2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

Recommended Posts

Dr Martin Rees of Cambridge University released a book around 2001 titled, Our Final Century. He meant THIS century. The book discusses why he believes mankind has no better than a fifty-fifty chance of avoiding what he calls a 'major extinction event' before the year 2100. 

He said anthropomorphic climate change wouldn't wipe us all out, but it would cause mass migration, local wars, and famine worldwide. 

He actually listed the possibility of nuclear war as much farther down the list of dangers, saying that most nuclear weapons were well-controlled, and except for some smaller local event, probably wasn't that big of a worldwide risk to everyone. 

He said that within 10-20 years, the biggest daily challenge for more than half the people on Planet Earth would be the daily acquisition of enough clean, fresh water to survive. Although that is not really a problem in most western countries, it IS a problem for people in many other places. Lifestraw and other organizations have been trying to help with this problem, but as of 2020 for about 1 in 9 people worldwide it is a daily struggle. Close to 3 billion people, or about 35% of the world's population, also have no access to a regular sanitation (toilet) system. 

Dr Rees lists pandemics as one of the biggest risks when trying to avoid an extinction event. He thought at the time there would be more of them, and that if one came along where the virus was airborne, it could kill tens of millions of people, perhaps even a few billion depending on the severity of the virus and how easily it could be spread. 

On a scale of risks, Rees leans toward famine as a real killer though. And that it would be brought on by climate change, and accelerated by overpopulation. He doesn't think there is much way to avoid it at this point. Remember that these predictions were made about twenty years ago. 

Climate change deniers basically ignore the facts. Satellite pictures since 1993 show that both the southern and northern ice packs are melting. Ice melt in Greenland is moving along nicely as well, thank you. As the ice reveals more ocean, the darker color of the sea water absorbs more solar energy, which increases the rate of melt. About the only thing scientists and climatologists missed on was the rate. They thought melt would take longer than it has, but many did not take into account the added effect of revealing sea water or land, and these items absorbing MORE energy...accelerating the whole process. Larger, more dynamic weather events are definitely on the upswing, and that means typhoons in the Pacific, hurricanes, flooding events, and plain old storms. All that solar energy has to go somewhere, and what it does is heat the air and oceans, causing more 'dynamic' weather. As it stands now, the best we can hope for...since mankind has been unable to work with the warnings we were getting clear back in the late 1980s...is a worldwide average increase of 2 degrees Celsius before 2100. And the reality is that it could go as high as 8 Celsius. Doesn't sound like much, but this would be catastrophic. A great deal of Earth would become absolutely unlivable to humans, with some places reaching temps of over 135 degrees Fahrenheit in summer. 

Sometimes I think back to one of the first organizations who blew on whistle on global warming. Back in the 1980's, National Geographic Magazine started sounding the alarm. Many people canceled their subscriptions. I wouldn't be surprised if these same people have started taking the magazine again. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

He said anthropomorphic climate change wouldn't wipe us all out, but it would cause mass migration, local wars, and famine worldwide. 

I think some on the left are exaggerating a bit if they think it's a threat to all life on earth. The earth has been hotter in the past, and life will go on. It might be jellyfish and roaches instead of fish and mammals, but some sort of biological life will survive. Maybe even some humans will hang on by eating those jellyfish.

But our complex civilisation, with very expensive cities built near coasts, depending on food and water sources competed for between nuclear-armed countries, we're going to be in for a hammering.

I don't know about brenthutch but I kind of like my current lifestyle. I like driving around so it will be with an electric car instead of gas, I'll vote for more green energy so I don't have to move my expensive house to higher ground, and will eat less dairy and meat (big CO2 footprint) so I can enjoy a steak every now and then instead of having to fight other humans for a scrap of jellyfish from the overfished oceans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, olofscience said:

I think some on the left are exaggerating a bit if they think it's a threat to all life on earth...

...depending on food and water sources competed for between nuclear-armed countries, we're going to be in for a hammering.

 

That's exactly why it's a threat to all life on earth.

India & China are already 'getting frisky'.

What would happen if a billion Indians decided it was too hot to survive and moved northeast... 
Into China? 

Or north into Pakistan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

That's exactly why it's a threat to all life on earth.

Even with an all-out nuclear war, plenty of bacteria, algae, nematodes, possibly roaches will survive. Maybe not much else. Then over millions of years something else will evolve.

But if roaches are brenthutch's favourite animal then he probably won't mind. I kind of do, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, olofscience said:

I think some on the left are exaggerating a bit if they think it's a threat to all life on earth. The earth has been hotter in the past, and life will go on. It might be jellyfish and roaches instead of fish and mammals, but some sort of biological life will survive. Maybe even some humans will hang on by eating those jellyfish.

But our complex civilisation, with very expensive cities built near coasts, depending on food and water sources competed for between nuclear-armed countries, we're going to be in for a hammering.

I don't know about brenthutch but I kind of like my current lifestyle. I like driving around so it will be with an electric car instead of gas, I'll vote for more green energy so I don't have to move my expensive house to higher ground, and will eat less dairy and meat (big CO2 footprint) so I can enjoy a steak every now and then instead of having to fight other humans for a scrap of jellyfish from the overfished oceans.

Completely agree. Well off countries will always adapt. The US has a warming Canada to supply food. People with education together with political borders or physical barriers can keep the starving at bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

That's exactly why it's a threat to all life on earth.

India & China are already 'getting frisky'.

What would happen if a billion Indians decided it was too hot to survive and moved northeast... 
Into China? 

Or north into Pakistan?

Or south into Florida, Arizona and Texas (Like they are already doing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Dr Martin Rees of Cambridge University released a book around 2001 titled, Our Final Century. He meant THIS century. The book discusses why he believes mankind has no better than a fifty-fifty chance of avoiding what he calls a 'major extinction event' before the year 2100. 

He said anthropomorphic climate change wouldn't wipe us all out, but it would cause mass migration, local wars, and famine worldwide. 

He actually listed the possibility of nuclear war as much farther down the list of dangers, saying that most nuclear weapons were well-controlled, and except for some smaller local event, probably wasn't that big of a worldwide risk to everyone. 

He said that within 10-20 years, the biggest daily challenge for more than half the people on Planet Earth would be the daily acquisition of enough clean, fresh water to survive. Although that is not really a problem in most western countries, it IS a problem for people in many other places. Lifestraw and other organizations have been trying to help with this problem, but as of 2020 for about 1 in 9 people worldwide it is a daily struggle. Close to 3 billion people, or about 35% of the world's population, also have no access to a regular sanitation (toilet) system. 

Dr Rees lists pandemics as one of the biggest risks when trying to avoid an extinction event. He thought at the time there would be more of them, and that if one came along where the virus was airborne, it could kill tens of millions of people, perhaps even a few billion depending on the severity of the virus and how easily it could be spread. 

On a scale of risks, Rees leans toward famine as a real killer though. And that it would be brought on by climate change, and accelerated by overpopulation. He doesn't think there is much way to avoid it at this point. Remember that these predictions were made about twenty years ago. 

Climate change deniers basically ignore the facts. Satellite pictures since 1993 show that both the southern and northern ice packs are melting. Ice melt in Greenland is moving along nicely as well, thank you. As the ice reveals more ocean, the darker color of the sea water absorbs more solar energy, which increases the rate of melt. About the only thing scientists and climatologists missed on was the rate. They thought melt would take longer than it has, but many did not take into account the added effect of revealing sea water or land, and these items absorbing MORE energy...accelerating the whole process. Larger, more dynamic weather events are definitely on the upswing, and that means typhoons in the Pacific, hurricanes, flooding events, and plain old storms. All that solar energy has to go somewhere, and what it does is heat the air and oceans, causing more 'dynamic' weather. As it stands now, the best we can hope for...since mankind has been unable to work with the warnings we were getting clear back in the late 1980s...is a worldwide average increase of 2 degrees Celsius before 2100. And the reality is that it could go as high as 8 Celsius. Doesn't sound like much, but this would be catastrophic. A great deal of Earth would become absolutely unlivable to humans, with some places reaching temps of over 135 degrees Fahrenheit in summer. 

Sometimes I think back to one of the first organizations who blew on whistle on global warming. Back in the 1980's, National Geographic Magazine started sounding the alarm. Many people canceled their subscriptions. I wouldn't be surprised if these same people have started taking the magazine again. 

 

I seem to recall at one of his lectures he displayed the Ouroborus. Fitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 12:21 AM, billvon said:

Scientists are watching the Thwaites glacier more and more closely.  It has already accounted for 4% of the sea level rise throughout the world.  If it lets go completely it could raise world sea levels by 2 feet.  And that will tend to make other glaciers move more quickly as well; as the rising sea lifts them and lets water get under their ice/rock interface, the water will allow the now-floating glacier to accelerate its trip to the sea.

 

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/thwaites-glacier-antarctic-melting-doomsday-climate-a9616966.html

http://climaterealism.com/2020/07/antarctic-doomsday-glacier-is-really-doomsday-for-climate-alarmism/
A fake climate scare making headlines comes from researchers who say West Antarctica’s Thwaites glacier may soon collapse, raising sea levels by 6 feet or more over the next century. Alarmists are dubbing this the “Doomsday Glacier.” This is ironically true, as the fake climate scare of the Doomsday Glacier is really a doomsday for climate alarmism.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 5:58 AM, olofscience said:

Even with an all-out nuclear war, plenty of bacteria, algae, nematodes, possibly roaches will survive.

Everything will survive.  In fact if the nuclear war wipes out most of humanity the world will become a lot more diverse and healthy.  Keep in mind that the healthiest area in the Ukraine now is the area around Chernobyl - no people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, billvon said:

Everything will survive.  In fact if the nuclear war wipes out most of humanity the world will become a lot more diverse and healthy.  Keep in mind that the healthiest area in the Ukraine now is the area around Chernobyl - no people.

In fact, this will serve as a good stress test for humanity who will come back stronger and more efficient after this stress has passed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

http://climaterealism.com/2020/07/antarctic-doomsday-glacier-is-really-doomsday-for-climate-alarmism/
A fake climate scare making headlines comes from researchers who say West Antarctica’s Thwaites glacier may soon collapse, raising sea levels by 6 feet or more over the next century. Alarmists are dubbing this the “Doomsday Glacier.” This is ironically true, as the fake climate scare of the Doomsday Glacier is really a doomsday for climate alarmism.”

I like that I can come to dropzone.com and learn about what BH thinks people are alarmists about.  Thanks, never heard of that glacier and after a perusal of valid sources it appears to pose no imminent threat although if it fully melted, which would take a "very long" time it could cause seas to rise anywhere between 3 and 10 feet depending on worldwide oceanic evaporative snowfall over the next century or two.   That was a close one, I almost became alarmist!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DJL said:

I like that I can come to dropzone.com and learn about what BH thinks people are alarmists about.  Thanks, never heard of that glacier and after a perusal of valid sources it appears to pose no imminent threat although if it fully melted, which would take a "very long" time it could cause seas to rise anywhere between 3 and 10 feet depending on worldwide oceanic evaporative snowfall over the next century or two.   That was a close one, I almost became alarmist!

I never heard of either until BillV brought it up.  I guess that would make him an alarmist 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2020 at 1:47 PM, brenthutch said:

June had the fewest tornadoes in 70 years and we are more than 25% through hurricane season and still no hurricanes.  BTW the world is projected to set another record for global food production.  All of this in the middle of a “CLIMATE APOCALYPSE” 
LOL

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/22/894142641/tropical-storm-gonzalo-forms-during-a-very-busy-atlantic-hurricane-season

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DJL said:

I like that I can come to dropzone.com and learn about what BH thinks people are alarmists about.  Thanks, never heard of that glacier and after a perusal of valid sources it appears to pose no imminent threat although if it fully melted, which would take a "very long" time it could cause seas to rise anywhere between 3 and 10 feet depending on worldwide oceanic evaporative snowfall over the next century or two.   That was a close one, I almost became alarmist!

Reading the link Billvon provided, it seems like there's a difference between 'melting' and 'collapsing'.

If it slides down into the water, it will be a big problem. It doesn't have to melt to do that.

A quick search found this:

https://www.wired.com/story/antarctica-thwaites-glacier-breaking-point/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 3:00 PM, brenthutch said:

From your article “No storms this year have reached hurricane strength (sustained winds greater than 74 mph)”

So to recap, very busy hurricane season with exactly ZERO hurricanes.

To those who wait, all good things will come. Follow this for Caribbean Hurricanes: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5  You'll be able to link to all areas.

Hurricane Hanna is now hitting Texas. Gonzalo, at a very low 10° Latitude, is now dissipating but next up is the not yet named Hurricane Isaiah. It ain't meat until it's in the pan.

 

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 9.37.50 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 12:13 PM, wolfriverjoe said:

Reading the link Billvon provided, it seems like there's a difference between 'melting' and 'collapsing'.

If it slides down into the water, it will be a big problem. It doesn't have to melt to do that.

And if we do see such a collapse, all the deniers will say "well, look, there's no way anyone could have predicted that.  Not anyone's fault for not preparing."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/13/2020 at 5:37 AM, brenthutch said:

“Within a decade we can expect regular summer trade there {across the arctic ocean}.” — “Arctic Meltdown“, a NASA press release on 27 February 2001.

I thought I would just check the first one. The link leads to a page indicating press releases aren't located there anymore, but provides a link to the archive.

Guess what, there is no NASA press release from February 27th, 2001 in the archive.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

I thought I would just check the first one. The link leads to a page indicating press releases aren't located there anymore, but provides a link to the archive.

Guess what, there is no NASA press release from February 27th, 2001 in the archive.......

Well, obviously the Deep State got there before you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 12:51 PM, SkyDekker said:

I thought I would just check the first one. The link leads to a page indicating press releases aren't located there anymore, but provides a link to the archive.

Guess what, there is no NASA press release from February 27th, 2001 in the archive.......

 

On 7/28/2020 at 1:12 PM, ryoder said:

Well, obviously the Deep State got there before you.

Pro-trump fake state news agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Pro-trump fake state news agency.

Hi Phil,

Fake State News Agency.

He's going to take some more of the money allocated for increased/better housing for the military to pay for it.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Last nite I watched:  Frontline - "United States of Conspiracy" PBS.

I've never watched an Alex Jones broadcast; but what a total nutter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Phil,

Fake State News Agency.

He's going to take some more of the money allocated for increased/better housing for the military to pay for it.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Last nite I watched:  Frontline - "United States of Conspiracy" PBS.

I've never watched an Alex Jones broadcast; but what a total nutter.

More bad news for the military. Its becoming a lap-dog for conservative ideas. I apologize in advance to service personal but its true.

New Pentagon training refers to protesters, journalists as 'adversaries'. In only four years the leaders of the military have sunk to new lows to pervert their profession. Sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

More bad news for the military. Its becoming a lap-dog for conservative ideas. I apologize in advance to service personal but its true.

New Pentagon training refers to protesters, journalists as 'adversaries'. In only four years the leaders of the military have sunk to new lows to pervert their profession. Sad.

After what they did to Stanley McChrystal, that’s not surprising 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2020 at 11:51 AM, SkyDekker said:

I thought I would just check the first one. The link leads to a page indicating press releases aren't located there anymore, but provides a link to the archive.

Guess what, there is no NASA press release from February 27th, 2001 in the archive.......

Well, that's not important.  What's important is how the fake press release makes you FEEL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2020 at 3:00 PM, brenthutch said:

From your article “No storms this year have reached hurricane strength (sustained winds greater than 74 mph)”

So to recap, very busy hurricane season with exactly ZERO hurricanes.

Hurricane season isn't quite over.

Isaias and more.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

2 2