2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

GOOD NEWS!

Arctic sea ice extent is now greater than it has been since 2013.

What do you think that means?  Are you saying that sea Arctic Sea Ice is a measure of the effects of global warming?

(edited)

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

"Arctic sea ice appears to have reached its annual maximum extent on March 5. The 2020 maximum sea ice extent is the eleventh lowest in the 42-year satellite record, but the highest since 2013."

And down south

"Since satellite-based measurements began in the late 1970s, Antarctic sea ice extent has shown high year-to-year variability. The overall trend is towards long-term increase" NOAA

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)
30 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

https://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

"Arctic sea ice appears to have reached its annual maximum extent on March 5. The 2020 maximum sea ice extent is the eleventh lowest in the 42-year satellite record, but the highest since 2013."

And down south

"Since satellite-based measurements began in the late 1970s, Antarctic sea ice extent has shown high year-to-year variability. The overall trend is towards long-term increase" NOAA

So in other words, 7 of the lowest 11 in the last 42 years were the last 7 years (since this year's stellar performance is still one of the 11 lowest). Without even looking at the graph, sounds like sea ice is, in general, going down.

Wendy P.

Edited by wmw999

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

So in other words, 7 of the lowest 11 in the last 42 years were the last 7 years (since this year's stellar performance is still one of the 11 lowest). Without even looking at the graph, sounds like sea ice is, in general, going down.

Wendy P.

Or it is coming back, part of a natural ebb and flow cycle.

2 hours ago, kallend said:

It's a pity people with no scientific background are unable to read graphs or interpret the literature.

But once again, we have proof right here.

Just what part of "Arctic sea ice extent is now greater than it has been since 2013" did I misinterpret?

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Or it is coming back, part of a natural ebb and flow cycle.

If it were coming back then the extent would be greater than the average, not less than it.  This data point if taken alone or even compared to 2013 could at best be a mark towards a slower rate of loss but not a reversal.  There is about a 5 year cycle, see graph below.  March is the maximum, September is the minimum.  As you can see, both are trending towards decline.

Time series graph of ice extent anomalies in March and September

16 hours ago, wmw999 said:

This isn't the stock market, guaranteed to go back up eventually. Well, maybe it is, but "eventually" probably means a lot more years that matters to us.

Wendy P.

You know, that didn't even occur to me that he would mean 20,000 years. Rush, our fisheries don't have 20,000 years.

Even without an assist from El Niño, this year is giving 2016 a run for its money as the warmest year on record. In its monthly global climate summary for March, released on Monday, NOAA’s National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI) reported that last month was the second warmest March in record going back to 1880. The month came in only 0.15°C (0.27°F) behind March 2016.

Last month also saw the third largest departure from the 20th-century average for any of the 1683 months on record, behind only February and March 2016.

NASA concurred with NOAA, as did the Japan Meteorological Agency, with both ranking last month as the second warmest in their respective databases. Meanwhile, Europe's Copernicus Climate Change Service found March 2020 to be the fourth-warmest March on record, but it was within 0.04 degrees of the second- and third-warmest Marches from 2017 and 2019. Such differences in rankings can stem from variations in how research groups analyze global temperature, including how they account for data-sparse areas such as the Arctic.

The crucial difference between this year and 2016 is that one of the strongest El Niño events on record was peaking in late 2015 and early 2016. As it spreads warm water across the surface of the equatorial Pacific Ocean, El Niño can send vast amounts of stored oceanic heat into the atmosphere. Most of the recent record-warm spikes atop longer-term global warming from human-produced greenhouse gases have occurred during El Niño, so to get a March this warm without El Niño is truly noteworthy.

WU 4/15

(edited)
47 minutes ago, kallend said:

It was cold in Chicago yesterday.  Clearly the warming has stopped.

But wait, I thought proof of global warming hinges upon cycles like winter, el nino/la nina, and ocean current cycles not happening.  We've been hoodwinked.

Edited by DJL

2 hours ago, kallend said:

It was cold in Chicago yesterday.  Clearly the warming has stopped.

You can adjust global temperatures and projections of "peak oil" but you can not adjust away growing glaciers, April snow storms, growing polar ice and $1.15 a gallon gasoline.  #winning

On 4/15/2020 at 6:31 AM, kallend said:

Even without an assist from El Niño, this year is giving 2016 a run for its money as the warmest year on record.

Not possible!  RushMC himself started this thread and told us all that warming ended in 1998! 

2016?  They wrote the number down wrong.  2019? Someone jiggled the thermometer.  2015?  It was an El Nino or something.  2017?  It was cold in Florida one day that year so it doesn't count.  2013?  Look, what are numbers anyway?  It FELT colder that year.  2010?  Couldn't get the real number to the government on time.  Honest!  I ran out of gas! I had a flat tire! I didn't have enough money for cab fare! My tux didn't come back from the cleaners!  An old friend came in from out of town!  Someone stole my car! There was an earthquake!  A terrible flood!  Locusts!  IT WASN'T WARMER, I SWEAR TO GOD!

7 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

You can adjust global temperatures and projections of "peak oil" but you can not adjust away growing glaciers, April snow storms, growing polar ice and $1.15 a gallon gasoline.  #winning

Wait....so the gas price fallout from coronavirus is proof that global warming doesn't exist?