Boston's historic Faneuil Hall.

Kerry's speech came 35 years to the day after he testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to call for an end to the Vietnam war.

"How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?" Kerry said in 1971, a line that helped propel the decorated Navy combat veteran and Yale graduate onto the national stage.

The same question applies today as Americans wrestle with the mounting death toll in Iraq, Kerry said, speaking before about 500 supporters who punctuated his speech at least 20 times with ovations.

"Lives have been lost to bad decisions," Kerry said. "Not decisions that could have gone either way, but decisions that constitute basic negligence and incompetence. And lives continue to be lost because of stubbornness and pride."

Kerry also blasted those who question the motivation of retired generals who have recently called for the resignation of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

"That is cheap and shameful," he said. "How dare those who never wore the uniform in battle attack those who wore it all their lives."

A few scattered chants of "run" and "2008" were heard both before and after the speech. Kerry, the 2004 Democratic nominee for president, has not announced whether he would run in 2008.

In response to Kerry's speech Saturday, a spokeswoman for the Republican National Committee denied the party questioned anyone's patriotism.

"While we have never questioned Democrats' patriotism, we do question John Kerry's motives, considering his eagerness to engage in political theatrics as he ponders a presidential run," Tracey Schmitt said.

Kerry reiterated his position that American troops should be withdrawn by the end of the year, saying that Iraqi politicians only respond to deadlines.

Kerry said while Iraq is different from Vietnam, there are some critical parallels.

"We are in the same place as we were when I came home from Vietnam and spoke out against the civilian leaders who were willing to sacrifice America's best in the interest of political self-preservation," he said.

Since 1971 John Kerry has not only become a bigger asshole, but now he believes he is right even when he is wrong, and it gets pointed out to him.:S

He seems a bit hypocritical.

He blasts people for saying that people who disagree with the war are not patriots (I agree with him here, as the first amendment seems to really define what being an american and a patriot is all about).

Then, he turns around and blasts people who disagree with the generals, asking "how dare they question..."
(don't agree with him here...the first amendment doesn't only apply to people who agree with people who Kerry agrees with).

People often forget that in order for us to be free to speak our minds, we have to be able to allow those who disagree with us to be able to speak theirs.

He seems a bit hypocritical.

He blasts people for saying that people who disagree with the war are not patriots (I agree with him here, as the first amendment seems to really define what being an american and a patriot is all about).

Then, he turns around and blasts people who disagree with the generals, asking "how dare they question..."
(don't agree with him here...the first amendment doesn't only apply to people who agree with people who Kerry agrees with).

That's not really a fair presentation of the article. What he's criticizing is people who question the motives of the dissenting generals. That's a completely different thing from objecting to someone's view on the war. Kerry knows from first hand experience how those in the military can have their reputations attacked, often at the hands of those with no military experience themselves, and that's all he's saying here.

He's doing the exact same thing the opposing side is doing.

Bush supporters to Bush criticizers who question his motives for war: "Don't criticize Bush! You've never been in the military and you don't know what you're talking about. You don't have the right to an opinion if you haven't served."

Anti-war folks to people who question the generals' motives for being against the war/Bush: "Don't criticize the generals! You haven't been on the front lines and shouldn't criticize the opinions of people who've been there and wore the uniform their whole lives!"

Same thing. If you want to criticize the idea, criticize the idea. Attack the evidence; there's plenty of it. Don't criticize the person promoting the idea because whether or not someone's served in the military does not preclude their ability to have a valid, informed opinion. On either side.

To question the motivation of the generals is fair. No need to have military experience. Since when has someone's motives been off limits?

Bush's motives are questioned quite often. In fact it goes beyond questioning, his critics claim quite confidently to know exactly what his motives are, as if they can read his mind. These critics feel no need to hold their tongue because of no relevant experience.

Kerry made bold claims before congress and during interviews that he knew at the time to not be true.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

He's doing the exact same thing the opposing side is doing.

Anti-war folks to people who question the generals' motives for being against the war/Bush: "Don't criticize the generals! You haven't been on the front lines and shouldn't criticize the opinions of people who've been there and wore the uniform their whole lives!"

Same thing. If you want to criticize the idea, criticize the idea.

And that's exactly what I'm saying, criticize the idea, don't presume that you understand the motivations behind the it. There is a distinction.

People often forget that in order for us to be free to speak our minds, we have to be able to allow those who disagree with us to be able to speak theirs.

That is SO 2 centuries ago. Get with the program :P

The current fad is be outraged and in-your-face and rude about your personal ideas and then shout down/stifle everyone who disagrees with you.

oh - and also, free speech seems much less about the free exchange of thoughts and ideas now, it's more of a loudmouthed form of juvenile rebellion with no real concern about convincing others to join your position. But at least it's a selfrighteous form of release. that's worth something.

Maybe I should have that put on a t-shirt. Or just piss in a cup and say that "pissing in a cup represents my outrage".

Everybody's doing it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

criticize the idea, don't presume that you understand the motivations behind the it. There is a distinction.

I don't presume to know their motivations, but surely reserve the right to question them... Batise was a political manuverer from the first days I served under his command... Zinni owns at least part of the policies that lead to our current situation, not just in Iraq, but in the broader troubles in Southwest Asia... Do I know their motivation, no. Do I take what they have to say with a grain (pound) of salt, absolutley.

J