2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

Love the conservative "can do" attitude :rofl:

pro tip: stop getting in the way.

The record cold and snow in May, are getting in the way.  It is hard to imagine the planet burning up when it is snowing in mid-spring and it is hard to justify the premium on EVs when gas is $1 a gallon.

You guy are just pissed off because you know that I am right.  

9 hours ago, billvon said:

Of talking about science with a group of people who have chosen ideology over science?  Agreed.

2 hours ago, olofscience said:

Love the conservative "can do" attitude :rofl:

pro tip: stop getting in the way.

23 minutes ago, DJL said:

The phrase is "too stupid to argue with".

How has Brent single handedly managed to keep this flat earth thread going for so long? I hesitate to call him a troll because I don't think he is. But facts don't seem to matter hereabouts.

Meanwhile in the facts department.

"Renewables have generated more electricity than coal for the last 40 days, shattering the previous record of just nine consecutive days.

Wind, solar and hydroelectricity have produced more electricity than coal since March 25, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration analyzed by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA)."

(edited)
2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

How has Brent single handedly managed to keep this flat earth thread going for so long? I hesitate to call him a troll because I don't think he is. But facts don't seem to matter hereabouts.

Meanwhile in the facts department.

"Renewables have generated more electricity than coal for the last 40 days, shattering the previous record of just nine consecutive days.

Wind, solar and hydroelectricity have produced more electricity than coal since March 25, according to data from the U.S. Energy Information Administration analyzed by the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA)."

It says more about coal than it does about wind and solar.  Coal plants are being replaced with natural gas, not wind and solar.  Sorry for the bad news.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/electricity/electricity-in-the-us.php

Not to mention wind and solar account for less that one third of what is considered "renewable"  almost half comes from burning garbage and wood.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/renewable-sources/

Edited by brenthutch

12 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

It says more about coal than it does about wind and solar.  Coal plants are being replaced with natural gas, not wind and solar.  Sorry for the bad news.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/electricity/electricity-in-the-us.php

Only partially true. Perhaps the C-19 recession will finally nail the coffin shut of the whole coal industry.

Renewable energy is now a compelling alternative as it costs less than fossil fuels, says Michael Milken Sep 19 2019

“Solar in the range of 2 to 4 cents is basically going to be available everywhere in 2025, with some uncertainty as to how fast costs will come down. But our research and the research of NREL suggest that cost decline is going to continue regardless of federal tax support.”

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

The record cold and snow in May, are getting in the way.  It is hard to imagine the planet burning up when it is snowing in mid-spring and it is hard to justify the premium on EVs when gas is $1 a gallon.

You guy are just pissed off because you know that I am right.  

Given that your position is the climate is BOTH changing and NOT changing, you've forfeited the chance to be right.

What you are though, is irrelevant. The world has passed you by, technology will march on and the low price of oil reflects the new reality. We will buy more EVs, aircraft will become electric, and you will just be an old man refusing to let go of a fading era.

And guess what. I used to work in the oil industry (metallurgical engineer monitoring corrosion in refinery heat exchangers and pipework).

(edited)
12 minutes ago, olofscience said:

the low price of oil reflects the new reality. We will buy more EVs, aircraft will become electric

Face palm...

Why would anyone buy an EV when gas is so cheap and plentiful?  The new reality is that, thanks to Yankee ingenuity, we have a centuries worth of oil and natural gas.  Yes oil, gas and coal companies may go bankrupt, the rocks will not.  

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
55 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Why would anyone buy an EV when gas is so cheap and plentiful?

1. lower maintenance costs
  2. lower operating costs
  3. higher performance
  4. more convenience
  5. no particulate emissions or harmful pipe emissions (even much less brake dust)
  6. power delivery flexibility (eg. backup power for your house in case of blackout)
  7. cheaper delivery infrastructure
  8. much quieter at low speeds

Next question?

Edited by olofscience
more and more reasons keep coming up!

53 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Given that your position is the climate is BOTH changing and NOT changing, you've forfeited the chance to be right.

Agreed, he is the same guy that argued that humanity cannot influence climate because humanity has influenced climate. Clearly one of the brighter scientific minds of this century.

40 minutes ago, olofscience said:
  2. lower operating costs
  3. higher performance
  4. more convenience
  5. no particulate emissions or harmful pipe emissions (even much less brake dust)
  6. power delivery flexibility (eg. backup power for your house in case of blackout)

Next question?

And 9) they are currently the fastest cars on the road.

2. lower operating costs
  3. higher performance
  4. more convenience

Next question?

There you go.

Using facts. (correct ones, too).

Don't you understand that he doesn't argue based on those?

2. lower operating costs
  3. higher performance
  4. more convenience

Next question?

My Honda Acord coupe is less expensive and is much faster than a Chevy Bolt and I don't have to worry about range, recharging, or cold weather performance.

You think that looking for a charging station and then waiting a half and hour+ to recharge is convenient? 

(edited)
28 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

My Honda Acord coupe is less expensive and is much faster than a Chevy Bolt and I don't have to worry about range, recharging, or cold weather performance.

You think that looking for a charging station and then waiting a half and hour+ to recharge is convenient?

So did I say: range, speed, cold weather performance? No I did not.

Convenience: I can charge at home, overnight. And since it's really easy to move electricity around, charging points can be everywhere, cheaply.

By the way, electric cars are really popular in Norway. A country known for being cold. So that leaves you with range and speed.

Oh, and you compared against a Bolt, is your Acord faster than a Model 3?

That leaves you with range.

I gave 8 reasons to buy an EV, you have 1.

Next.

Edited by olofscience

By the way, electric cars are really popular in Norway. A country known for being cold. So that leaves you with range and speed.

Oh, and you compared against a Bolt, is your Acord faster than a Model 3

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcollins/2020/03/02/teslas-sales-fell-68-in-the-netherlands-and-92-in-norway-in-february/#365bffde1bf0

I compared it to the EV at the closest price point.

3 hours ago, olofscience said:
  2. lower operating costs
  3. higher performance
  4. more convenience

Next question?

Nobody is buying that argument (or EVs for that matter).

Here are the top 25 selling vehicles in 2019.  Not an EV anywhere in sight.  

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

You think that looking for a gas station and then paying whatever they ask is convenient?

You think not being able to refuel at home is convenient?

If the economy tanks completely, I'll still be driving.  You'll be waiting in gas lines praying there is some left by the time you get to the pump, a few hours later.

(edited)
1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

No, nobody's listening to your arguments.

Oh wait, you don't have any.

(BTW, the mathematical quantity referred by "nobody" is zero. so you're already wrong on that)

Edited by olofscience

(edited)

No, nobody's listening to your arguments.

Oh wait, you don't have any.

(BTW, the mathematical quantity referred by "nobody" is zero. so you're already wrong on that)

Ok Mr. Pedantic 

BTW the irony of your “nobody is listening to your arguments” comment is not lost on me.

Edited by brenthutch

2 hours ago, billvon said:

You think that looking for a gas station and then paying whatever they ask is convenient?

You think not being able to refuel at home is convenient?

If the economy tanks completely, I'll still be driving.  You'll be waiting in gas lines praying there is some left by the time you get to the pump, a few hours later.

Hmm..I recall a blackout a few years back that lasted a couple of days.

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Here are the top 25 selling vehicles in 2019.  Not an EV anywhere in sight.  

Tesla US sales 1st quarter 2020 were up 75% from 2019.  Next closest gainers were Lincoln and Ram, each up less than 3%.  Kia (up 1%) was the only other maker selling more cars in 2020 than in 2019 1st quarter.