2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

To all of those that keep saying "nearly all scientists agree....."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/04/09/do0907.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/04/09/ixworld.html
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

How can you not realize that "nearly all" is compatible with "nearly all except Bob Carter."

Let's also note that this piece by Bob Carter is a shrill political editorial, not a scientific position paper.

Is he right? I have no idea, but this editorial sure doesn't add credibility to his position.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Yea, well there was three inchs of snow everywhere this morning, is that normal for Easter!??!
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

And the formerly permanent snow and ice caps are melting in the Andes.

I think it's aliens making a heat-generating machine in Mexico.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

There was some sci-fi movie about that a few years ago. They were aliens from another planet, trying to make Earth more hospitable because their world was dying. It might have been somewhere else in Central America. I can't find the movie name right now, but it was pretty lame over all.

In Mexico, I have a feeling that Mexicans would not be aliens.

Why do people think all Texans are alike :):ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

When my grandmother learned that my college tennis partner was from Texas, she was truly worried for me....don't know what she thought was happening to my soul...lol. In her mind, you were ALL Texicans!!! :o:D and that was a BAD thing....very bad.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

There was some sci-fi movie about that a few years ago. They were aliens from another planet, trying to make Earth more hospitable because their world was dying. It might have been somewhere else in Central America. I can't find the movie name right now, but it was pretty lame over all.

The name of that movie was "The Arrival" with Charlie Sheen..It has Ron Silver in it....as one of the Aliens... which is a role reminisent of his Role on the West Wing as the Republican campaign guy... hmm typecasting.:D:D

Sorry, how do I -as a simple alien here- have to understand that "There IS....." followed by "...it stopped..." Sounds slightly controversal to me. :|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Two other reports in the UK this weekend also stated that the biggest gas contributing to "global warming" is ................................wait for it......................................................................................water vapor and that water vapor along with (get this) Cleaner air from westen countries are allowing more sun (which is in a high output cycle) is now the greatest contributer to a warmer planet..................................................................................which they surmise is part of the earths natural cycle.

But all scientist believe man is causeing global warming......:S
Abraham Lincoln

Sorry, how do I -as a simple alien here- have to understand that "There IS....." followed by "...it stopped..." Sounds slightly controversal to me. :|

Not my titlle, it came from the article;)
Abraham Lincoln

> the biggest gas contributing to "global warming" is . . .water vapor

Well, duh. That's like saying that the sun may play a role in warming the earth. Water vaopr, CO2, methans, CFC's - all play a role in regulating the radiative balance. We're not having much effect on the water balance because there is so much of the stuff. (Check out a globe sometime; see how much of the surface of the planet is water.) We are having a massive effect on CO2 quantities.

> Cleaner air from westen countries . . .

You're confusing air pollution with high altitude aerosols. They are not the same, although they are related. (High altitude aerosols block sunlight.)

> are allowing more sun (which is in a high output cycle) . . .

There's an 11 year cycle. So if it's high now, it was lower in 1998. You still going to claim that global warming "stopped" in 1998? Gotta get the denials straight!

Charlie Shean, if I spelled the name correctly almost put a stop to em, the damn things could make themselves look like humans but jump like Mexican jumping beans.:P

Turns out they had a contract with Halliburton and Dick Chenny to build these damn reators to take over the world. The things people do for money:S

All I ever stated was not all agree with your view. I most certainly don't, and nearly all the global warming models have not yet been able to account for the vapor or the sun variation.

Wolf........................wolf comes to mind.....
Abraham Lincoln

>Wolf........................wolf comes to mind.....

Indeed it does. "There's no such thing as global warming!" Lots of people bought that one. "Those scientists don't know what they're talking about - it's just a temporary spike, a few warm summers." Some people bought that, too. After all, there were no permanent changes.

Now Alaskans are watching the tundra disappear. Eskimos are seeing shores they have never seen before appear from beneath the ice. Freighters are seeing new ways to get through the northern passages once closed by ice. People on the Gulf Coast see incredible hurricane seasons. And now the deniers have changed their tune again, to "Oh, we agree it's getting warmer and all, but it's sure not our fault! It's the sun. Or water vapor. Or it's normal. Or something else; it certainly has nothing to do with us."

You can only fool people for so long. Most people are catching on. Not because of any rhetoric from either side, but because they can look out their windows and see what's happening in their own back yards.

But fear not; there will be a new spin to put on it in a decade or so, when the seas start rising and the ocean currents start behaving badly. Perhaps by that time the deniers will find a way to blame the scientists! "If not for those stupid environmentalists, we'd have more high altitude aerosols, and none of this would be happening!"

Most people are catching on. Not because of any rhetoric from either side, but because they can look out their windows and see what's happening in their own back yards.

Here in Colorado and surrounding states, the mountain snow pack was 150% this year and last.

So agreed -- I look out the window and see more snow than before. According to me then, we must be heading into a rather severe ice age.

. . =(_8^(1)

Most people are catching on. Not because of any rhetoric from either side, but because they can look out their windows and see what's happening in their own back yards.

Here in Colorado and surrounding states, the mountain snow pack was 150% this year and last.

So agreed -- I look out the window and see more snow than before. According to me then, we must be heading into a rather severe ice age.

Lots of snow in the mountians for sure.
I don't know where you live, but there were near record high temperatures yesterday and today in Denver.
I have a friend in Durango that said the snow levels were way down in that part of the state.

>So agreed -- I look out the window and see more snow than before.

Ah, so you believe that cold weather = snow. That explains some things!

Why would I think cold and snow were the same thing? I don't quite understand what you think I believe.

. . =(_8^(1)

>Now Alaskans are watching the tundra disappear. Eskimos are seeing shores they have never seen before appear from beneath the ice.

And I grew up in winters that had storms for weeks. Those storms had not happened with nearly as much force or strenghth until the last 3 years. Guess what........thhheeerrrreeeee bbbaaaaaaaaccckk.

My point? Natural cycles. What you have above, according to research, has happened before. Before what you might ask? Before man.

You want to buy into this politically motivated hype you go right ahead. As for me, I will fight tooth and nail to try and stop it.
Abraham Lincoln

>Those storms had not happened with nearly as much force
>or strenghth until the last 3 years.

That's as silly as the people who see an 11 year low in sun activity and declare a coming ice age.

>My point? Natural cycles. What you have above, according
>to research, has happened before.

Yes, it has - due to volcanic eruptions and meteor impacts. They resulted in mass extinctions. Now we are driving a change at a similar rate. I think that's a bad idea.

>You want to buy into this politically motivated hype you go right
>ahead. As for me, I will fight tooth and nail to try and stop it.

We all lose if both sides think it's a political cause and fight tooth and nail against science. This has gone from a science policy issue to a political issue. Your side doesn't believe in it - so any admission that anthropogenic global warming is a problem means defeat, and you figh tooth and nail to avoid defeat. The extremists on the other side think the end is coming tomorrow - and thus think anyone who doesn't believe in that is an idiot.

The truth is, as usual, in the middle, and most people now believe that it's a problem that needs to be addressed - as do most scientists. Unfortunately, any energies we might have spent better understanding the problem, and figuring how to ameliorate its impacts, will instead go into "fighting tooth and nail." But I suppose that's the way of american politics.

>Now we are driving a change at a similar rate.

speculation at best.
Abraham Lincoln

>and most people now believe that ........

and this is misleading at the very best:S
Abraham Lincoln

>speculation at best.

"Tilman says the rate of extinction is approaching what scientists assume happened 65 million years ago. That's when many believe a giant meteorite struck the earth, causing a dramatic climate change that led to mass extinction."

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2005/01/31_olsond_biodiversity/

"They concluded that from 15 to 37% of all the species in the regions studied could be driven to extinction by the climate changes likely between now and 2050."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3375447.stm

Main opposition to this research comes from Center for the Study of Carbon Dioxide and Global Change and the Greening Earth society, who regulary publish papers that say climate change is good and/or extinctions will not be so bad. The former group is funded by Exxon; the latter is a front for the Western Fuels Association.

>and this is misleading at the very best

"The survey found that 56 percent believed that global warming is occurring, whereas 40 percent said they were not convinced. That is unchanged from a poll conducted in April, before the hurricane season, which suggests that hurricanes Katrina and Rita did not substantially alter the public's view on climate change."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/01/AR2005100101191.html