2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

1 minute ago, Coreece said:

Dude, he's the President. . .

His record as president will go down in history as properly defining his character, intellect and failure as a person. Contrary to every scam, fraud ,lie, book, TV show, etc. that he tried to use to define himself, falsely.

2 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Climate change is already here. The results are increasing wildfires, ice caps melting, the freshening of sea water as a result, sea level rise, and more dynamic storms causing billions in damage each year worldwide. That's just the short list. 

Within a dozen years, famine will become a much bigger problem than it is now. Humans will migrate to escape their particular environment, causing small wars here and there. The biggest challenge for a quarter of the world's people will be finding enough fresh water each day. 

No use whining. We brought it on ourselves, and future generations will curse us endlessly for knowing the problem and doing little about it. 

Climate change has been going on for 4.5 billion years, we are just here to notice this small slice of time.

If we stop putting corn in our gas tanks there will be more to eat.

One of my professors once said, if you piss upstream of where your buddy is drinking that's pollution, if pissing down stream it isn't.  Too many people pissing upstream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigfalls said:

Given that corn is primarily used to produce cattle feed, HFCS and junk food - when I look around at the shape of most Americans, we should be putting MORE corn in our gas tanks and less in those things.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

With as many people as there are on the planet, pissing downstream is pollution too. We just don’t care about those effects. Often we realize we should have. 
Wendy P. 

You are right, I should have added pissing upstream and down stream.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

Given that corn is primarily used to produce cattle feed, HFCS and junk food - when I look around at the shape of most Americans, we should be putting MORE corn in our gas tanks and less in those things.

You are right and we should be growing less corn and more of other grains.

40 minutes ago, Bigfalls said:

You are right and we should be growing less corn and more of other grains.

Definitely agreed there.  Corn also isn't a great fuel crop.  Sugarcane is, but there aren't many places in the US where it grows well.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:15 PM, brenthutch said:

No, I said we would go with NOAA’s prediction, and NOAA’s prediction changed.  I am just staying consistent.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:53 AM, brenthutch said:

NOAA predicted 6-10 Hurricanes with 3-6 major Hurricanes. We’ll go with that.  

Indeed, you are being consistent. That's why you take so much crap. Let's just stick with your 8/2/2020 numbers.  And for everyone potentially in the way of a named hurricane I hope you are right.

(edited)
On 8/16/2020 at 4:56 AM, kallend said:

Greenland ice loss passes "point of no return".

https://www.nature.com/articles/s43247-020-0001-2.pdf

“But Die kalte Sonne wondered if this were really so, and needed only 2 mouse clicks to find a recent temperature reconstruction for Greenland’s past (Lecavalier et al. 2017, pdf here). The paper’s Figure 4a  shows the temperatures, with the temperature of 1950 at the far right which in paleo-climatology is always meant as “present”.

image001.jpg

Thus, 11,000 years ago, it was up to 4°C warmer than in 1950 over long periods of thousands of years, and today the warming has been about 1°C since then. Since we can see an ice sheet of 2,850,000 km³ (that is roughly Gt) today, the “point of no return” cannot have been exceeded 10,000 years ago. How does the heading then come about? We take a look at the associated work by King et al. 2020:

Is there any talk of an irreversible end of the Greenland ice sheet? From the abstract:

We show that widespread retreat between 2000 and 2005 resulted in a step-increase in discharge and a switch to a new dynamic state of sustained mass loss that would persist even under a decline in surface melt.“

“The authors see an acceleration in melting towards the ocean in the period 2000-2005, with not enough snowfall to compensate for the losses. They find a loss of about 500 Gt/year.

Only 0.15% of total ice mass

Unfortunately, they do not address the highly accurate gravity measurements with satellites in their paper. These data show a linear mass loss of only 275 Gt/year between 2003 and 2019 (with a gap in 2017 and 2018 due to a satellite change), so that in 17 years about 4200 Gt were lost, which is 0.15% of the total sheet.

What exactly do they say about the future?

Ultimately, predictions of future change will require improved understanding of the ice/ocean boundary and controls on glacier calving.“

Low-fact propaganda

This is much more cautious than what is being served up to us as “doomed” with the usual “overconfidence”. A look into the past is enough to unmask the media scream for what it is: low-fact propaganda.“

lets say it again “LOW FACT PROPAGANDA!!”

Edited by brenthutch

On 8/16/2020 at 11:44 AM, Bigfalls said:

Climate change has been going on for 4.5 billion years, we are just here to notice this small slice of time.

One of my professors once said, if you piss upstream of where your buddy is drinking that's pollution, if pissing down stream it isn't.  Too many people pissing upstream.

CORN certainly isn't the answer for ANYONE!  Get behind HEMP my dude. It's all about the seed, not the weed (in your pipe). 

;) 

On 8/23/2020 at 4:29 AM, kallend said:

you're an educated man, Greenland is fairly close in proximity to Iceland. See where I'm going with this??? Being one of the planets hottest volcanic locations I'm making a correlation.  Discuss.    

1 hour ago, timski said:

you're an educated man, Greenland is fairly close in proximity to Iceland. See where I'm going with this??? Being one of the planets hottest volcanic locations I'm making a correlation.  Discuss.    

There is mot much to discuss there. Iceland has been geologically active for a very long time. The Greenland ice sheets have started increasing their melt rate only recently.

23 hours ago, gowlerk said:

There is mot much to discuss there. Iceland has been geologically active for a very long time. The Greenland ice sheets have started increasing their melt rate only recently.

Did you watch the drama unfold last year on the BIG island. I for one am totally fascinated by anything volcano... The take away: This is the most studied volcano on the planet, and when the caldera suddenly drained suddenly and sprang up miles away in the middle of a development, well, that's impressive! The exact same thing happens on Iceland. Did I mention these two islands (Greenland/Iceland) share what I would call "close proximity"??? There is MUCH going on under the surface that we have NO idea about. I don't see my correlation being far fetched.