2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

19 minutes ago, timski said:

Did you watch the drama unfold last year on the BIG island. I for one am totally fascinated by anything volcano... The take away: This is the most studied volcano on the planet, and when the caldera suddenly drained suddenly and sprang up miles away in the middle of a development, well, that's impressive! The exact same thing happens on Iceland. Did I mention these two islands (Greenland/Iceland) share what I would call "close proximity"??? There is MUCH going on under the surface that we have NO idea about. I don't see my correlation being far fetched.       

I will assume then that you have nothing more than your feelings that this is kind of cool to go on. 

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I will assume then that you have nothing more than your feelings that this is kind of cool to go on. 

Granddad away's said, got a hunch, bet a bunch. My overwhelming common sense gets in the way... I HAVE A HYPOTHESIS!!!  That's a Dinosaur Train reference if you didn't get it. 

2 minutes ago, timski said:

Granddad away's said, got a hunch, bet a bunch. My overwhelming common sense gets in the way... I HAVE A HYPOTHESIS!!!  That's a Dinosaur Train reference if you didn't get it. 

Well I hope you keep your gambling under control and don’t try to make a living at it!

36 minutes ago, timski said:

Thanks, a smile maker is always welcome.  :D

What? Me smile? I just had a quick peak at Google Earth. A glance tells me that Greenland and Iceland are about as close together as New York City and Chicago are. FWIW.

50 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

What? Me smile? I just had a quick peak at Google Earth. A glance tells me that Greenland and Iceland are about as close together as New York City and Chicago are. FWIW.

That's practically on top of each other as seen from Mars.

Earth_Mars_14-08-12.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, timski said:

Did I mention these two islands (Greenland/Iceland) share what I would call "close proximity"?

They're not.  In fact the absolute closest they get is ~200 miles.  And the area that is melting most rapidly now is over 1000 miles away from Iceland.  In fact it's a lot closer to Clyde River, Canada than Iceland.  No volcanoes in Clyde River that I know of.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Because...... science!

Globally, the total acreage burned by fires declined 24 percent between 1998 and 2015, according to a new paper published in Science”

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/90493/researchers-detect-a-global-drop-in-fires

You didn't actually read the article, did you.

19 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

I read it, land use bla bla, grasslands yada yada.  The point is, contrary to alarmists predictions, global fires are going down and substantially.

But those global fires aren't down due to global warming or any other factors really related to global warming, so what is your point posting it here?

Sure, the increased risk of global warming on wild fires is currently mitigated by non-related factors, but that doesn't say anything about global warming. (never mind that the mitigated areas are in Africa and South America, which is hardly consoling for those who are being affected by the increased risk of wild fires in California, Oregon, etc.)

Edited by SkyDekker

1 hour ago, billvon said:

That would have made it impossible to make his point, so of course not.

Then why should he? That makes no sense. I'm not sure who's in charge of mowing those Asian Grasslands but as the attached chart shows landscaping has been on a steady rise in the US at the same time that landline use has been going down. Coincidence? Cause-effect? There must be a reason. No reading required. 

Landscaping trends US.png

Land line use in America.png

On 8/8/2020 at 7:10 AM, brenthutch said:

I’m glad you pointed this out.  CAGW theory says we should have more hurricanes as temperatures rise, and as NOAA has illustrated, we have both an increase in temperature and no trend in hurricanes.  According to scientific principle this would invalidate this portion of CAGW theory. Apply this sober analysis across the board and one is left with an irrational, blubbering puddle of emotion and not a rational theory.

The 2020 Atlantic hurricane season is an ongoing tropical cyclone season. So far, it has featured a total of 21 tropical cyclones, 20 tropical storms, eight hurricanes, and one major hurricane.[nb 1] With 20 named storms, it is the second most active Atlantic hurricane season on record, tied with the 1933 Atlantic hurricane season, and behind only the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season. The season officially started on June 1 and will officially end on November 30; however, the formation of tropical cyclones is possible at any time, as illustrated by the formations of tropical storms Arthur and Bertha, on May 16 and 27, respectively, marking the record sixth consecutive year with pre-season systems. During the season, Tropical Storm Cristobal and 16 later systems have broken the record for the earliest formation by storm number. In addition, the season is the first to see seven named tropical cyclones make landfall in the continental United States before September.[2][3] This activity has been fueled by an ongoing La Niña, which developed during the summer months of 2020.

13 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Then why should he? That makes no sense. I'm not sure who's in charge of mowing those Asian Grasslands but as the attached chart shows landscaping has been on a steady rise in the US at the same time that landline use has been going down. Coincidence? Cause-effect? There must be a reason. No reading required. 

I disagree.  It's the number of pirates that determines how fast the Earth is warming and thus how many fires there are.  And I have proof below.

Let's see all those climate change alarmists refute that with science - THEY CAN'T!

pirates.jpg

3 hours ago, billvon said:

I disagree.  It's the number of pirates that determines how fast the Earth is warming and thus how many fires there are.  And I have proof below.

Let's see all those climate change alarmists refute that with science - THEY CAN'T!

pirates.jpg

I'm a believer. I notice there are three dots between 1820 and 1860 and 5 dots between 1980 and 2000. Would that indicate that planetary spin is slowing as global warming speeds up? Maybe it'll slow enough that we can get off. 

11 hours ago, brenthutch said:

See, no mention of man made climate change.

What, it’s the first time we’ve ever had a La Niña?  

I decided to check in here to see how your stance was standing up that man made global warming  coincides with the presence or absence of  hurricanes.  I see you still won’t listen to the metrics that YOU establish.