2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

10 hours ago, kallend said:

Meanwhile in Antarctica:

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/21/808187601/-antarctica-melts-nasa-says-showing-effects-of-record-heat

Where there was a white ice cap, there are now brown blotches of land; melted snow and ice have created ponds of water. Those are the effects of the recent record high temperatures in Antarctica, according to NASA, which on Friday released stunning before-and-after satellite images of the northern Antarctic Peninsula.

Talk about not reading the whole article...….

The bottom line was

"This is a weather event," she says of the recent warm spell."

More "winning" for BH:

=======================

Climate change is drying up the Colorado River, putting millions at risk of 'severe water shortages'

Many communities in the Southwest will suffer if the river continues to decline.

WQAD

Updated: 6:43 PM CST February 22, 2020

The Colorado River -- which provides water to more than 40 million people from Denver to Los Angeles -- has seen its flow dwindle by 20 percent compared to the last century, and scientists have found that climate change is mainly to blame.

The researchers found that more than half of the decline in the river's flow is connected to increasing temperatures, and as warming continues, they say the risk of "severe water shortages" for the millions that rely on it is expected to grow.

For each 1.8 degrees Fahrenheit of warming averaged across the river's basin, the study found that its flow has decreased by nearly 10%. Over the course of the 20th and early 21st centuries, the region has already warmed by an average of roughly 1.6 degrees Fahrenheit.

. . . .

Global warming is taking a severe toll on the snowpack that feeds the river, the scientists found. As temperatures increase, snow cover in the region is declining, meaning less energy from the sun is reflected back into space and more warms the ground as heat.

=====================

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Fracking gives us energy independence, reduces CO2 footprint, creates jobs, is cleaner than coal, etc etc

Fracking = Good. 800 ppm CO2 = Bad. Feedback loops = Bad. No idea how to control runaway greenhouse effects = bad.

Remember the mentality that there is no cost that money can’t buy; there is no waste that can’t be thrown overboard. 

After all, it’s a big ocean and a big world, and everything and everyone can be bought. 9_9

Wendy P. 

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Fracking gives us energy independence, reduces CO2 footprint, creates jobs, is cleaner than coal, etc etc

And slavery gave us cotton, food, jobs, massive exports and even more massive wealth.  But it had a few long term downsides.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billvon said:

And slavery gave us cotton, food, jobs, massive exports and even more massive wealth.  But it had a few long term downsides.

Sooooo..... using fossil fuels is like smoking, eating Big Macs, hammer vasectomies and now it is like slavery?  You need to get some help.

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

You're not listing good reference points.

Renewables (not biofuel or biomass):

Create energy independence.

Reduce CO2 footprint MORE.

Create jobs.

Are cleaner than coal so much that this is even ridiculous to list.

Don't come with the downside of a rise in methane emissions.

Etc, etc.

Edit: The real downside is the methane.  Fracking for Gas is otherwise the least of the fossil fuels.

Edited by DJL

2 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You're quoting a person who makes a living promoting nuke energy and trying to squash renewables.  Yes, the messenger again.  But yes, renewables can be more expensive.  Burning rocks we dig out of the ground is cheaper but I think you know why you don't heat your house with a furnace containing rocks we dug out of the ground.  Nuke energy is more expensive but it's a great way to make a shit-ton of energy with with few emissions so I like it.

Anyway, we've talked about this guy and his points and blah blah blah before so we're just going in circles.  When Bernie is President and VP AOC sends the jackboots to take your Tocoma so you're forced to drive an electric powered Vespa all will be right in the world.

1 hour ago, DJL said:

Burning rocks we dig out of the ground is cheaper but I think you know why you don't heat your house with a furnace containing rocks we dug out of the ground.  

I do heat my house with a furnace that burns rocks we dug out of the ground.  Those rocks power my refrigerator as well.

9 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I do heat my house with a furnace that burns rocks we dug out of the ground.  Those rocks power my refrigerator as well.

You don't literally have a coal burning furnace in your house, that's your power plant.

3 hours ago, kallend said:

Clearly the Deep State reacting and forcing this retraction.

(I think maybe I am getting my conspiracy theories mixed. is there a deep State in climate change?)