aonsquared

AO(N²) Brilliant Pebbles audible

aonsquared

DonScott, the adapter is necessary. The shape of the audible is quite different from the L&B audibles. We've published the 3D files for free if you want to 3D print it yourself :)

Please be more specific. Is your unit too big for the pocket?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

mxk

In other words, they detect canopy deployment and then increase the threshold for the high-speed alarms from 30 mph to 78 mph (most common AAD firing threshold).

Detecting canopy deployment from freefall is likely easy to program, but even L&B's algorithm is unreliable for hop & pops. My viso 2 logs about half my jumps, and my audible regularly goes off during front-riser landing (since I'm exceeding 13m/s on fronts easily). Granted, my opening altitude is at most 10m below the airplane, and my canopy doesn't do that new thing called "snivelling", but still...

Just got my Brilliant Pebbles. So easy to setup! If it alerts me at the proper altitudes then it is just brilliant.
My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.

Finally got a chance to jump my Brilliant Pebbles and it worked like a champ. Showed it to some other jumpers at the DZ and they were blown away by it. Awesome product!
My goal is that when all is said done I will have a big pile of well used gear and a collection of great stories.

aonsquared

We've now started testing new features - canopy speed detection!

We've also released a new version of the app which can update the device firmware, so when we've finished testing these new features it will be an automatic notification of the update.:)

Any way you'd be willing to open source the code and/or allow guest developers?

There's a few of us here that know how to write some code and are interested in contributing to such a project...

Right, sell it to me. I've already got a Pro-track and an Optima 2... why do I need one of these?

I *want* to buy one, as who doesn't want a new toy?! The price point is excellent, but I don't think I really *need* one. Unless you can convince me otherwise. I am open to being convinced, I just don't want to end up with something I won't use over what I've already got.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

aonsquared

BigL, you use it like an AAD - you turn it on at the start of the jumping day and it will automatically turn off after 16 hours. No need to do anything else except plug it in to change altitudes or charge the battery.

Some feedback: having to turn it on manually is a significant disadvantage for me. I was considering getting one for my second helmet, but if I have to remember turn it on I might as well move the one that I have between helmets.

degeneration

Right, sell it to me. I've already got a Pro-track and an Optima 2... why do I need one of these?

I *want* to buy one, as who doesn't want a new toy?! The price point is excellent, but I don't think I really *need* one. Unless you can convince me otherwise. I am open to being convinced, I just don't want to end up with something I won't use over what I've already got.

How about supporting British industry and innovation and helping fund future developments?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

hardhatpat

You have to turn the viso on...

What does that have to do with this discussion? For a wrist mounted visual altimeter (which we are not discussing) I don't really care because a) I'm less likely to forget to turn it on, b) I will notice it is not working when I look at it, and c) I can turn it on in freefall and/or under canopy.

I do have an audible (Quattro) which doesn't need to be turned on manually and I consider this an advantage. I simply provide this as feedback to the manufacturers.

bgrozev

For a wrist mounted visual altimeter... I can turn it on in freefall and/or under canopy.

No you can't. It needs to measure the pressure at the ground in order to calculate your altitude.

bgrozev

I do have an audible (Quattro) which doesn't need to be turned on manually

It does if you don't want to waste batteries. From the manual:

NOTE: To save battery power, the screen display will switch OFF after 14 hours. However, the unit is still ready to jump.

You should be turning your Quattro off at the end of the day and turning it back on before jumping. You're risking it being in jump mode with an incorrect reference pressure (if a front comes through during the night, for example) or being completely dead because the battery ran out. It's a good habit to turn all your digital gear on at the start of the day, check battery status, and let it calibrate for the current atmospheric conditions.

mxk

***For a wrist mounted visual altimeter... I can turn it on in freefall and/or under canopy.

No you can't. It needs to measure the pressure at the ground in order to calculate your altitude.

Absolutely. Completely wrong arm-chair reasoning on my end. Thank you for pointing it out.

bgrozev

I do have an audible (Quattro) which doesn't need to be turned on manually

It does if you don't want to waste batteries. From the manual:

***NOTE: To save battery power, the screen display will switch OFF after 14 hours. However, the unit is still ready to jump.

You should be turning your Quattro off at the end of the day and turning it back on before jumping. You're risking it being in jump mode with an incorrect reference pressure (if a front comes through during the night, for example) or being completely dead because the battery ran out. It's a good habit to turn all your digital gear on at the start of the day, check battery status, and let it calibrate for the current atmospheric conditions.

That's also a good point. Thank you.

Apologies everyone for drifting the topic. At least I did get some education out of it.

I don't turn off my Optima, and get over a year for battery life. I also never turn off my Neptune II, same battery life.

You get the confirmation that it has correctly identified ground level as you pass through 1000 feet. Both my visual and audible have always been right in sync with others.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

cpoxon

***Right, sell it to me. I've already got a Pro-track and an Optima 2... why do I need one of these?

How about supporting British industry and innovation and helping fund future developments?

Sorry, but I want to be sold it as a product not as a feel good pat on the back.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

degeneration

******Right, sell it to me. I've already got a Pro-track and an Optima 2... why do I need one of these?

Sorry, but I want to be sold it as a product not as a feel good pat on the back.

You said you didn't need one so how can you be sold on one? The information is in this thread already. I'm only repeating it when I say smallest, cheapest audible on the market. Innovative with the app and future developments. Sorry if supporting a young local doesn't tip you over the edge. :S

cpoxon

*********Right, sell it to me. I've already got a Pro-track and an Optima 2... why do I need one of these?

You said you didn't need one so how can you be sold on one? The information is in this thread already. I'm only repeating it when I say smallest, cheapest audible on the market. Innovative with the app and future developments. Sorry if supporting a young local doesn't tip you over the edge. :S

Sorry, maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been in my original statement. I said I don't think I need one. Maybe there's something I'm not realising/appreciating on the capabilities of this.

I don't need one as I already have devices that do what I want, but I wanted to know what makes this a better option to have than an Optima, as if I could be reasonably convinced on that one, I'd happily replace the optima. Also, maybe this has features that an Optima doesn't have, which could make this the better device to have?

I was really just looking for real-life usage reasons as to why my kit would be better for having one of these.

degeneration

Sorry, maybe I wasn't as clear as I could have been in my original statement. I said I don't think I need one. Maybe there's something I'm not realising/appreciating on the capabilities of this.

I don't need one as I already have devices that do what I want, but I wanted to know what makes this a better option to have than an Optima, as if I could be reasonably convinced on that one, I'd happily replace the optima. Also, maybe this has features that an Optima doesn't have, which could make this the better device to have?

I was really just looking for real-life usage reasons as to why my kit would be better for having one of these.

I think comparing an Optima and a Brilliant Pebble is slightly unfair. The price points are completely different for a start and the Optima has a display (replaced with an app for the Pebble). But here's one for you; the Optima has 3 selectable warning altitudes whereas the Pebble has 20. Whether that's a game changer for you or not, I don't know. I do know that L&B came out with the Quattro which has 4 selectable altitudes so they felt there was a need in the market. 20 might be overkill, but I'm reminded of my blind skydiving friend Dan "Flare When You Hear The Crickets" Rossi who had a special TimeOut!!! audible made by the Cool & Groovy Fridge company that beeped every 1,000 feet. This functionality can be reproduced with the Pebble as standard. A fairly edge case but maybe a bigway (record) organiser would like a count down of the altitude. Perhaps you'd like 3 or 4 freefall alarms and then the same number of alarms under canopy to help you stage your landing? I know you have an Optima, but the next comparable unit is a Neptune which has 3 freefall and 3 canopy alarms.

It's already been said, but size; the Pebble is smaller than the Optima overall (although I think the Optima is thinner).

But most of all, I think it's biggest feature, and one of the main features to me, is the potential, but that would appear to be a bit too intangible for you. The potential to develop the functionality of the audible by firmware and app updates and the potential of young Arthur to get a bit more capital to develop this and other interesting products. He kept the initial release basic to ensure a stable product. You can wait a while for him to develop features you need if you like, but I for one am supporting him so he has the resources to do so.