2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, headoverheels said:

 

Tesla US sales 1st quarter 2020 were up 75% from 2019.  Next closest gainers were Lincoln and Ram, each up less than 3%.  Kia (up 1%) was the only other maker selling more cars in 2020 than in 2019 1st quarter.

Up 75% from not much is still not much.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Up 75% from not much is still not much.  

Tesla outsold Mazda, Audi, Acura, Buick, Cadillac, Land Rover, Infiniti,  Volvo, a bunch of smaller brands (Jag, Porsche, Mitsubishi, etc).  They had 90% of Lexus' sales, 85% of Mazda's sales.  They sold more sedans (all they sold) than Mercedes, BMW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, headoverheels said:

Tesla outsold Mazda, Audi, Acura, Buick, Cadillac, Land Rover, Infiniti,  Volvo, a bunch of smaller brands (Jag, Porsche, Mitsubishi, etc).  They had 90% of Lexus' sales, 85% of Mazda's sales.  They sold more sedans (all they sold) than Mercedes, BMW.

Yet all of their sales combined didn’t equal one brand of pickup truck :`(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Hmm..I recall a blackout a few years back that lasted a couple of days.

I seem to recall that Bill has solar on his house.

I don't know if he has enough to run the house and charge the car, but if it were me, I'd shut down everything to charge the car if the grid power was down. 

You can't pump gas without power either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Sure you can.  Ever seen one of these?  And if Bill has enough solar stored to charge his car good for him.  Most don't.

ATTAH15012RS3060GKIT__59636.1588691407.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

I've seen them. Most of that type of tank that I'm familiar with has an electric pump. That one is gravitiy fed (from what the pic shows), but that would be slow as hell. 

The only people I know who have them are farmers. Everyone else I know (myself included) goes to the gas station. 

I doubt that Bill has enough storage for a car. Very few people who have home solar have any storage. 
My point was that he could use the power produced at the time to charge his car. 
Most home solar arrays wouldn't have enough capability to run the house and charge the car at the same time (as I said).
But if there's no other choice, I'd shut down most everything in the house to let the car get most of the power. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, airdvr said:

Hmm..I recall a blackout a few years back that lasted a couple of days.

Yep.  I have both solar and storage.

Quote

Sure you can.  Ever seen one of these? 

Yes I have.  Now post a picture of the wellhead and the refinery!

Quote

 And if Bill has enough solar stored to charge his car good for him.  Most don't.

You charge during the day.  Cars have a lot of storage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Ok Mr. Pedantic 

BTW the irony of your “nobody is listening to your arguments” comment is not lost on me.

Well my "nobody" is a lot closer to zero than your "nobody" :tongue:

Anyway, more reasons to buy an EV:

  1. (see previous post for 1-8)
  2.  
  3.  
  4.  
  5.  
  6.  
  7.  
  8.  
  9. no loss of power with altitude (see Pikes Peak hill climb record)
  10. ability to run it in unventilated spaces (try running an engine in a closed garage in winter)
  11. better interior (no centre floor column due to gearbox and driveshaft, more space in front trunk)
  12. much better reliability (again, fewer moving parts to fail)
  13. less messy (no engine oil or clutch fluid)

Range and initial cost are legitimate reasons NOT to buy an EV, but operating and maintenance costs are big incentives, big enough that UPS ordered 10,000 electric delivery vans.

Speed is a complete variable - the Bolt may be slower than your Accord, but that has nothing to do with it being electric. You can find combustion powered cars that are MORE expensive and slower than the Accord too. The reason that there's not that much variety in EVs is because...they're NEW.

Advances in battery technology and wide-bandgap semiconductors will continue the slow march and eventually eliminate combustion engines in all but a few niche applications.

I really don't get why you're so anti-EV except that the green lobby likes them, therefore you must hate it? Sure there are some green nutters, but if you're a free thinker you should form your own opinion without thinking of theirs. But clearly you're not an engineer or a manager of a large fleet of vehicles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
2 hours ago, olofscience said:

I really don't get why you're so anti-EV except that the green lobby likes them, therefore you must hate it? Sure there are some green nutters, but if you're a free thinker you should form your own opinion without thinking of theirs. But clearly you're not an engineer or a manager of a large fleet of vehicles.

I am not antiEV per se.  I am fine with a private company like UPS trying out EVs.  

I’m against this

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-electric-buses-20180520-story.html

 

Edited by brenthutch
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I am not antiEV per se.  I am fine with a private company like UPS trying out EVs.  

I’m against this

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-electric-buses-20180520-story.html

Really sounds like you're anti-EV.

The problems in that article is because the manufacturer was low quality. From an engineering perspective, city buses are a really good fit for EVs - especially their stop-start operation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Same manufacturer as the LATimes one, BYD.

So what is it about electric buses that are inherently terrible? I'm an engineer, spare no technical detail. I'll do my best to understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, airdvr said:

Sure you can.  Ever seen one of these?  And if Bill has enough solar stored to charge his car good for him.  Most don't.

ATTAH15012RS3060GKIT__59636.1588691407.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on

How many people own one of these compared to those that have solar panels?

I mean - its not like everyone in the neighborhoods that I have ever seen, ever, have one on their property.

Besides the spill requirement by the EPA, and the space needed.  Local codes would most likely prevent that from being a possibility in any great number.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/PPP/PPP-73.pdf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, olofscience said:

 

13 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Same manufacturer as the LATimes one, BYD.

So what is it about electric buses that are inherently terrible? I'm an engineer, spare no technical detail. I'll do my best to understand.

 

https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201208/backpage.cfm

“Optimism had all but vanished this year at the fifth conference in the scalable-energy-storage series in Berkeley, California. The symposium announcement reads: “Although new electric vehicles with advanced lithium ion batteries are being introduced, further breakthroughs in scalable energy storage, beyond current state-of-the-art lithium ion batteries, are necessary before the full benefits of vehicle electrification can be realized.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
10 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

https://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201208/backpage.cfm

“Optimism had all but vanished this year at the fifth conference in the scalable-energy-storage series in Berkeley, California. The symposium announcement reads: “Although new electric vehicles with advanced lithium ion batteries are being introduced, further breakthroughs in scalable energy storage, beyond current state-of-the-art lithium ion batteries, are necessary before the full benefits of vehicle electrification can be realized.”

If you read the sentence after your quote:

"The mood was cautious, as it is clear that lithium-ion batteries are maturing slowly, and that their limited energy density and high cost will preclude producing all-electric cars to replace the primary American family car in the foreseeable future."

Back to the primary American family car again, and back to range (limited energy density) and cost argument. As I've said, it's not just range and cost that's important to people...am I talking to a wall?

 

EDIT: I just saw the date on that link: September 2012??? The EV landscape between then and now has changed completely.

You're really grasping at straws here.

Edited by olofscience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
10 minutes ago, olofscience said:

If you read the sentence after your quote:

"The mood was cautious, as it is clear that lithium-ion batteries are maturing slowly, and that their limited energy density and high cost will preclude producing all-electric cars to replace the primary American family car in the foreseeable future."

Back to the primary American family car again, and back to range (limited energy density) and cost argument. As I've said, it's not just range and cost that's important to people...am I talking to a wall?

 

EDIT: I just saw the date on that link: September 2012??? The EV landscape between then and now has changed completely.

You're really grasping at straws here.

But you are ignoring the point; the storage landscape hasn’t changed a bit.  
Here is something from 2020

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/problem-with-electric-cars-energy-density/

 

Edited by brenthutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, olofscience said:

If you read the sentence after your quote:...am I talking to a wall?

EDIT: I just saw the date on that link: September 2012??? The EV landscape between then and now has changed completely.

You're really grasping at straws here.

another straw sticking out from the adobe wall.

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

But you are ignoring the point; the storage landscape hasn’t changed a bit.  
Here is something from 2020

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/problem-with-electric-cars-energy-density/

 

The energy density of gas v batteries? What about the density and weight of diesel, gas engines v electric. Number of parts, fluids and the danger of gasoline. Capacity to capture electricity from regenerative braking. Last I heard engineers were still far from converting energy back into gas as the car slows down.

Of course abandoned oil wells, pipelines, refineries, etc. All unaccounted for.

Facts v straws

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

 

Facts v straws

Or as I like to say, fantasy v reality.

BTW you obviously didn’t watch the video as all of those points were addressed.

Also I’m not sure you aware of this but most of the electricity that powers EVs come from fossil fuels.

Edited by brenthutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Or as I like to say, fantasy v reality.

BTW you obviously didn’t watch the video as all of those points were addressed.

Also I’m not sure you aware of this but most of the electricity that powers EVs come from fossil fuels.

This is really boring. All you can troll about is the range, range, range. Reality is really quite different and electrics will become far more common. In 2012 seeing an EV was unusual, I see them here every day now.

No ability nor intelligence enough to address any of the other points. Is that why you need the video to do your arguing for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
46 minutes ago, olofscience said:

This is really boring. All you can troll about is the range, range, range. 

And price, price, price and cold weather performance

Look, if EVs were even nearly as good in reality as they are in your fantasies, we would all be driving them but we are not sooo.....

BTW EVs are not new they have been around for more than a century.

Edited by brenthutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

2 2