Patrickvp

Fun to fly low bulk canopy. Pulse vs. Pilot ZPX

Hey everyone!!

I know this question has been asked before and I have gone through pretty much all of them, but I figured maybe there are new opinions on this Topic so why not ask again.

I am a beginner with about 50 jumps and I am now looking into putting my very first own rig together. For reasons of further downsizing I am looking for a 190ish low bulk.

I pretty much got stuck between the Pulse and the Pilot ZPX. Both are very similar in terms of consistence openings, landings and glide ratio...or am I wrong here?
First I wanted the Pulse as it will get you back from an long spot easy, but I think this can also be done rather easy with the Pilot if you know how to fly it. Or??

I would like to have a canopy that will not get boring so soon. I want to have fun for the next 100-150 jumps on it and be able to start flying more aggressively once I am skilled enough to do so.

I already jumped an "old" Pilot in the Student rig and I liked it. Ok, the openings were all off heading which was annoying, but I guess that was more due to my body position and the age of the system.
Does the ZPX fly the same as the regular Pilot???

I can't demo the Pulse as I live in Germany where getting a demo is hard and coz I am away most of the year due to my job.

So I would need some good advice here as I will buy them "blind".

Thanks for your help guys!!!!

Patrick

Patrickvp

Hey everyone!!
I can't demo the Pulse as I live in Germany where getting a demo is hard and coz I am away most of the year due to my job.
Patrick

Send an email to hans at performancedesigns dot com and see what he can do for you. He will visit some DZs in Germany this summer. If you plan on visiting some Dutch DZs, I might be able to help as well.

Take care
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

After getting my license, I jumped a Pulse 170 for about 250 jumps and really liked it (WL1.2). Once I borrowed a Pilot 168ZPX from a friend but, at least at my experience level, there was no real difference in flying and landing to my Pulse.

Bjoern

adamUK

Always worth checking the rated all-up weight on the Electra. I believe PdF rated their canopies quite low so one to look out for if you're looking at loading it up.

I am loading the 190 with 1.05 so nothing really to worry about...but I am quite fixed on the Pilot or Pulse as both have a very good resell price

elmo2k3

After getting my license, I jumped a Pulse 170 for about 250 jumps and really liked it (WL1.2). Once I borrowed a Pilot 168ZPX from a friend but, at least at my experience level, there was no real difference in flying and landing to my Pulse.

Bjoern

Thanks for you opinion! You didn't feel, like most opinions go, that the Pulse has less flair but therefore a flatter glide ratio? But if you say that you didn't feel much difference at WL1.2, I guess it will be even less of a difference for me at WL 1.05

I was recently in your situation. I first started out with a Pulse 210 and jumped that for just over 200 jumps. I then downsized to a Pilot 188 ZPX. I am only loading it at 1.3 and have loved the Pilot. I never really had issues with off heading openings on the pulse, but the pilot seems to be even better for me. The openings were both similar, but the difference is in the flare. The pulse seemed to have a weaker flare, but after a canopy course I learned proper technique to be able to flare the canopy just fine. The Pilot however was a noticeable difference in the power of the flare to me.

I have flown both canopies at the same size (190) and after demo'ing I chose the Pilot. Both were very good to me, but I will probably buy another pilot when I am ready to downsize again after a few hundred more jumps. I liked having the extra power in the flare. Just my opinion.

Good luck

I flew both canopies extensively when I was renting gear after getting my A. I found that both canopies can get you back from a long spot just fine, especially once you learn how to effectively use brakes and rear risers based on the wind direction up there (thanks Flight-1). The Pilot had a bit better flare, in my experience, and was more responsive to toggle input (which made it feel more fun to fly), while the Pulse seemed a bit more responsive to rear riser input (and had a slightly longer rear riser control range). This meant when I flew the Pulse I ended up doing most of my steering above pattern height with the rears to get the response I wanted; and with the Pilot I spent most of my time using toggles. The Pilot also had a bit less of a snivel for me, while the Pulse seemed to snivel forever, and I prefer having a slightly faster opening. Ultimately I chose to buy a ZPX Pilot and put over 350 jumps on it before my next downsize took me to a new manufacturer. But if I were back in the same position of choice, I'd still go with the Pilot over the Pulse.

Patrickvp

***After getting my license, I jumped a Pulse 170 for about 250 jumps and really liked it (WL1.2). Once I borrowed a Pilot 168ZPX from a friend but, at least at my experience level, there was no real difference in flying and landing to my Pulse.

Bjoern

Thanks for you opinion! You didn't feel, like most opinions go, that the Pulse has less flair but therefore a flatter glide ratio? But if you say that you didn't feel much difference at WL1.2, I guess it will be even less of a difference for me at WL 1.05

The Pulse has two different versions of line trim. V1 has a longer glide at the cost of some flare. V2 doesn't glide as far but has more flare.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Thanks to everyone for their great input here. I good some very good opinions even a few in the inbox...awesome!!

In the end I decided to place an order for the Pilot and I am positive that I will be happy with it for the next few 100 jumps. :)

After reading lots and lots of other threads on this topic, I was already 60/50 for the Pilot. Mainly due to the overall opinion that the Pilot is just a little more responsive and has better flare (I know the Pulse has

different line trims...but if I get a new canopy, I don't wont to worry about getting different Lines).

Thanks to everyone again.

Blue skies,
Patrick