2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I posted the quote from a “denier” knowing that you would be triggered into an attack on  my veracity, only to subsequently quote the Nature article directly.  Any quibbles with my wording I will just chalk up to a distinction without a difference.

A double misdirection with a curlicue curve, you da' man!

Well, the funny part about it is that when I was younger (1970s & 80s), we'd have a 'strong arctic high pressure system' that caused a 'cold snap'.  
Now we have a 'polar vortex' causing 'near record low temps'. 

I remember having one or two of these every winter. Sometimes 3. Now we have one. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969721004812

Shifts in global bat diversity suggest a possible role of climate change in the emergence of SARS-CoV-1 and SARS-CoV-2

Bats are the likely zoonotic origin of several coronaviruses (CoVs) that infect humans, including SARS-CoV-1 and SARS-CoV-2, both of which have caused large-scale epidemics. The number of CoVs present in an area is strongly correlated with local bat species richness, which in turn is affected by climatic conditions that drive the geographical distributions of species. Here we show that the southern Chinese Yunnan province and neighbouring regions in Myanmar and Laos form a global hotspot of climate change-driven increase in bat richness. This region coincides with the likely spatial origin of bat-borne ancestors of SARS-CoV-1 and SARS-CoV-2. Accounting for an estimated increase in the order of 100 bat-borne CoVs across the region, climate change may have played a key role in the evolution or transmission of the two SARS CoVs.

http://www.ercot.com/news/releases/show/225151

“We are experiencing record-breaking electric demand due to the extreme cold temperatures that have gripped Texas," said ERCOT President and CEO Bill Magness. "At the same time, we are dealing with higher-than-normal generation outages due to frozen wind turbines and limited natural gas supplies available to generating units.”

Too many worthless windmills and not enough fossil fuel.  End result?  $9000 per megawatt hour.

21 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“We are experiencing record-breaking electric demand due to the extreme cold temperatures that have gripped Texas," said ERCOT President and CEO Bill Magness. "At the same time, we are dealing with higher-than-normal generation outages due to frozen wind turbines and limited natural gas supplies available to generating units.”

Too many worthless windmills and not enough fossil fuel.  End result?  $9000 per megawatt hour.

But but science says global warning is real. This is just a natural anomaly.

7 minutes ago, kallend said:

Europe is not "the globe" either, and its current weather is not climate.

I don't know why you keep playing the stupid card, since it was debunked years ago.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/beijing-records-coldest-morning-in-more-than-five-decades

OK, we have deadly, record breaking cold in North America, Europe and Asia.  That pretty much covers the Northern Hemisphere.

But by all means keep regurgitating the tired, now falsified theory of “warming is causing the record cold.”

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

So you are saying a bunch of snowflakes is shutting down Texas?

12 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

12 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Wonder what could disrupt the polar vortex like that?

Not what you think

”predictions of a more negative Arctic Oscillation, wavier jet stream, colder winters in mid-latitudes or, more specifically, in Eurasia, and more frequent and/or widespread cold extremes have not become reality (Fig. 1). The short-term tendencies from the late 1980s through to early 2010s that fuelled the initial speculation of Arctic influence have not continued over the past decade”

“It is indefensible to continue to rely on past short-term trends, which have since disappeared, as evidence of a large influence of Arctic warming on mid-latitude winter climate and extreme weather”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-020-00954-y

Edited by brenthutch

10 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Not what you think

”predictions of a more negative Arctic Oscillation, wavier jet stream, colder winters in mid-latitudes or, more specifically, in Eurasia, and more frequent and/or widespread cold extremes have not become reality (Fig. 1). The short-term tendencies from the late 1980s through to early 2010s that fuelled the initial speculation of Arctic influence have not continued over the past decade”

“It is indefensible to continue to rely on past short-term trends, which have since disappeared, as evidence of a large influence of Arctic warming on mid-latitude winter climate and extreme weather”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-020-00954-y

Interesting, the article says there isn't enough data and specifically long term data to make a determination in their opinions. They state that these short-term observations shouldn't be relied upon.

You post that right after claiming how the current cold-snap is proof global warming doesn't exist.

6 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Interesting, the article says there isn't enough data and specifically long term data to make a determination in their opinions. They state that these short-term observations shouldn't be relied upon.

You post that right after claiming how the current cold-snap is proof global warming doesn't exist.

The Nature study concluded the “its cold because its hot” theory should no longer be used to explain deadly cold spells.  

I say, the current cold-snap is evidence of winter, and a cold one, covering the entire hemisphere. We were assured by a leading climate science that, by now, snow would be a rare event.  He could not have been more wrong.

54 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Yes, deadly record breaking cold across the hemisphere is just what AGW theory predicted.

Why yes, it is indeed.  From SciAm:

"More extreme weather events of all kinds—from snowstorms to hurricanes to droughts—are likely side effects of a climate in transition"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earthtalks-global-warming-harsher-winter/

5 minutes ago, billvon said:

Why yes, it is indeed.  From SciAm:

"More extreme weather events of all kinds—from snowstorms to hurricanes to droughts—are likely side effects of a climate in transition"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earthtalks-global-warming-harsher-winter/

Dated 2009, that hypothesis has since been falsified.

“predictions of a more negative Arctic Oscillation, wavier jet stream, colder winters in mid-latitudes or, more specifically, in Eurasia, and more frequent and/or widespread cold extremes have not become reality (Fig. 1). The short-term tendencies from the late 1980s through to early 2010s that fuelled the initial speculation of Arctic influence have not continued over the past decade”

On 2/9/2021 at 1:52 PM, billvon said:

His reading comprehension is fine.  He's not posting things that he believes, that are honest or that reflect anything at all; he is posting things intended solely to piss you off.  From his own post:

"I posted the quote from a “denier” knowing that you would be triggered"

That's his only goal here - to anger people.  He has said as much several times.  You keep falling for it.

Just stopping in to echo this.  I come from a land where I chose not to give a platform to people who are either stupid or intellectually dishonest.  Believe me, the world is a much better place if you just hit "off" on those people instead of playing into their desire for attention or to social media relevance algorithms.  There's a reason that the dumbest comment on any FB article is at the top and getting the most exposure and that's the world in which people like BH thrive.

• Like 1

February 2021 was characterized by colder-than-average temperatures across much of North America and northern Asia, where temperatures were at least 3.0°C (5.4°F) below average. Other areas with below-average temperatures included much of the eastern and central tropical Pacific Ocean, Australia, southern Africa, southern South America, and parts of the southern oceans. North America, as a whole, had its coldest February since 1994 and the 20th coldest February in the regional 112-year record. Similarly, the contiguous U.S. had its coldest February since 1989. For additional climate information on the U.S., please visit the national climate report. Oceania had its coldest February since 2012.”

Wow!  The globe is colder now than it was in ‘98  #where’s-the-crisis?

19 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Wow!  The globe is colder now than it was in ‘98  #where’s-the-crisis?

Fuck me. You know in Kindergarten they still sing, "I'm a little teapot." But, usually by the time you get to middle school, you've learned to sing a new song.

Keyword: Learned. 

18 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Fuck me. You know in Kindergarten they still sing, "I'm a little teapot." But, usually by the time you get to middle school, you've learned to sing a new song.

Keyword: Learned. 

Facts are stubborn things, and I just learned, from climate scientists, that the earth is no warmer than it was 23 years ago.