2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

(edited)
21 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Light the burners on your stove and then stand 6 feet away. Then go and sit on it. Let me know if you have different answers.

I could really use some global warming right about now.  We are expecting snow and temperatures in the twenties tonight. (And before some knucklehead can say “it’s just local weather, Europe and the U.K. are facing similar conditions)  It is hard for me to believe two degrees of additional warmth will result in catastrophe. (Especially since it never has)

Edited by brenthutch

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2242855-climate-change-has-already-made-parts-of-the-world-too-hot-for-humans/

. . . .

A US-UK team analysed weather station data across the world, and found that the frequency of wet bulb temperatures exceeding temperatures between 27°C TW and 35°C TW had all doubled since 1979. Though 35°C TW is thought of as a key threshold, harm and even death is possible at lower temperatures, so the team included these in their analysis.

Most of the frequency increases were in the Persian gulf, India, Pakistan and south-west North America. But at Jacobabad and Ras al Khaimah, 35°C TW appears to have been passed, the first time the breach has been reported in scientific literature.

. . . .

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2242855-climate-change-has-already-made-parts-of-the-world-too-hot-for-humans/#ixzz6LxlBVfXs

20 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I could really use some global warming right about now.  We are expecting snow and temperatures in the twenties tonight. (And before some knucklehead can say “it’s just local weather, Europe and the U.K. are facing similar conditions)  It is hard for me to believe two degrees of additional warmth will result in catastrophe. (Especially since it never has)

And Ice Cream!?!??

https://babylonbee.com/news/if-global-warming-is-real-how-do-you-explain-ice-cream-op-ed-by-sean-hannity

21 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I'm sending you some.  It was 95 here in the Bay Area yesterday.

5 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Somebody needs to tell the 2.5 million folks currently living in the Sahara 

Apparently sometroll doesn't know what wet-bulb temperatures are, yet the same troll claims to know something about climate change. 

22 hours ago, kallend said:

Apparently sometroll doesn't know what wet-bulb temperatures are, yet the same troll claims to know something about climate change. 

I actually took wet-bulb temps during summer training in GA & FL.  I didn’t just read about it.

6 hours ago, kallend said:

That snowflake would be very difficult to explain, since it has the wrong point group symmetry (4/mmm instead of 6/mmm)

ptgroups2.gif

Say, you're right. The cross is also wrong on that book, the ruler has 21 inches, and the bird only has one wing. I really need to do a better job verifying my sources. Maybe I should just stick with vostok ice core data next time.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Well well:

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/archives/May20.pdf

The United States is on track to produce more electricity this year from renewable power than from coal, for the first time on record.

Imagine what would happen if we didn't have the opposition to the reality of the need for renewable energy.

21 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Imagine what would happen if we didn't have the opposition to the reality of the need for renewable energy.

Put it this way, it took a war in which over 620,000 men died because we couldn't agree that the economy was less important than enslaving humans.  That should've been an easy one.  Most other countries settled it with no real bloodshed.

(edited)
On 5/14/2020 at 12:20 PM, kallend said:

Well well:

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/steo/archives/May20.pdf

The United States is on track to produce more electricity this year from renewable power than from coal, for the first time on record.

As you well,well know, that is a function of natural gas supplanting coal, not wind and solar.   AKA, Fossil fuels are replacing better fossil fuels. We produce more "renewables" from burning tires, garbage and wood than we do from wind and solar combined. (sorry if that hurts your feelings)

Edited by brenthutch

On 5/16/2020 at 9:35 PM, brenthutch said:

As you well,well know, that is a function of natural gas supplanting coal, not wind and solar.   AKA, Fossil fuels are replacing better fossil fuels. We produce more "renewables" from burning tires, garbage and wood than we do from wind and solar combined. (sorry if that hurts your feelings)

While wind and solar are creeping into the spectrum it certainly is natural gas making the most headway and washing coal down the drain.  Looking forward remember one aspect of cheap gas this is that there is abundance having gone through a warmer winter and that it's collected as a side product by frackers drilling for crude oil.  That's not going to put a big dent in the gas industry but it's something to watch.

(edited)
On 5/9/2020 at 6:28 PM, kallend said:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2242855-climate-change-has-already-made-parts-of-the-world-too-hot-for-humans/

. . . .

A US-UK team analysed weather station data across the world, and found that the frequency of wet bulb temperatures exceeding temperatures between 27°C TW and 35°C TW had all doubled since 1979. Though 35°C TW is thought of as a key threshold, harm and even death is possible at lower temperatures, so the team included these in their analysis.

Most of the frequency increases were in the Persian gulf, India, Pakistan and south-west North America. But at Jacobabad and Ras al Khaimah, 35°C TW appears to have been passed, the first time the breach has been reported in scientific literature.

. . . .

Read more: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2242855-climate-change-has-already-made-parts-of-the-world-too-hot-for-humans/#ixzz6LxlBVfXs

Alarming, to say the least. There are plenty of reasons for reducing emissions; first and foremost - it's pollution. I'm no Greta Thunberg but I believe that the reduction of emissions is good for everyone, and for the only planet we've got.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, DJL said:

While wind and solar are creeping into the spectrum it certainly is natural gas making the most headway and washing coal down the drain.

Yep.  Another good effect of that is that new (large) gas plants tend to be fast-startup combined cycle plants - those work very well with intermittent renewables.

2 hours ago, billvon said:

Yep.  Another good effect of that is that new (large) gas plants tend to be fast-startup combined cycle plants - those work very well with intermittent renewables.

Not only do they work well with renewables, they are indispensable.  Without fossil fuels, renewables just don't work. (on a large scale) 

Dam collapse floods central Michigan following record rainfalls.

During the past several decades, spring rainfall in Michigan has been on the increase, likely tied to warming temperatures and the air’s ability to hold additional moisture. Data point to a roughly 25 percent increase in March through May rainfall since 1970 in Midland, with similar trends observed areawide. Mean springtime precipitation in Gladwin has leapt from 7.1 inches in 1940 to nearly 9.3 inches nowadays. Spring temperatures have warmed a degree and a half there during that same time frame.

According to the U.S. government’s National Climate Assessment, the heaviest precipitation events in the Midwest have increased by 42 percent since 1958.

The last four years, 2016 through 2019, were all ranked among Michigan’s top 15 wettest on record, and five of the top 10 wettest years have come in the last decade.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/05/20/michigan-dams-fail-midland/