2 2
rushmc

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998

From Science:

================

Increasing mitigation ambition to meet the Paris Agreement’s temperature goal avoids substantial heat-related mortality in U.S. cities

Science Advances  05 Jun 2019:
Vol. 5, no. 6

Abstract

Current greenhouse gas mitigation ambition is consistent with ~3°C global mean warming above preindustrial levels. There is a clear need to strengthen mitigation ambition to stabilize the climate at the Paris Agreement goal of warming of less than 2°C. We specify the differences in city-level heat-related mortality between the 3°C trajectory and warming of 2° and 1.5°C. Focusing on 15 U.S. cities where reliable climate and health data are available, we show that ratcheting up mitigation ambition to achieve the 2°C threshold could avoid between 70 and 1980 annual heat-related deaths per city during extreme events (30-year return period). Achieving the 1.5°C threshold could avoid between 110 and 2720 annual heat-related deaths. Population changes and adaptation investments would alter these numbers. Our results provide compelling evidence for the heat-related health benefits of limiting global warming to 1.5°C in the United States.

================

From Seattle:

Heat wave causes road to buckle in South Seattle

by KOMO News Staff 

Wednesday, June 12th

Temperature soaring well into the 90s Wednesday was too much for a portion of the road at 4th Ave South at South Industrial Way, which buckled to the heat, officials say.

. . .

Engineers said Seattle has a lot of older pavements and they don’t have a lot of room to expand when it gets hot. And the high in Seattle on Wednesday was 95 degrees, breaking the daily record for the day by a full 10 degrees. Seattle only gets a 95 or hotter day about once every other year, according to local climate records.

==================

On 6/14/2019 at 8:36 PM, airdvr said:

Daughter in Law lives in MountainView.  It was 90 degrees there too this week.  She told her mom it was climate change.  9_9

Interesting article in the latest Scientific American points out that one extreme weather event can't be attibuted to climate change, but a long succession of extreme events (such as record floods, heatwaves, cold snaps, storms. . . ) in geographical locations distributed worldwide cannot be explained by natural variability alone, but is a very powerful indicator that the global climate is indeed changing.

26 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Of no matter.  The AGW crowd has captured the fears of the next few generations.  Same group who thinks $500 car seats are necessary.

Well, $500 car seats didn't lead to societal collapse so I'm not worried about the AGW crowd either.  If their worst outcome is that it wasn't the most cost effective way to keep my stomping ground, the shorelines of the Chespeake Bay, from being a hot dead bog in 50 years then I'm OK with that.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

Of no matter.  The AGW crowd has captured the fears of the next few generations.  Same group who thinks $500 car seats are necessary.

Given that we are part of a group that thinks $1200 AAD's are a good idea - I wouldn't be so quick to mock.

3 minutes ago, billvon said:

Same group who thinks $500 car seats are necessary.

That group includes my wife, my daughter, the FTC, Transport Canada, medical professionals, etc....  A first world concern for sure. I'll bet your children, or grandchildren are protected by $500 car seats. I just bought one for my grandson.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:18 AM, gowlerk said:

The rate of increase and the proportion of energy production from coal is decreasing. I'm not sure why dead enders are always so negative.

Funny thing the way that is worded.

SO, let's clarify - Coal is on the rise - but the rise is slowing down . . .

That goes against the whole "coal production is down" argument, does it not?

If its still rising, but just not as fast - that doesn't mean it is decreasing.:D

THAT is where I call Bull shit - That is where I point out some fuzzy math.

4 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

Funny thing the way that is worded.

SO, let's clarify - Coal is on the rise - but the rise is slowing down . . .

That goes against the whole "coal production is down" argument, does it not?

If its still rising, but just not as fast - that doesn't mean it is decreasing.:D

THAT is where I call Bull shit - That is where I point out some fuzzy math.

Energy production is on the rise around the world. The portion of that energy production that comes from coal is declining. The rate at which the production from coal is increasing is indeed declining too. Production from coal does increase for now, because the energy production as a whole is growing.

It's not fuzzy math, it makes perfect sense. It is unfortunate that since it may not be intuitive, in stead of thinking about it, it simple gets dismissed as bullshit.

Just now, SkyDekker said:

Energy production is on the rise around the world. The portion of that energy production that comes from coal is declining. The rate at which the production from coal is increasing is indeed declining too. Production from coal does increase for now, because the energy production as a whole is growing.

It's not fuzzy math, it makes perfect sense. It is unfortunate that since it may not be intuitive, in stead of thinking about it, it simple gets dismissed as bullshit.

True or false?

Saying that Coal production is down, is a lie.

12 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

As a pure standalone comment. Sure that is a lie. 

In context to sources of electricity production it isn't.

How?

If it is true as a stand alone statement - it is true.

Wanting it to not be doesn't make it not true.

Even on a galactic scale - the truth is the truth - you don't get to fuzzy math the facts into what you want them to be.

Regardless of this disagreement, world coal consumption is indeed showing few signs of decline. It is and will continue to be a major problem and a huge source of atmospheric carbon. That is not a reason to throw our hands in the air and give up.

45 minutes ago, turtlespeed said:

How?

If it is true as a stand alone statement - it is true.

Wanting it to not be doesn't make it not true.

Even on a galactic scale - the truth is the truth - you don't get to fuzzy math the facts into what you want them to be.

I outlined the context. As a standalone it is misleading considering the growth in the entire data-set.

Let's say that population is increasing as a whole by 10% annually. 

year 1: 5% is boys and 5% is girls

Year 2: 7% is boys and 3% is girls

Year 3: 9% is boys and 1% is girls

Now a decrease in growth rate like that might make some people say that something is happening. A distribution like that is not normal. Some might even simplify it by saying less girls are being born. Do you think a fair response to that is: There are still more girls being born than the year before, nothing has changed?

Just now, SkyDekker said:

I outlined the context. As a standalone it is misleading considering the growth in the entire data-set.

year 1: 5% is boys and 5 etc etc etc

Now a decrease in gro   etc etc

I think we can just boil this down to say that it's decreasing as a percentage of use while overall the usage is still on the rise.

4 minutes ago, DJL said:

I think we can just boil this down to say that it's decreasing as a percentage of use while overall the usage is still on the rise.

Sure you could, but that concept appears to be too difficult for Turtle to understand, so i tried to simplify it for him in the hope he learns something. Now, I have tried to bring him to the water well before.......it wasn't successful.

6 hours ago, gowlerk said:

That group includes my wife, my daughter, the FTC, Transport Canada, medical professionals, etc....  A first world concern for sure. I'll bet your children, or grandchildren are protected by $500 car seats. I just bought one for my grandson.

https://www.target.com/p/evenflo-maestro-sport-harness-booster-car-seat-aspen-skies/-/A-75454265?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Baby%2BShopping_Brand&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=1023819&ds_rl=1242884&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1246978&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9JzoBRDjARIsAGcdIDUwwTIGhiI-fpUTOXW2tF9fYlqk3y2vChOUvqUQ962L8S74DFo8zXoaAkPNEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Probably does just as good a job.  Of course, you might want to consider a second reserve...just in case.

4 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

year 1: 5% is boys and 5% is girls

Year 2: 7% is boys and 3% is girls

Year 3: 9% is boys and 1% is girls

Now a decrease in growth rate like that might make some people say that something is happening. A distribution like that is not normal. Some might even simplify it by saying less girls are being born. Do you think a fair response to that is: There are still more girls being born than the year before, nothing has changed?

That is a lot different than saying coal production is down.

It sounds like wishful thinking - and falsehood - 

It sounds like no one wants to look at the truth.

It sounds like it doesn't feel right - so we aren't going to mention the details.