-Wildchild-

Buying used Vector: measurements differences?

Hi guys !

I'm looking to buy a used Vector (in Europe), and have found one that looks very close to my size. The seller is trustworthy, but I cannot try the rig before buying (it's in another country and would be shipped). I do have the precise measurements, and would like your advice on how they compare with mine:

My measurements:

Height: 5’ 10”
Weight: 162 lbs
Chest: 39’
Waist: 34’
Torso: 19.6’
Legpad: 33'
Inseam: 32'

His measurements:

Height: 5’ 10”
Weight: 155lbs
Chest: 37.4’
Waist: 32.3’
Torso: 17.3’
Leg pad: 31.5’
Inseam: 33.85’

My sense is that the measurements are actually rather close; so I think this could fit. But your input would be highly valued - so to not receive something that will be off.

Thank you very much, and have a great day :)

Pobrause

might, might not...
Was it a tight fit on him or was there plenty of room left?
I'd say get the serial number and ask UPT directly.

Was custom made for him, so the right fit.
I've sent an email to UPT and we'll see... but given that the differences are not huge, I thought maybe someone on the forum could hint if it would work out or not ;-)

I've spent the last 15 years jumping a rig that's a little too small for me; I bought it sight unseen. If it were that awful, I probably would have gotten rid of it.

The tightness for me is minor. My husband, who is my height but has much broader shoulders, cannot wear the same rig.

You might find that the leg hardware doesn't sit on the legpad, but is instead against your body. Mine has been that way -- it's not ideal, but it's a comfort thing, and it's not hard for a rigger to make you new leg pads.

In the US sometimes people will ship rigs to an intermediary rigger, who will inspect and allow someone to try gear on, with the buyer and seller agreeing on who will pay for postage if the rig doesn't fit. The buyer normally pays for the rigger to evaluate, because, well, he's the one benefitting...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think people believe that their "Custom Fit" harness is made precisely to their exact specific measurements. In reality "Custom Fit" means you were "Fit" into a bracket that works based on each manufacturer's particular formula (Lift web/Lateral/Hip Junction/Yoke). So a "Custom" harness has more range than you would suspect.
That being said, in my opinion:
A) Comparing your measurements to the actual harness measurements is more relevant than comparing yourself to the sellers measurements.
B) A 2+ inch Torso difference is a fair bit. Maybe more than the legstraps and yoke can account for, especially when the lateral is taken into account.

wmw999

You might find that the leg hardware doesn't sit on the legpad, but is instead against your body. Mine has been that way -- it's not ideal, but it's a comfort thing, and it's not hard for a rigger to make you new leg pads.

If this is the case it is not a sizing issue. The leg pads were simply made too short. Regardless of the size of the person wearing the rig the dimension from the hip to the hardware shouldn't change.