SpeedRacer

flag display, national anthem, etc.

Yep.

United States Code Title 36, Chapter 10:

§171. Conduct during playing
During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

If I see a guy still wearing his hat during the national anthem I will remove it for him.

I do that in nice restaraunts too.

Two wrongs make what again?

I don't see a problem with asking someone to remove their hat in these situations, reminding them what manners are, but doing it for them might demonstrate you're not particularly well-versed yourself.

If they comply, fantastic; if they don't... well... I'm a bit of a misanthrope and don't expect much from the average person.

Also, in the case of the national anthem, I'd probably wait until after it was completed to say anything. I think showing the anthem your respect trumps seeing to it that others follow suit.

if i'm in a situation where another countries national anthem is being played, i'll show respect by standing if thats required and not talking... its only a minute or two out of my life, so why not? its hardly a hard thing to do when others want you to stand and be quiet

if i'm in a situation where another countries national anthem is being played, i'll show respect by standing if thats required and not talking... its only a minute or two out of my life, so why not? its hardly a hard thing to do when others want you to stand and be quiet

I have no problem with doing that as a visitor. Every country has different customs and expectations of visitors - I was curious what the general expectation in the US is.
If I visit the US, I will show respect to you and your anthem in your country by keeping quiet, and even standing, if that's what's expected. :)
For example, to compare cultures, as a South African, I would not expect a citizen of another country to stand, or put his hand on his heart while my anthem was playing - it's not his motherland, and I don't expect him to show any allegiance to it, just respect us (keep quiet) while we show our allegiance.

Yep.

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

you mean to tell me that after all these years I have been doing it wrong?

I usually just drop my pants and stand with my flagpole at attention facing the music...B|:P

Yep.

You're such a lawyer... :P B|

I usually just drop my pants and stand with my flagpole at attention facing the music...B|:P

Yo! Wake up! You're dreaming again. :P
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...